Match Report


Sat 14 Aug 10

Gordon Sorfleet at the Kassam Stadium

Bury got their passing game going early in the game with a nine pass move resulting in keeper Clarke clattering Ryan Lowe, the ball skidded out for a corner with Lowe climbing back to his feet. Sweeney took the corner short and the home side eventually chased the ball down for Green who slid a precise ball into the box for Midson, his point blank shot though was smashed clear by Cameron Belford denying Oxford their first goal back in the Football League.

Oxford should have gone ahead on four minutes when a free kick floated into the Bury box fell to Asa Hall, his smash on the volley though went straight to Belford who thankfully smashed the ball clear. From his clearance Ryan Lowe got the ball to the opposite by-line but failed to keep the ball on the pitch.

A long clearance from Ryan Clarke was half cleared by Sodje on 7 minutes, though his header fell to James Constable around 25 yards off the Shakers goal line, Constable allowed the ball to drop over his shoulder and rifled a stunning shot on goal that cannoned off the cross bar and away to safety.

Bury crafted a good half chance on 11 minutes when Haworth slid the ball into acres of space for Phil Picken, his quick cross into the box found the head of Andy Bishop though the Shakers striker failed to keep it down and the ball flew high over the crossbar.

Belford came to Bury's rescue again on 12 minutes when a through ball had Constable racing Belford to the loose ball through the middle of the pitch. Thankfully Belford won the race and collected the ball as it bounced into his box..

A good Bury move on 18 minutes saw Mike Jones jink down the flank and cross the ball into the middle for Lowe, as Lowe flicked the ball on Jake Wright again smashed the Bury striker to the floor, but Lowe's flick found Haworth and his close range drive was deflected for a corner.Sweeney's delivery though flew too close to the keeper and Clarke collected easily.

Bury took the lead on 25 minutes when a curling Peter Sweeney free kick found a charging Tom Lees who powered the header across the keeper and into the far corner for his and the clubs first goal of the season.

Goal: Oxford United 0 Bury 1 (Lees 25)

Bury could have doubled their lead on 29 minutes, good work fromAndy Haworth down the flank saw him whip the ball forward, but the curling effort was just too far in front of Andy Bishop, though the Shakers striker did stretch and connect, all he could do was loop the ball high over the bar.

The equaliser came some five minutes later with Oxford players zipping the ball in and around the box.Eventually it fell to Constable, his little slip to Midson saw the ball smashed into the back of Belford's goal.

Goal: Oxford United 1 Bury 1 (Midson 30)

Mike Jones could have put Bury back into the lead straight from the kick off, a good ball forward from Schumacher found the Bury winger, but shot at goal flew straight at the keeper.His clearance went down the flank where the U's were awarded a free kick.Green's delivery into the box found Constable, who again failed to connect and skewed his effort wide of Belford's goal.

Another good move from Bury came on 35 minutes with a nine pass move finished by Schumacher heading the ball over the bar.Constable and Midson continued to harass the Bury back line though again, Sodje & Picken dealt with their combined efforts to clear the danger.

Oxford could again have taken the lead on 42 minutes; Constable used his strength to throw Sodje aside, but again could not put the ball into the back of the net thanks to another save by Cameron Belford.Midson delivered the ball back towards Constable but a crashing challenge from Sodje brought a free kick to the home side that the Shakers wall dealt with comfortably.

Half Time: Oxford United 1 Bury 1

Bury won a very cheap corner on 52 minutes when a Bishop flick found Ryan Lowe, his curling ball into the box found the head of Oxford's Jake Wright who needlelessly headed the ball away for a Bury corner.The delivery from Mike Jones though was too close to the keeper and Clarke easily collected.

Oxford won a corner on 57 minutes with a good challenge by Phil Picken.The ball drifted to the egde of the box where Green unleashed a ferocious volley on target.With a goal looking the only outcome and Belford unsighted, he suddenly managed to flick the ball over the bar for another corner.

A short Bury free kick caught the home side cold, though Sweebey's delivery was fractionally ahead of Bishop, he still managed to stretch and connect with the ball, only to put it the wrong side of the upright and out for a goal kick.

Andy Haworth began to find some room onb 70 minutes and had two good sprints into the box. The first saw his shot fly high, wide and handsome though whilst the second attempt saw him crash into three defenders who managed to get the ball clear. Bury began to apply some pressure looking to get ahead in the game, Lowe in partiular was showing some determination and found Bishop wide of the area moments later, though the cross from Bishop into the area lacked strength and Worley headed clear before it fell to a charging Haworth.

An Oxford corner on 72 minutes saw Phil Picken clear the first ball into the biox, his quick delivery found Haworth who knocked it into the corner for Jones to chase, unfortunately though his cross into the biox was way too early and Clarke collected the cross with some ease.

Peter Sweeney collected a yellow card on 73 minutes when attempting to prevent Oxford from taking a quick free kick. From the short free kick, the ball was delivered into the Bury area where Belford flew at the ball and punched clear, only for it to come straight back from Constable, though again, Belford was first to the ball and clutched it to his chest.

James Constable took the game by the scruff of the neck on 78 minutes by flying into the corner with the ball and then zipping a hard ball into the area, though thankfully too fast for Deering to get hold off. Bury got the ball clear only for it to come straight back before the home crowd screamed for a penalty following a foul by Skarz. The referee waved away all protests and the home side increased the pressure with a deep throw.

Bishop received a yellow card soon after following a challenge on Wright, though the resulting free kick from Deering was well dealt with by the Bury back four before Sweeney smashed it down the field.

Bury took the lead moments later with a sweeping ball forward from Sweeney, he found Haworth who quickly slid it through to Ryan Lowe. Last seasons leading scorer took one touch to take it past the keeper and rolled the ball over the line to make it 2-1.

Goal: Oxford United 1 Bury 2 (Lowe 79)

The Bury goal seemed to take the sting out of the game for a minute or two with Oxford just not looking the same side as we had seen ten minutes earlier. With minutes to go, Oxford should have taken a share of the spoils when James COnstable on the six yard line somehow managed to fire the ball wide of the target with Belford rooted to the spot.. Asa Hall tried a minute later with a firm drive from just outside the area, but again his shot drifted wide of the target.

David Worrall collected a yellow card with minutes to go following a trip on Deering just as the fourth official showed an extra four minutes of the game were to be played. A foul by Sodje on Constable outside the area brought concern for the travelling Shakers fans with two of the four minutes gone. Sam Deering played the ball across the area to Batt, his cross was put out for a corner and when the delivery came into the box, ANdy Haworth was well placed to smash it clear.

FInally, the officials decided enough was enough and the first points and goals of the season were in the bag.

Final Score: Oxford 1 Bury 2

Bury: Cameron Belford, Phil Picken, Joe Skarz, Tom Lees, Peter Sweeney, Steven Schumacher (c), Andy Bishop (Bennett 90), Andy Haworth, Michael Jones (Worrall 77), Ran Lowe (Bennett 83), Efetobore Sodje

Subs: David Worrall, Danny Carlton, Lenell John-Lewis, Kyle Bennett, Ritchie Branagan, Andrai Jones, Max Harrop

Oxford United: Ryan Clarke, Damian Batt, Anthony Tonkin, Dannie Bulman, Jake Wright, Simon Helsop, James Constable (c), Jack Midson (Deering 72), Asa Hall, Harry Worley, Matt Green (Potter 72)

Subs: Mark Creighton, Simon Clist, Alfie Potter, Mitchell Cole, Richie Baker, Sam Deering, Simon Eastwood

Ref: Steve Tanner
Asst Ref: I Crouch
Asst Ref: A Rodda
4th Official: N Radford

Gate: 7,552 (375)

    Data provided by Press Association

    Recent Match Reports