Match Report


Tue 15 Feb 11

Bury FC v Chesterfield","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;">Chesterfield FC - Maurice Dickson reporting from Gigg Lane.

The Shakers entertained top of the table Chesterfield","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;">Chesterfield looking to show some bouncebackability after Saturday's disappointing 2 - 1 reverse at Stockport County and claw back three points on the divisional leaders in this re-arranged fixture which was postponed from December 4th.

Bury boss Alan Knill kept faith with his starting eleven from the game at Edgeley Park with Tom Lees recovering sufficiently to take his place in the heart of the defence alongside Efe Sodje.

Likewise, Spireites boss, John Sheridan was hoping that his side could get back to winning ways after their 1 - 0 defeat away at Burton Albion last Friday evening but he was missing ex-Shaker Dwayne Mattis and veteran striker Jack Lester through injury.

Bury got the game underway attacking the Manchester Road End but both side spent the opening quarter of an hour trying to impose their game on their opponents but with no notable attempts on goal bar a long range strike from Shakers skipper Steven Schumacher which went well over Tommy Lee's bar in the eighth minute.

As the Shakers started to get to grips with the game, Ryan Lowe had the first real attempt on goal on 16 minutes when, following good work down the left by Joe Skarz, he cut inside two Chesterfield","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;">Chesterfield defenders and unleashed a fierce shot from the edge of the penalty area but the effort flashed just wide of goal.

GOAL: Bury FC 0 - 1 Chesterfield","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;">Chesterfield (Craig Davies 18)

Chesterfield","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;">Chesterfield took the lead, totally against the run of play, on eighteen minutes, following a horrendous error from Efe Sodje. The Shakers veteran centre back gifted the ball to Spireites striker Craig Davies who buried a shot through the legs of the advancing Cameron Belford from fifteen yards.

The game then settled into a midfield battle as both sides probed one another looking to create that elusive opening but It was the visitors who came closest to extending their lead on 30 minutes when tricky winger Kieran Djalili, on loan to the Derbyshire side from Crystal Palace, worked his way down the right hand side and into the box. He drilled a ball across the six yard line which evaded everyone which seemed to catch defender Dean Holden by surprise and the ball got tangled between his legs allowing Efe Sodje to clear the danger.

On 37 minutes, with the rain now pelting down, the Spireites almost doubled their lead when danger man Craig Davies let fly from fully 25 yards. The ball flew straight to Cameron Belford but, although he got both hands to it, it seemed to squirm from his grasp but fortunately for the young Bury stopper the ball skidded across the face of goal.

A minute later and the majority of the Gigg Lane crowd were baying for a penalty when Ryan Lowe seemed to be sandwiched between Dean Holden and Simon Ford in the box but the referee, Mr Foster, waived away the claims. The ball was cleared and seconds later it found it's way to Shakers striker Andy Bishop who flashed a shot in on goal but the ball dipped a fraction too late and landed on the roof of the net.

The Shakers were now on top but the Chesterfield","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;">Chesterfield defence were proving resolute and the continued to hold out until the half time whistle.

Half Time Bury FC 0 - 1 Chesterfield","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;">Chesterfield FC

Goal: Bury FC 1 - 1 Chesterfield","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;">Chesterfield FC (Ryan Lowe 46)

The Shakers got the second half off to the perfect start when, within 30 seconds of the restart, Schumacher's delightful through ball found Ryan Lowe on the edge of the box. He turned Holden beautifully and fired home a crisp shot into the net for his 19th League goal of the season to put himself top of the League Two scoring charts ahead of Rotherham's Adam Le Fondre.

Mr Foster produced the games first yellow card to Chesterfield","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;">Chesterfield's Dean Smalley for a rather childish show of petulance when he kicked the ball away following the award of a free kick for a foul on Jones.

The Shakers almost got a second, as they began to dominate the game, when Sodje's header, from a Mike Jones corner, was inches over the bar.

Sub: Bury boss Alan Knill made the first change of the night when Lenell John-Lewis replaced a tiring Andy Bishop on 56 minutes.

On 62 minutes Bury should have taken the lead when Ryan Lowe chased a ball down into the corner forcing Holden to put the ball out for a throw. The Shakers hitman took a quick throw in which was helped on by John-Lewis to Jones midway into the penalty box but the young Scouser hurried his shot under pressure from Ford and it went a yard wide of Lee's right hand post.

John Sheridan's side weren't out of the game yet and Craig Davies showed why he is one of the best strikers in League Two as he left Picken for dead and fired a shot across Cameron Belford's goal but, luckily for the Shakers, there was too much on the ball and it went wide.

Sub:Chesterfield","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;">Chesterfield made a double change on 64 minutes with Ian Breckin replacing Javan Vidal and Jordan Bowery replacing Danny Whittaker.

Sub: Alan Knill made Bury's second change of the evening on 66 minutes when David Worrall replaced Andy Haworth

On 74 minutes Bury came close again when, following great work by Skarz and Damien Mozika, Michael Jones cut in from the left hand side and fired in a great effort that skidded off the sodden pitch and forced Lee to grab the ball at the second attempt ahead of the inrushing John-Lewis.

Four minutes later a swift counter attack saw Bury break the length of the field with Mozika playing a defence splitting ball through to Worrall. The young winger took the ball on a couple of strides and crossed towards goal but John-Lewis couldn't turn the ball home under pressure from Robertson.

All the attacking seemed to be coming from Bury now and Mike Jones, again, tested Lee with a ferocious strike from the edge of the box on 80 minutes but the Spireites stopper was equal to the effort and gathered, again, at the second attempt.

Red Card: On 84 minutes Mr Foster had to reach for a second yellow, and therefore a red card, for Chesterfield","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;">Chesterfield's Dean Smalley. Bury's Man of the Match, Mike Jones had turned him inside out and got the by line leaving the youngster, on loan from Oldham, in his wake. The only way he could stop him was by hacking him down a foot short of the penalty box and the referee had no choice but to send him off. Sadly, for the Shakers, they couldn't capitalise from the free kick and John-Lewis' shot was charged down and cleared.

On 89 John-Lewis could have won it for the Shakers when after some brilliant play by the impressive Worrall down the right hand side, the big man headed straight at Lee from eight yards when if he'd got less on the ball he'd had scored.

Deep into the added four minutes of time Ryan Lowe also spurned a chance to seal the three points when he got on the end of another Worrall cross but managed to steer the ball away from goal when he was six yards out.

Sub: Chesterfield","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;">Chesterfield made a final change on 90+3 when their best player, Kieran Djalili, suffered a hamstring injury and limped off to be replaced by Derek Niven.

That was the last action of a thoroughly entertaining game where, in all honesty, Bury deserved the three points and despite their best efforts they couldn't snatch the second goal and so had to settle for s share of the spoils against a very good Chesterfield","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;">Chesterfield side who have now gone five games without a win.

Bury FC: Cameron Belford, Phil Picken, Joe Skarz, Tom Lees, Efe Sodje, Damien Mozika, Michael Jones, Steven Schumacher ©, Ryan Lowe, Andy Bishop (John-Lewis 56), Andy Haworth (Worrall 66)

Subs: Richie Branagan, Ben Futcher, Peter Sweeney, David Worrall, Kyle Bennett, Lenell John-Lewis Max Harrop

Chesterfield","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;">Chesterfield FC: Tommy Lee, Javan Vidal (Breckin 64), Dean Holden, Simon Ford, Gregor Robertson, Danny Whittaker (Bowery 64), Mark Allott ©, Ian Morris, Dean Smalley, Craig Davies, Kieran Djilali

Subs: Shane Redmond, Jordan Bowery, Scott Boden, Ian Breckin, Derek Niven, Scott Griffiths, Jamie Lowery

Referee: Mr David Foster

Assistants: Mr P E Curry and Mr M Duncan

Fourth Official: Mr C N Harwood

Attendance: 2,517 (318 Chesterfield","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;">Chesterfield)

    Data provided by Press Association

    Recent Match Reports