Match Report


Sat 30 Apr 11

Bury vs Wycombe Wanderers
by Hannah Ingram at Gigg Lane

After a memorable afternoon in Chesterfield","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;">Chesterfield on Easter Monday afternoon, Bury were promoted to League One with a thrilling 3-2 victory.

They still had two games left to play, welcoming Wycombe to Gigg Lane for their final home fixture. The Chairboys were inches from clinching the last automatic promotion place and would be looking for a win, but with Chesterfield","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;">Chesterfield only managing a 0-0 draw at Torquay last night, the title was still a possibility for the Shakers.

Wycombe had to scrap it out with Shrewsbury for the third and final automatic promotion place, taking the pressure off Bury - unless they wanted a stab at claiming the title.

It was a good start for Bury, with Kyle Bennett causing Wycombe all types of trouble on the right hand side. He beat his man on his way into the box on 10 minutes and pulled the ball back for Ryan Lowe, who shot was handled by Danny Foster and the referee pointed to the spot.

GOAL! Ryan Lowe stepped up to convert the penalty and chalk up his 27th league goal of the season, putting Bury at the top of the league.

Bury 1 Wycombe 0

Lowe threaded the ball through to Bennett on the right on 19 minutes, but his curling shot went just wide of the far post.

GOAL! Wycombe brought things level moments later with a well-taken header from Gareth Ainsworth; a precision cross from Stuart Lewis fell at the far post for the Wycome captain to beat Cameron Belford.

Bury 1 Wycombe 1

Cool control from Lowe on the right set up Michael Jones on 32 minutes; Lowe squared the ball to him as he paced into the box, but the ball went just over the bar with the help of a deflection.

Scott Rendell had a golden opportunity to take the lead for Wycombe on 38 minutes, but somehow headed over the bar with a somewhat open goal in front of him.

One minute of added time was indicated by the fourth official, which ended with a Nicky Ajose attack. Bury left the field still very much in this game, but Wycombe were also playing well, paving the way for an interesting second half.

Half time - Bury 1 Wycombe 1

Ryan Lowe took the ball forward for Nicky Ajose on 47 minutes, leaving Ajose on the left of the box; his shot was blocked at the near post and sent out of play for a corner.

Kevin Betsy tried his luck from distance with a strong shot which had to be tipped over the bar by Belford.

GOAL! Ben Strevens put the visitors into the lead on 63 minutes after a dangerous cross fell to his feet at the far post, and he just needed to finish off a good move.

Bury 1 Wycombe 2

Substitute for Bury on 64 minutes - Andy Haworth on for Michael Jones

Ryan Lowe forced a good save from Nikki Bull on 70 minutes with a header at the near post following a cross from Andy Haworth on the left.

Scott Donnelly was denied on 73 minutes with a strong shot which Belford got his body behind to send the ball out for a corner.

Substitution for Bury on 74 minutes - Lenell John-Lewis on for David Worrall

Haworth tried a low drive from the edge of the box on 80 minutes which Bull met at the near post, before spilling the ball in front of him.

Substitute for Wycombe on 81 minutes - Matt Bloomfield on for Gareth Ainsworth

Substitution for Wycombe on 84 minutes - Lewis Montrose on for Scott Rendell

Substitution for Bury on 85 minutes - Max Harrop on for Peter Sweeney

GOAL! Wycombe extended their lead on 87 minutes with a second goal from Strevens; scrappy defending left him free to make the Wycombe fans believe they were even closer to clinching promotion in their final game.

Bury 1 Wycombe 3

Lowe was denied from a brilliant shot on 89 minutes - a free kick, which may as well have been a corner, from Steven Schumacher rolled to Lowe who was waiting on the edge of the box, but Bull saw it well and blocked at the far post.

Three minutes of added time were indicated by the fourth official as Bury knew it would take a minor miracle to get anything from this game. Time was eventually called, after over 6 minutes of added time, on an afternoon where Bury took their lap of honour on their home turf to celebrate promotion, despite losing their final home game.

Wycombe knew they needed a win to keep their promotion hopes alive, and they were well up for the game and the pressure which accompanied it.

Bury travel to Stevenage" target="_blank">Stevenage","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;">Stevenage" target="_blank">Stevenage for their final game of the season, knowing that a shot at the league title is still mathematically possible although it will be an uphill climb.

Full Time - Bury 1 Wycombe 3

Attendance - 6238 (679 visitors)

    Data provided by Press Association

    Recent Match Reports