Match Report


Sat 06 Aug 11

by Hannah Ingram at the Galpharm Stadium

Bury worked hard to claim their first point in League One in a match which looked tough on paper, but where the Shakers more than held their own. Huddersfield were on the verge of playing Championship football last season, but Bury made them look average at times.

A well-taken goal from Gary Roberts had the home fans in raptures, but Bury answered back with the first goal from last season's top-scorer Ryan Lowe to send the away fans home with smiles on their faces. Bury defended well in the closing stages to hold back a late Terriers' onslaught to keep it honours even by full time.

Bury didn't look like former League Two players in the first half, with Mark Cullen coming close to breaking the deadlock on 8 minutes with a shot from the left of the box after a pass from David Worrall in the middle. His strong shot was closed down by Calum Woods at the near post.

Cullen was back two minutes later to see a penalty appeal turned down after he looked to be upended in the box by Peter Clarke.

It became the story of the first half, with the home side appearing the get the rub of the green when it came to the referee's decision making.

Bury substitution on 23 minutes - Mark Cullen replaced by Andy Bishop

The Terriers' first threatened the Bury goal on 26 minutes with a free kick from Gary Roberts, but he hit the wall, sending the ball out for a corner.

Bury made Huddersfield look like spectators on 28 minutes with a cross field pass from Peter Sweeney on the right to David Worrall. He controlled the ball with the outside of his boot, took the ball into the box and squared to Andy Bishop, but his shot lacked the power to trouble Ian Bennett in the Town net.

Huddersfield substitution on 28 minutes - Anton Robinson replaced by Tommy Miller

Danny Ward wasted a good chance on 32 minutes, sending a poor shot round past the left post from the edge of the box.

The home side had the last bite of the cherry in the first half with curling cross from Roberts on the left on 45 minutes. He set up Danny Ward as the ball swung in front of goal, but it was just that bit too far in front of the former Bolton winger.

Half Time - Huddersfield Town 0 Bury 0

Huddersfield substitution on 51 minutes - Donal McDermott replaced by Lee Novak

GOAL! Huddersfield claimed the first goal on 65 minutes, thanks to a neat cross from the right which met Gary Roberts' feet in front of goal, and he made no mistake from close range.

Ward tried his luck from the edge of the box on 68 minutes with a powerful drive, but Cameron Belford saved low to keep the deficit at one.

Bury's best chance arrived on 74 minutes as Worrall saw his shot from the right of the box pushed off the line after he sauntered past Bennett following a pass from Jones on the left.

GOAL! Bury brought things level in front of their fans on 77 minutes with a touch of genius from Ryan Lowe. A throw in from the right found Lowe's feet in the box, and he turned on a sixpence to bury the ball past Bennett.

Antony Kay headed just wide on 78 minutes with towering header after he rose above the Bury defence following a corner from the right.

Bury were determined in defence, and a reaction save from Belford on 88 minutes at the far post kept things even after an almost own goal from Mark Hughes.

Double Bury substitution on 90(+2) minutes - Ryan Lowe replaced by Damien Mozika, Michael Jones replaced by Andy Haworth 

The Shakers threw bodies at the ball in the in the dying stages, which included three minutes of added time, to survive a late onslaught from the home side. Judging by the home fans' reaction at full time, they weren't satisfied with a point.

Full Time - Huddersfield Town 1 Bury 1
Attendance - 13,873 (1336 visitors)
    Data provided by Press Association

    Recent Match Reports