Match Report


Sat 12 Feb 11

Stockport County vs Bury
by Hannah Ingram at Edgeley Park

Bury's resounding win at Gigg Lane in midweek set them up well to face a team rooted to the bottom of the table facing a uphill struggle to keep their league status.

Goals for Ryan Lowe, Efe Sodje and the returning Andy Bishop placed Bury fifth in the table, but just a point off Rotherham in fourth place and with two games in hand.

The home side brought in striker Matt Paterson in on loan from Southend to give their squad a boost in what will be a mini-season of survival for Stockport.

An early ball forward from Adam Griffin set up Anthony Elding on the right of the box; he brought the ball down well, but shooting from an acute angle saw it saved by the feet of Cameron Belford.

Loanee and debutant Paterson left the field on 9 minutes with a cut to his head after clashing heads with Tom Lees, but returned on 15 minutes as Andy Haworth went back to the dressing room.

Substitution for Bury on 16 minutes - Ben Futcher on for Tom Lees

Lees made a very solemn walk behind the Bury goal and back to the changing room looking very groggy after his earlier clash of heads. Haworth returned to the field on 20 minutes after Bury had played five minutes with ten men.

David Poole was allowed the space to run forward with a Stockport counter attack on 23 minutes, before crossing to Adam Griffin whose header was blocked by Belford.

Bury's first notable chance arrived on 43 minutes in a half that was poor for both sides. A looping cross from Ryan Lowe met the head of Andy Bishop at the far post but his effort was cleared for a corner.

Efe Sodje will wonder how he didn't score for Bury moments later; a pinpoint cross from Michael Jones on the right swept to the far post and met the head of Sodje as he surged forward, but he headed well wide.

After two minutes of additional time, the referee soon called time on a poor half of football. The pitch wasn't helping matters but Stockport were keen to track each Bury player and make their day hard work. At the same time, Bury were struggling to form any decent attack and it took them until almost half time to show any signs of breaking the deadlock.

Half Time - Stockport 0 Bury 0

Both sides returned to the field with no changes made.

Lowe paced forward on the right of the box on 49 minutes, but his powered drive was saved by Matt Glennon.

Paterson blasted wide of the right post on 63 minutes after a good forward ball found him on the right hand side, but he sent it well wide with his left foot.

A poor backwards header to Glennon from Daniel O'Donnell on 65 minutes gave Bishop the chance to intercept; he took the ball into the box but hit it straight at Glennon's legs.

GOAL! Paterson broke the deadlock for Stockport on 66 minutes with a shot from the right of the box which left Belford outstretched. A very well-taken goal for the Southend loanee, taking Stockport off the foot of the league.

Stockport 1 Bury 0

Stockport saw a goal disallowed on 70 minutes after Elding was judged to be offside. It was a sigh of relief for Bury as the home team was live and kicking.

Substitution for Bury on 75 minutes - Lenell John-Lewis on for Andy Haworth

Yellow card for Bury on 76 minutes - Ben Futcher

Substitution for Stockport on 81 minutes - Andy Halls on for David Poole

GOAL! Elding made it two for the home side with five minutes of normal time remaining. He was in the right place at the right time to bury the ball from the left of the box.

Stockport 2 Bury 0

Substitution for Bury on 87 minutes - David Worrall on for Phil Picken

GOAL! Ryan Lowe clawed one back for Bury on 88 minutes after another bad backwards header from Stockport allowed a Bury forward to intercept; he took the ball round Glennon with ease and finished from the right of the box.

Stockport 2 Bury 1

Lenell John-Lewis could have saved a point for Bury with a minute to go, but his header from close range was straight at Glennon.

In the dying moments of normal time, John-Lewis saw a goal disallowed after the referee deemed him to have handballed in the lead up.

Yellow card for Bury on 90+1 minutes - Damien Mozika

Substitution for Stockport on 90+2 minutes - Mansour Assoumani on for Matt Paterson

The three minutes of added time were soon over and Stockport chalked up their first win on 2011 which lifted them from the bottom of the league.

Bury will be devastated to lose such a crucial game, but the home side were not going to make the game easy by any means and worked hard for the win in a game that lacked any action until the first goal.

The Shakers return to Gigg Lane on Tuesday night to face table toppers Chesterfield","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;" href="#">Chesterfield, and with both teams losing their last game, it will be interesting to see who comes out fighting on the night.

Full Time - Stockport 2 Bury 1

Bury:Cameron Belford, Phil Picken, Joe Skarz, Tom Lees, Steven Schumacher (c), Andy Bishop, Andy Haworth, Michael Jones, Ryan Lowe, Efe Sodje, Damien Mozika

Subs:Ben Futcher, Peter Sweeney, David Worrall, Lenell John-Lewis, Kyle Bennett, Richie Branagan, Max Harrop

Stockport County: Matt Glennon, Mark Lynch, Alan Goodall, Paul Turnbull (c), Greg Tansey, Anthony Elding, Matt Paterson, Adam Griffin, David Poole, Daniel O'Donnell, Aaron Brown

Subs: Mansour Assoumani, James Vincvent, Matty Mainwairing, Andy Halls, Danny Rowe, Tom Fisher, Ian Ormson

Ref:D McDermid
Asst:P Bankes, S Stockbridge
4th:D Gratton

    Data provided by Press Association

    Recent Match Reports