Match Report


Sat 19 Feb 11

With Andy Bishop being struck down with a virus and Ben Futcher suffering a hamstring injury during the midweek reserve game, it was a case of whoever is left that made the long trip to Gillingham","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;">Gillingham for this promotion six pointer.

A quick start for the home side saw an early throw conceded.Maher's delivery into the box from the throw brought a good test for the Bury backline, with Tom Lees rising above all to head away but a deep cross in from the left gave Cameron Belford his first touch of the ball.

A bury free kick on the edge of the centre circle, following a foul on Mozika, saw Schumacher clip the ball into the Gillingham","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;">Gillingham box, though the home defence dealt with the delivery quite easily and cleared down the field .

Bury opened the chances on seven minutes when a Cameron Belford free kick was flicked wide by John-Lewis to Mike Jones, his quick ball back into the box found Lenell John-Lewis, in front of goal and with virtually an open goal.Unbelievably, LJL ballooned the shot high over the bar when it looked easier to score.

Gillingham","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;">Gillingham had their first chance on 11 minutes when good work from Akinfenwa released Weston.The flight of the ball took him wide of the Bury penalty box and he snapped his shot across the goalmouth and wide of the target.

Damien Mozika earned himself a yellow card on 16 minutes with a challenge onto the back of Matt Lawrence, the resulting free kick though was wasted with it skidding out of play for a Bury free kick.

A Bury throw moments later saw a great flick from Lenell John-Lewis, his header was initially cleared but only as far as Phil Picken, Picken took two touches and fired a shot on goal that took the tiniest of deflection and flew straight to keeper Alan Julian.

Another foul by Mozika, this time on the edge of the Bury box, brought a free kick for the Gill's.A curling effort from Jackman brought a good athletic dive from Belford, though in truth, the effort was sailing wide of the target.

Another Bury free kick on 22 minutes saw Schumacher curl the ball into the back post, though this time there was no challenge and Julian managed to hold and clear the delivery.

Gillingham","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;">Gillingham took the lead on 245 minute's when Curtis Weston took on three Bury defenders, he took the ball away from Sodje, around Picken and blasted it through Tom Lees to find the bottom corner, giving Belford no chance.

Goal:Gillingham","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;">Gillingham 1 Bury 0 (Weston 24)

Gillingham","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;">Gillingham had an excellent chance to double their lead within 30 seconds of taking the lead.A good ball forward found McDonald, he took the ball around Lees but fired wide of the target with only the keeper to beat.

A 35th minutes free kick, taken twice, both brought the same result - a quick break into the box from Ryan Lowe and headers pushed away by a resilient home defence.

A good Bury move on 40 minutes saw the home defenders leave a loose ball, with it heading to the touchline, Joe Skarz suddenly appeared.Not only did he keep the ball in play, but his flashed ball across the face of goal - at pace - was missed by his teammates, allowing the home side to clear.

Joe Skarz delivered a stunning ball into the box; Mike Jones on the back post brought it down and instead of shooting, attempted to get the ball to Ryan Lowe.Lowe had already moved to a new position and the chance was lost.

Barry Fuller collected a yellow card on 43 minutes for a foul on Worrall, Schumacher's delivery to the near post brought a good save from the home keeper and pushed away for a corner.Schumacher's delivery from that corner though was well dealt with by the large Garry Richards.

Moments later, Lenell John-Lewis suddenly found the ball at his feet, inside the area though he couldn't get it around the last defender and Mike Jones screwed his effort well wide of the target from just inside the box.

Half Time: Gillingham","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;">Gillingham 1 Bury 0

A good interception by Steven Schumacher on Lawrence saw the ball drop for Lenell John-Lewis.He took two or three touches before shooting at goal; the shot took a deflection and flew away for a Bury corner.Schumacher delivery though, was well dealt with by the large form of Akinfenwa who powerfully headed away from the area.

A fourth Bury corner in as many minutes from Schumacher, was knocked towards the back post but with nobody in position, keeper Julian was allowed to easily collect and quickly clear up the field, though with the Shakers certainly looking the brighter of the two sides

Some good spells of possession from the Shakers, with short sharp passing, wasn't really working to get the ball forward.When they did find chances, it usually ended with a block from a tight defence or a shot drifting wide or over the target.Once such chance fell to David Worrall on 55 minutes.Good work from several players eventually saw Worrall collect the ball on the edge of the box, his shot at goal though - straight down the keepers throat, making it very easy to save and collect.

Lenell John-Lewis had the ball in the back of the Gill's goal on 56 minutes, but a raised flag from the officials ruled the effort out with a late, but correct offside decision.LJL had another half chance minutes later, and again from a Worrall cross, though this time his header on target lacked power and pace.

Another Bury corner on 62 minutes, following some clever work from Ryan Lowe, saw Schumacher deliver the ball deep only for referee Stroud to blow following a foul by Tom Lees.

Another good building move from Bury came on 63 minutes, again with several players involved; the ball eventually fell to David Worrall, whose cross found Ryan Lowe.The Shakers leading scorer headed on target, again without any real power or pace.Perhapsa quick shot on goal would have been a better option.

A 67th minute Bury free kick saw Schumacher deliver into the box, Lenell John-Lewis saw the ball pushed clear and Gillingham","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;">Gillingham quickly broke with substitute Barcham. His first touch took the ball away from Tom Lees and his second touch saw him shoot on target that brought a good save from Belford. From Belford's clearance, the ball fell to Ryan Lowe and with a 50-50 race with the home keeper. Alan Julian obviously came out worse and after writhing around in agony for a moment or two, re-started the game with a long punt forward after a moments treatement.

Another Bury free kick brought a shot on goal from John-Lewis, though again his effort was deflected out for a corner. Schumacher's delivery was again cleared but a good challenge by John-Lewis released Lowe, this time the Shakers striker made sure by slamming the ball into the roof of the net to make it all square.

Goal: Gillingham","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;">Gillingham 1 Bury 1 (Lowe 71)

A Michael Jones curling cross into the box brought a good run from Steven Schumacher, his dive to get his head onto the ball looked very acrobatic though he failed to connect.

Another stunning move on 78 minutes brought tempo. passing and movement - which finished with Andy Haworth being felled on the edge of the Gillingham","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;">Gillingham box. The resulting free kick saw Ryan Lowe fire the ball straight into the Gillingham","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;">Gillingham wall and out to safety.

A Gillingham","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;">Gillingham corner on 83 minutes saw their delivery quickly cleared for a Bury counter attack. Haworth and Lowe combined well before Haworth crossed into the box, though this itme his effort wasnt as accurate as it could have been and Julian collected the ball.

Gillingham","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;">Gillingham should have won the game with two minutes of the game left, a looping cross into the box from Maher saw Barcham in acres of space - luckily for Bury his effort sailed higher over the bar that John-Lewis's effort in the first half. Moments later a Bury free kick saw Sweeney deliver a peach of the ball across the pitch, though again the home defence cleared.

Another chance for Gillingham","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;">Gillingham deep in injury time, this time McDonald through on goal following a rare miss from Tom Lees. McDonald took the shot and Cameron Belford dropped like a stone to save the shot.

With a minute of injury time left, Bury moved forward with Haworth taking the ball into the corner, though the home defence quickly cleared the ball away from their half.

Bury: Cameron Belford, Phil Picken, Joe Skarz, Tom Lees, Efe Sodje, Steven Schumacher, Damien Mozika, Michael Jones, David Worrall, Ryan Lowe, Lenell John-Lewis

Subs: Peter Sweeney, Andy Haworth, Kyle Bennett, Richie Branagan, Andrai Jones, Max Harrop, Luke McCarthy

Gillingham","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;">Gillingham: Alan Julian, Barry Fuller (c), John Nutter, Curtis Weston, Garry Richards, Kevin Maher, Cody McDonald, Matt Lawrence, Danny Jackman, Adebayo Akinfenwa, Jack Payne

Subs: Mark Bentley, Andy Barcham, Luke Rooney, Dennis Oli, Andy White, Lance Cronin, Tony Sinclair

Ref: Keith Stroud
Asst: Gavin Mauge
Asst: Matt Stewart
Barry Holderness

Gate: 5,021 (146 (Minus 1 at half time))

    Data provided by Press Association

    Recent Match Reports