Match Report


Sun 02 Oct 11

Gordon Sorfleet at Huish Park

The Shakers got their season back on track with a very convincing win at Huish Park on a blistering hot October afternoon with all three goals coming from first time scorer's for the club.

Bury began the game brightly and right from the off, David Amoo set about terrorising the home defence, a third minute run with pace and trickery to boot caught the back line flapping but his cross into the box was just over hit with Andy Bishop stretching to reach the high ball.

Moments later, a clever turn from Giles Coke halfway inside the Yeovil half saw him stretching to control the ball.Coke was also body checked as he touched the ball but the referee played the advantage with Peter Sweeney collecting the ball and firing a dipping shot just over the cross bar from outside the area.

Inside eight minutes Amoo and Phil Picken linked up superbly down the left hand side before Amoo crossed a peach of a ball into the box, unfortunately nobody was on hand to get on the end of the cross and the chance went begging.More excellent passing football followed moments later with Amoo heavily involved again, this time he poked the ball into the box but was unable to collect the loose ball as Nathan Jones slammed the ball out of play

It took the home side 13 minutes before they produced anything of note, and the effort was a warning for the Shakers'.A Luke Ayling cross into the box, whipped in with pace, brought a good header on target from Kieran Agard.His point blank header though was well stopped by Trevor Carson before Efe Sodje drove the ball back down the field.

The warning turned into a major problem just three minutes later when Yeovil took the lead.A free kick on the left hand side from Nathan Jones was dinked into the box, Carson managed to punch clear but only as far as Agard, and he somehow dinked the ball over everyone to loop it into the goal for an undeserved lead.

Goal: Yeovil Town" target="_blank">Yeovil Town 1 Bury 0 (Agard 16)

Yeovil won another free kick on 20 minutes, this time Jones found the head of Paul Huntinton who powered a strong header at goal, but Carson held the ball well and quickly released the ball up the field.Yeovil quickly moved the ball back down the field and another deep cross into the box found Agard, who was always stretching to reach it, smacked the ball high over the bar.

A Billy Gibson free kick on the half hour from the edge of the box saw Max Ehmer with a free header inside the area, but if there was ever a case of fluffing his lines, this was it.With the Bury defence caught napping, Ehmer spilled the ball allowing Carson to collect.

From Carson's clearance, Bury moved the ball quickly and crisply forward.Peter Sweeney showed some good close control and clever skill on the edge of the box, but his cross was pushed out for a Bury corner.Sweeney's delivery found the head of Efe Sodje who powered his effort on target but straight at keeper Jed Steer.

Joe Skarz was involved with a clash of heads moments later that saw him leave the field of play for five minutes to have a cut on his eye brow stitched.His re-appearance on 40 minutes saw him bursting into the box to volley a cross at goal, but in truth, the corner flag was in more danger.

Bury got back into the game on 43 minutes when a bursting run from Giles Coke saw him lay a clever one two with Andy Bishop.Bishop's return ball was perfectly weighted and Coke drove the ball into the bottom corner from the edge of the six yard box with power and accuracy giving Jed Steer no chance.

Goal: Yeovil Town" target="_blank">Yeovil Town 1 Bury 1 (Coke 43)

The goal visibly lifted the Shakers and if anything, they raised their game with some sublime passing football.On the stroke of half time, an already confident Giles Coke carved out another chance though this time lifted his shot high over the bar from distance.

Half time: Yeovil Town" target="_blank">Yeovil Town 1 Bury 1

The second half began with neither side making changes and the temperature showing no signs of lowering, and with David Amoo going on a stunning run from inside his own half.Granted he had to stretch to push the ball around three players, but each were soundly beaten before he played a clever ball to Coke on the edge of the box.Coke though was quickly closed down and the ball cleared.

Another Giles Coke effort on 52 minutes saw his effort rising and veering off target.The resulting clearance from Steer found Agard challenging for the ball with Sodje. The result was a Bury free kick and a yellow card shown to the Yeovil player - the first card to be produced in the afternoon.

Two minutes later and another Bury free kick from Peter Sweeney found Ashley Eastham in the box, unmarked and in acres of space.Perhaps he didn't realise just how much time he had on the ball, but his quick header at goal rose high over the cross bar.

Yeovil will perhaps feel they should have re-taken the lead on 55 minutes when some good passing found Ed Upson with a shooting chance just outside the area, he drove his effort at goal and with Carson beaten, the shot crashed off the upright and flew straight to Sodje who quickly cleared the danger.

The miss was to prove costly for the home side as more good work from David Amoo down the flank saw him whip the ball into the box for Andy Bishop.With his back to goal and unable to turn due to two defenders, he clipped the ball to Michael Jones who fired his trademark shot at the top corner.Jed Steer read it well and dived to push the shot out for a corner.Sweeney's delivery into the box fell onto the forehead of David Amoo who looped the ball over a packed six yard box and into the top corner for the Shakers' to take the lead.

Goal: Yeovil Town" target="_blank">Yeovil Town 1 Bury 2 (Amoo 66)

Amoo showed more skill and tenacity on 70 minutes when he collected the ball on the edge of his own area, his first touch on the stretch saw one home player beaten, the same with the next as he advanced further up the field though the third challenge on the edge of the Yeovil box was more successful and Huntington smashed the ball cleared.

The Shakers' killed the game off with six minutes to go.A Yeovil corner was pushed away by Eastham, he powered his header wide to David Worrell who set off like the proverbial whippet.Worrall took the ball forward and with Peter Sweeney bursting hus lungs to keep up with him, Worrall eventually crossed into the box to find Sweeney who placed his shot across the keeper to score his first goal for the Shakers', and the first three point haul in a month

Goal and final score: Yeovil Town" target="_blank">Yeovil Town 1 Bury 3 (Sweeney 84)

The look of relief on the lads faces was there for the visiting 159 Bury fans to see.The passing football is back, the goals are back and more importantly - three points.

Gate: 3,127 (159)

    Data provided by Press Association

    Recent Match Reports