Match Report


Sat 06 Nov 10

Maurice Dickson at Gigg Lane.

Shakers boss, Alan Knill made one change to the Shakers line up which lost their nine match unbeaten run last Tuesday against Bradford City with Andy Haworth replacing David Worrall in the midfield. Danny Carlton dropped off the bench to be replaced by Max Harrop through illness.

The Shakers were looking to make some progress beyond the first hurdle in the F.A. Cup for the first time in three years having made first round exits last year at Aldershot and the previous year at home to Gillingham","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;">Gillingham and hopefully boost the Gigg Lane coffers in the process.

The Shakers, playing towards the Manchester Road End using the new Umbro 'Winter Ball'…an orange one to the rest of us!...almost took the lead after just two minutes with a great effort from distance by Andy Haworth which City 'keeper Artur Krysiak just got a finger tip to deflect onto his left hand post.

Shortly after Damien Mozika got the first yellow card of the game for pulling back David Noble but the free kick cam came to nothing as the League One side enjoyed the majority of possession in the opening few minutes.

On eight minutes some good work down the right hand side by Haworth and Picken led to the latter crossing deep to the far side of the box where Michael Jones controlled the ball beautifully and opted for a shot from the edge of the area which went just wide.

On fifteen minutes Efe Sodje became the second Shakers player to enter Mr Langford's book when he was harshly adjudge to have fouled Richard Logan who appeared to have backed into the big Nigerian. The booking, his fifth of the season, means that Sodje will miss Tuesday's game with Tranmere Rovers" target="_blank">Tranmere Rovers in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

From the resulting free kick former Shakers loanee, Danny Nardiello, managed to lose his marker and crashed a shot against Owain Fon Williams' post from no more than two yards out and the ball was scrambled to safety.

Two minutes later, Michael Jones also had his name taken for a foul on Noble and seconds later was involved in the build up down the right hand side which should have seen the Shakers take the lead. Jones found Picken and his ball into the box was missed by everyone and fell at the feet of Andy Haworth but the big wingers wasted the opportunity and blasted the ball high over the bar from no more than ten yards.

A minute later and the Grecians should have done better when a mix up between Schumacher and Mozika resulted in Logan bursting through and firing over the bar when, perhaps, a ball to Nardiello to his right was the better option.

The Shakers took the lead on 27 minutes when a free kick - for a foul on Ajose - was whipped in by Michael Jones and Efe Sodje powered a bullet header from eight yards out giving Krysiak no chance.

GOAL: Efe Sodje 27 minutes

It should have been two nil just sixty seconds later when Phil Picken cut into the box, after good work by Schumacher, and found Nicky Ajose. The young striker did well to spin and lose his marker but he dragged his shot just wide from eight yards.

Moments later, Richard Logan became the first Exeter player to go into Mr Langford's book after a late challenge on the industrious Phil Picken but the booking was more for persistent fouling than the actual challenge,

On 41 minutes a rare mistake by Shakers skipper Steven Schumacher almost gifted the Grecians an equalizer when his misplaced header went straight to Richard Logan who shot from the edge of the box was well saved by Owain Fon Williams in the Bury goal and it was City's big number twenty who headed the resulting corner just over the bar.

The Shakers could have extended their lead just before the break when good work by Haworth found Lowe at the back of the box but his volley dropped onto the roof of the net.

Half time Bury 1 - 0 Exeter City

Exeter almost got off to a flying start in the second half when, within thirty seconds of the restart, hit the bar with a cross-cum-shot from Liam Sercombe and they followed that up moments later with a dipping volley from 25 yards from Golbourne which Fon Williams, stretching backwards, brilliantly pushed away for a corner.

On 52 minutes the Shakers extended their lead when, from another needlessly conceded corner, Tom Lees gleefully smashed home from 12 yards when the ball wasn't fully cleared by Dunn following a beautifully flighted corner from Michael Jones.

Andy Haworth became the fourth Bury player to have his name taken by the referee for a foul on Duffy on 55 minutes as Mr Langford's pen threatened to run out of ink at the rate he was booking players when, in truth, it wasn't a dirty game.

City boss Paul Tisdale, looking every inch the resplendent country gent in a tweed jacket and flat cap, responded to the Shakers second goal by making a triple substitution in the 56th minute.

Exeter subs: Harley on for Noble; Stewart on for Logan and Cureton on for Nardiello (56 minutes)

The Shakers should have increased their lead on 65 when a wonderful through ball from Lowe found Nicky Ajose on the left hand side of the box and the youngster played a delightful ball back across the six yard box but Lowe which Lowe was inches away from getting on the end of.

Try as they might the Grecians couldn't find a way past the Shakers back line, ably marshalled by Lees and Sodje, with Mozika and Schumacher bossing the midfield and trying to get the wingers forward at every opportunity although Alan Knill made his first change in the 71st minute replacing Andy Haworth with David Worrall.

Bury Sub: Worrall on for Haworth (71 minutes)

Six minutes later the Shakers boss made another change with an out of sorts Ryan Lowe being replaced by Lenell John-Lewis

Bury Sub: John-Lewis on for Lowe (77 minutes)

Bury could have increased their two goal advantage when a Schumacher free kick was met by an the onrushing Sodje but the linesman's flag was up for offside before he made contact with the ball. The Shakers play was, at times, a delight to watch as their fluid one touch passing allowed their wide man to attack at every opportunity and the defence restricted City to long range efforts on Fon Williams goal.

With two minutes remaining a beautiful counter attack from a rare Exeter foray forward found Schumacher on the right hand side of the box and after cutting inside Duffy he fired a shot which Krysiak was grateful to see flash just wide.

Kyle Bennett was introduced to the game as we went into the additional three minutes of injury time replacing Man of the Match Michael Jones.

Bury Sub: Bennett on for Jones (90)

The final whistle went shortly after and so it was the Shakers who progressed into the hat for the second round draw and Exeter made the long trip back down the M5 still dreaming of a trip to the Wembley Arch.

Final Score Bury FC 2 - 0 Exeter City

Bury FC: Owain Fon Williams, Phil Picken, Joe Skarz, Tom Lees, Efe Sodje, Michael Jones, Steven Schumacher ©, Damien Mozika, Andy Haworth, Ryan Lowe, Nicky Ajose

Subs: Richie Branagan, Ben Futcher, Peter Sweeney, David Worrall, Lenell John-Lewis, Kyle Bennett, Max Harrop

Exeter City: Artur Krysiak, Steve Tully, Richard Duffy, James Dunn, Troy Archibald-Henville, David Noble ©, Danny Nardiello, Scott Golbourne, Billy Jones, Richard Logan, Liam Sercombe

Subs: Ryan Harley, Jamie Cureton, Bertie Cozic, Rob Edwards, Marcus Stewart, Jake Thomson, Paul Jones

Attendance 2,359 (266 visitors)

    Data provided by Press Association

    Recent Match Reports