Match Report


Sat 28 Aug 10

Barnet v Bury
by Hannah Ingram at Underhill

Bury's hard fought 1-1 draw against Northampton had set them up well to face a Barnet side who had been well and truly trounced by Crewe to the tune of a 7-0 score line in their previous game. The Bury players were in agreement that facing Barnet so soon after a devastating result would never be easy as they would have a lot to prove. Alan Knill made one change to the side that took a point against Northampton, with David Worrall getting a starting place ahead of Andy Bishop, who was resigned to the bench with a dead leg.

Bury's first real chance arrived on 12 minutes after a neat pass from Andy Haworth on the left hand side found Ryan Lowe just outside the box; he powered his shot low and to the left, but Jake Cole in the Barnet net got down well to gather the ball.

Yellow card for Barnet on 24 minutes - Daniel Leach

Haworth tried his luck on 27 minutes with a left-footed effort from outside the box, but it was straight at Cole in the Barnet net.

Yellow card for Bury on 30 minutes - Phil Picken

Glen Southam saw his effort from outside the box on 35 minutes fly just over the bar.

A dangerous corner from Rossi Jarvis minutes later tested Cameron Belford as he tipped the ball away from goal, before Efe Sodje cleared the remaining threat by sending the ball up the field.

Michael Jones tested Cole on 43 minutes with a powerful drive from just outside the box; he spilled the save, and Ryan Lowe couldn't quite claim the loose ball.

Two minutes of additional time were indicated by the fourth official, which would end a relatively uneventful first half.

Yellow card for Bury in added time - Steven Schumacher

Time was soon called on a first half that lacked any solid action. Both sides failed to get a foothold in the game and as the players retreated to their changing rooms, it seemed that this match needed an injection of spice to make it interesting.

Half Time - Barnet 0 Bury 0

Both sides returned to the field with no changes made.

Yellow card for Bury on 47 minutes - Joe Skarz

GOAL! Ryan Lowe opened the scoring on 56 minutes after a neat through ball from David Worrall on the right wing; beating the offside trap, Lowe took the ball into the right of the box before shooting into the bottom left hand corner of the net.

Barnet 0 Bury 1

Substitution for Barnet on 60 minutes - Mark Marshall on for Glenn Poole

Michael Jones saw his shot from the right of the goal trickle just wide of the left post on 64 minutes.

Moments later and Barnet had two chances in quick succession to draw things level. Glen Southam was left with space on the right of the box to tee up his shot, but Belford used his body to block before the loose ball fell to Mark Byrne, who put his header just over the bar from close range whilst under pressure from Phil Picken.

GOAL! Barnet equalised on 74 minutes after a free kick had been awarded due to a foul from Peter Sweeney. Shooting from 25 yards, substitute Mark Marshall curled a right-footed effort into the bottom left hand corner, leaving Belford outstretched.

Barnet 1 Bury 1

Substitution for Bury on 75 minutes - Danny Carlton on for David Worrall

Danny Carlton was given a chance to take all three points for Bury with five minutes left as he stood in front of goal, but before he could shoot, he was dispossessed and the ball was put out of play by Barnet.

Yellow card for Barnet on 88 minutes - Glen Southam

Substitution for Bury on 88 minutes - Andy Bishop on for Ryan Lowe

Substitution for Bury on 89 minutes - Kyle Bennett on for Andy Haworth

Five minutes of additional time were indicated by the fourth official and both sides continued the search for a late winner.

Substitution for Barnet on 90 (+1) minutes - Mark Hughes on for Glen Southam

A late free kick was awarded to Bury after a foul on Kyle Bennett; taken by Schumacher, he sent it low into the box, and after an initially first touch from Barnet, it fell to the feet of Carlton in front of goal but it became a scramble for the ball which ended as Barnet cleared the ball to the left.

Time was called soon after the goalmouth scramble, and Bury looked disappointed as they left the field. They had definitely stepped up a gear for the second half, but so had Barnet and their equaliser was very well taken.

Full Time - Barnet 1 Bury 1

The Shakers return to home turf for their next game to face recently relegated Gillingham","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;">Gillingham, and they need to find their killer instinct in order to get some more points on the board.

Attendance - 1563 (274 visitors)

Bury:Cameron Belford, Phil Picken, Joe Skarz, Tom Lees, Peter Sweeney, David Worrall, Steven Schumacher (c). Andy Haworth, Michael Jones, Ryan Lowe, Efe Sodje

Subs:Ben Futcher, Danny Carlton, Andy Bishop, Lenell John-Lewis, Kyle Bennett, Damien Mozika, Richie Branagan

Barnet:Jake Cole, Joe Devera, Darren Dennehy, Anwar Uddin (c), Rossi Jarvis, Glen Southam, Glenn Poole, Ricky Holmes, Mark Byrne, Phil Walsh, Daniel Leach

Subs:Jordan Parkes, Mark Hughes, Charlie Stimson, Danny Kelley, Phil Carpenter, Mark Marshall, Clovis Kandjo

    Data provided by Press Association

    Recent Match Reports