Match Report


Sat 08 Jan 11

Accrington Stanley vs Bury
by Hannah Ingram at the Crown Ground

Both Accrington and Bury had similar results in their first two games of 2011, with both recording a 2-2 draw and losing their other game.

Accrington lost on New Year's Day at Morecambe","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;" href="#">Morecambe, but their last game saw them claim a point at home to high-flying Chesterfield","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;" href="#">Chesterfield at home, but will see it as two points dropped after being 2-0 up until the 88th minute.

Bury were looking to recover from their 1-0 loss at Bradford, building on the momentum that got them a point at home to Macclesfield on New Year's Day, after falling 2-0 down.

Stanley were sitting in 18th place at the start of play, while Bury had slipped to fifth after their loss in Yorkshire.

Accrington have a reputation for scoring plenty at home, while Bury have notoriously played better away from Gigg Lane in recent games. The most unlikely result would be a 0-0 draw.

A good drive from Sean McConville tested Cameron Belford on 9 minutes, forcing him to dive to his left to save the shot from the edge of the box.

Terry Gornell did all the hard work on the right wing on 16 minutes before taking the ball into the box; he shot from a tight angle, only to see it blocked by Belford's feet.

James Ryan somehow missed from close range following a corner on the left on 18 minutes; he was left at the near post with the simple task of putting the ball in the net but saw the ball put out of play.

Ryan came close again on 21 minutes, curling a shot just wide of the right post after Phil Picken didn't close him down.

Michael Jones tried a shot from the right of the box on 25 minutes after Andy Haworth and Nicky Ajose took the ball forward; a pass to Ryan Lowe followed, who tried to set up Damien Mozika before Jones picked up the loose ball and saw the ball stopped by Ian Dunbavin.

Haworth paced down the left wing on 29 minutes before cutting inside and sending a shot along the ground, only to see it scooped up by Dunbavin at the left post,

A tricky surface, including a muddy midfield, was making this game hard for both sides, specifically a Bury side who wanted to get the ball down and play a passing game,

Jones tried his luck from distance on 41 minutes from the left of the box after a quickly-taken corner, but the ball bounced across the face of goal and out of play.

McConville saw his curling effort from just inside the box just before the break saved by a diving Belford, who saw the ball out for a corner.

Time was soon called on a first half that was dominated in parts by the home side. Bury had their brighter moments but were finding the boggy surface hard to contend with.

A move direct approach was needed from the Shakers if they were to get the ball in the net in this Lancashire derby.

Half Time - Accrington 0 Bury 0

Both sides returned to the field with no changes made.

A curling free kick from Ryan on 47 minutes tested Belford in the Bury goal once more, seeing him dive to his left and put the ball out for a corner.

Substitution for Accrington on 58 minutes - Leam Richardson on for Ray Putterill

Substitution for Bury on 64 minutes - Lenell John-Lewis on for Nicky Ajose

Yellow card for Bury on 66 minutes - Efe Sodje

Substitution for Bury on 69 minutes - Kyle Bennett on for Andy Haworth

GOAL! Joseph Jacobson broke the deadlock on 76 minutes rising high to a corner from the right hand side, placing the ball into the bottom left hand corner.

Accrington 1 Bury 0

Yellow card for Accrington on 79 minutes - Leam Richardson

Substitution for Bury on 80 minutes - David Worrall on for Phil Picken

Yellow card for Bury on 89 minutes - Ryan Lowe

Four minutes of additional time was indicated by the fourth official as Bury searched for an equaliser, but the Shakers hadn't threatened a goal for the entire half.

The third minute of added time saw a low shot from Schumacher, which was deflected but still saved by Dunbavin.

Time was soon called on a disappointing game for Bury. A single goal was enough to condemn the Shakers to their second defeat in two games.

A largely uneventful match was decided by a 76th minute header in a second half that Bury never seemed to feature in. Spurts of pressure from Accrington were enough to see Bury defeated on a pitch that was a problem for both sides.

Full Time - Accrington 1 Bury 0

Bury: Cameron Belford, Phil Picken, Joe Skarz, Tom Lees, Steven Schumacher, Andy Haworth, Michael Jones, Ryan Lowe, Efe Sodje, Damien Mozika, Nicky Ajose

Subs:Ben Futcher, Peter Sweeney, David Worrall, Lenell John-Lewis, Kyle Bennett, Gavin Gunning, Richie Branagan

Accrington Stanley: Ian Dunbavin, Dean Winnard, Kevin Long, Andy Proctor, James Ryan, Charlie Barnett, Sean McConville, Phil Edwards, Ray Putterill, Terry Gornell, Joseph Jacobson

Subs: Sean Hessey, Leam Richardson, Luke Joyce, Peter Murphy, Andrew Atkinson, Alex Cisak, Rory Boulding

    Data provided by Press Association

    Recent Match Reports