Match Report


Tue 10 Aug 10

by Hannah Ingram at Hillsborough

Bury's first away game of the new season saw them travel over the Pennines and into South Yorkshire to League One's Sheffield Wednesday for the first round of the Carling Cup. Bury hadn't won at Hillsborough since 1948 and had also been knocked out at the first time of asking in the Carling Cup for the past three seasons. The Owls won the cup in 1991 but had been knocked outby League Two opposition in the previous two seasons, so on paper, it looked set to be an interesting match.

An early corner for Bury on 4 minutes came from Peter Sweeney on the right; it met the head of Efe Sodje in front of goal, but it was an easy save for Nicky Weaver in the Owls net.

A curling ball forward from Ryan Lowe on 17 minutes from just past the half way line set up Andy Bishop as he ran forward, beating the offside trap. He took a touch of the ball, aiming for the bottom left hand corner of the net, but it was blocked in its path by Weaver.

Gary Teale saw his 19th minute effort from the right of the box deflected away for a corner after he sneaked through with a cheeky pass from the right.

Steven Schumacher felt ambitious on 26 minutes, trying a long range effort after a pass inside from Andy Howarth, but it went well wide of the right post.

Bury failed to take advantage of some poor defending from Sheffield Wednesday on 38 minutes; Andy Haworth pinched the ball before passing inside to Ryan Lowe who took the ball forward before shooting well wide of the right post.

Haworth managed a shot on goal on his own on 43 minutes after Bishop managed to hold the ball on the edge of the box; he drilled it low but unfortunately just wide.

Time was soon called on a decent first half for Bury; the home side had barely threatened their goal and the Shakers had played some good passing football. Sheffield Wednesday had made six changes to the team that beat Dagenham and Redbridge on the opening day of the season, but at the halfway point, the Owls didn't appear to be a league above the Shakers.

Half Time - Sheffield Wednesday 0 Bury 0

Half Time Substitutions for Sheffield Wednesday- Clinton Morrison on for Paul Heffernan, Giles Coke on for Daniel Jones

A confident cross from Neil Mellor on 48 minutes looked to set up the Owls as he powered through towards goal before Tom Lees put the ball out for a corner.

GOAL!Sheffield Wednesday took the lead on 58 minutes after Giles Coke made the most of a good pass into the box on the left, before shooting low and hard into the bottom corner of the net.

Sheffield Wednesday 1 Bury 0

Darren Potter almost put the ball into his own net on 62 minutes after a cross from Ryan Lowe on the left shocked the Owls back line.

Bishop rattled the crossbar moments later after he made space between two Wednesday defenders in front of goal.

Substitution for Sheffield Wednesday on 63 minutes - James O'Connor on for Liam Palmer

Efe Sodje found himself in trouble on 67 minutes after bringing down Mellor just outside the box. The resulting free kick was dangerous from Tommy Spurr, as he struck the crossbar before watching the ball bounce in front of the line and back out.

Yellow card for Bury on 67 minutes - Efe Sodje

Double Substitution for Bury on 75 minutes - Danny Carlton on for Andy Bishop, Lennell John-Lewis on for Ryan Lowe

Bury took two shots at goal on 78 minutes as John-Lewis tried his luck only to see it blocked before Tom Lees tried a powerful drive that was stopped by Weaver, despite him spilling the ball at first.

Substitution for Bury on 84 minutes - David Worrall on for Peter Sweeney

Haworth tried a long-range effort on 86 minutes which tested Weaver; he spilled the ball out to the feet of John-Lewis but he fluffed his chance to finish the move.

Morrison somehow managed to miss an open goal with a free header on the right of the box on 88 minutes after a strong cross from the left hand side.

Three minutes of additional time were indicated by the fourth official and Bury tried to take the ball forward for that elusive equaliser.

Haworth tried his luck from distance again in added time, but his effort flew over the bar.

Time was soon called on a match that took it's time to gather pace but in the end, the Owls solitary goal was enough to take them through. It seemed unlucky for Bury to lose out on a place in the second round after a promising first half, but it was the Owls who took their chance when they had it, whereas Bury will look back at the chances they had and wonder how they didn't score.

The Shakers were applauded off the field by a standing ovation from the home supporters, as well as a good send off from the travelling faithful behind the net.

Bury return to the business of the football league in their next match, travelling down to newly promoted Oxford United on Saturday.

Full Time - Sheffield Wednesday 1 Bury 0

Attendance - 7390

Bury:Cameron Belford, Phil Picken, Joe Skarz, Tom Lees, Peter Sweeney, Steven Schumacher (c), Andy Bishop, Andy Haworth, Michael Jones, Ryan Lowe, Efetobore Sodje

Subs:David Worrall, Danny Carlton, Lenell John-Lewis, Richie Branagan, Andrai Jones, Zach Rothwell

Sheffield Wednesday: Nicky Weaver, Tommy Spurr, Darren Purse (c), Paul Heffernan, Daniel Jones, Darren Potter, Mark Beevers, Gary Teale, Liam Palmer, Neil Mellor, Jon Ottsemobor

Subs:Lewis Buxton, Richard Hinds, Giles Coke, James O'Connor, Luke Boden, Aaron Jameson, Clinton Morrison

    Data provided by Press Association

    Recent Match Reports