Match Report


Sat 26 Nov 11

Bury 1 Preston North End" target="_blank">Preston North End 0
by Hannah Ingram at Gigg Lane

One goal was all it took to give Bury's average home form a huge boost, seeing them climb to 10th in League One with a win over Preston, who are sliding in the opposite direction.

A breakaway goal for David Amoo after 15 minutes was enough for the Shakers to claim all three points against an imploding Preston North End" target="_blank">Preston North End side without a league win since late September.

Bury's last home win came in early October, so a change in fortune was needed and a hard-working performance made sure of that.

Jamie Proctor forced a diving save from Cameron Belford on 12 minutes with a curling effort from the left of the box after Neil Mellor opened up the Bury defence with a pass to Jonathan Forte. Forte was back moments later with a chance of his own which glanced past the side netting.

GOAL! Bury took the lead against the run of play on 15 minutes with a fantastic breakaway goal. Peter Sweeney cleared the ball from a Preston corner and fed straight into the path of David Amoo. The quick-footed Liverpool","height=600, width=800,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,status=1,toolbar=1,location=1");return false;">Liverpool loanee ran the length of the Bury half before taking the ball inside to shoot over the top of Thorsten Stuckmann.

Bury 1 Preston North End" target="_blank">Preston North End 0

Amoo was looking for his second and he was almost successful on 33 minutes - a neat pass from Steven Schumacher found Amoo in front of goal and he tried to back-heel the ball past Stuckmann but he just got his fingertips to it, keeping the deficit at one.

The visitors were inches from drawing level on 36 minutes when a cross from Proctor at the near post somehow made it past Belford and dribbled along the goal-line, screaming for a tap in that never came.

A neat pass through from Michael Jones in the middle on 39 minutes found the feet of Andy Bishop on the right of the box, but his low effort was blocked by the feet of Stuckmann.

A short corner taken by Sweeney on 45 minutes was passed between himself and Jones before Sweeney tried a curling effort from the edge of the box which forced a bizarre save from Stuckmann, giving Bury a corner.

Two minutes of added time were indicated by the fourth official, but they were soon over and Bury took their lead into the break. A strong start from the visitors only forced Bury into a breakaway which gave them the lead, and from then on, the Shakers were playing with confidence.

Half Time - Bury 1 Preston North End" target="_blank">Preston North End 0

Mellor forced a good save from Belford on 55 minutes after his looping effort looked destined for the back of the net. The Bury keeper palmed the ball over the bar and the resulting corner was cleared by the home side.

Bury substitution on 57 minutes - Peter Sweeney replaced by Lenell John-Lewis

Preston substitution on 60 minutes - Jonathan Forte replaced by Keammar Daley

Phil Picken tried his luck from distance on 64 minutes - the ball seemed to curl wide of the far post, but the referee gave the Shakers a corner. The ball swirled into the box, meeting the head of substitute Lenell John-Lewis at the far post, but his effort was cleared on the line by Barry Nicholson.

A curling cross from Amoo on the right after 70 minutes forced Stuckmann to palm the ball over his crossbar for a Bury corner. Taken by Steven Schumacher, the Preston keeper came out to claim the ball with confidence.

Preston substitution on 72 minutes - Ian Ashbee replaced by David Gray

Amoo looked strong enough to take his second goal of the afternoon on 78 minutes, beating his man as he walked the ball into the box, but saw his near-post effort blocked for a corner.

The visitors were searching for an equaliser and it almost arrived on 82 minutes courtesy of a cross from David Gray which met the head of McCombe at the far post, but his looping effort hit the top of the bar.

Bury substitution on 90 minutes - Andy Bishop replaced by David Worrall

Nicholson provided a late scare for Bury with a headed effort three minutes into added time, but Belford committed himself to the ball and came out to claim it.

Bury's search for a solid home performance soon arrived as the referee blew for full time. A hard-working Bury side passed Preston off the park and fully deserved all three points, especially as the away side had a powerful start to the game.

Full Time - Bury 1 Preston North End" target="_blank">Preston North End 0

Attendance - 4,957 (1,850)

    Data provided by Press Association

    Recent Match Reports