Gigg Lane, the home of Bury FC
Image by :
A guide to Gigg Lane for the first time visitor
To help you make your first visit to Gigg Lane run smoothly, we have included a few details which might make your visit to Bury FC more welcoming…
1. Where are we: Bury Football Club can be found on Gigg Lane, Bury – postcode BL9 9HR. The Gigg Lane site has been the clubs ground from the clubs formation back in April 1885. The ground is unique with regards to entrance as it is the only ground in the country with only one access road to the club – Gigg Lane. As shown on the map below:-
2. Directions to the ground: From the M66 (Junction 3): (2.5 Miles to the ground) leave the Motorway at Junction 3 (preferred route as this avoids the town centre). From the bottom of the slip road turn onto Pilsworth Road. This road curls around a large ASDA Supermarket, continue straight on around the mini roundabout (McDonalds on the corner) and continue straight ahead. Pilsworth Road merges with Croft Lane soon after with no visible indication. After approx. 1.1 miles, the road comes to a ‘T’ junction with Hollins Lane and Hollins Brow. Carry on in the same direction and onto ‘Hollins Brow’, this road then curls round to the right before meeting Manchester Road and traffic lights at the bottom of the hill. Turn right onto Manchester Road and continue towards the ground for approx. 1.2 miles. Gigg Lane is on the right hand side (Redvales Playing Fields on the left). The ground is well signposted. Once you turn onto Gigg Lane, the Stadium can be found approx. 200 yards up the road on the right hand side.
From the M60 (Junction 17 – signposted A56 Whitefield & Prestwich)): (3.4 miles to the ground) Leave the motorway at junction 17 and follow the signs for Bury (A56 Bury New Road). Continue in this direction for approx. 3.1 miles. This road will eventually merge with Manchester Road with no obvious signs. Continue along Manchester Road and Gigg Lane is on the right hand side (Redvales Playing Fields on the left). The ground is well signposted. Once you turn onto Gigg Lane, the Stadium can be found approx. 200 yards up the road on the right hand side.
There are no Train Stations in Bury. The nearest main line station is Manchester Piccadilly or Manchester Victoria. The Metrolink Tram system operates from both and is a direct service to Bury. Once you exit the Metrolink Station in Bury, the ground is a good 15 minute walk. We strongly advise all travelling supporters using the Metro Link to check on their website for any engineering works - http://www.metrolink.co.uk/
The 135 Bus Service also departs from the same station and drops on Manchester Road at the bottom of Gigg Lane (Every 15 minutes service). Taxis are also on hand outside the Interchange Tram/Bus Station. To walk to Gigg Lane. Come out of the Tram exit, up the stairs and turn right. Cross the Dual Carriage Way (Angouleme Way) and head down Market Street (Bury College is on both sides of the road). At the bottom of the road, continue over the mini roundabout and continue down Market Street until you come to Bury Cemetery Gates – this is Gigg Lane, the Stadium can be found by turning right and walking for approx. 500 yards
3. Parking: Parking is extremely limited at Gigg Lane. Our best advice is to arrive early and use the local street parking. Please be aware though that some areas around the ground are permit parking only. The club do have a small car park located at Fishpool Liberal Club on Woodley Street for approx 40 cars. The main club car park is used for club staff, players and hospitality guests
Tickets can be bought online by visiting the following website - http://tickets.shop-buryfc.co.uk
– please note, there is no facility to print your ticket. Your ticket can be posted to you or left for collection on the day of the game.
Tickets can also be bought in advance over the phone by calling 0871 221 1885 or by visiting the club anytime during the working week (9am to 4:30pm). Tickets are available from the ticket office window, immediately to the right of the main reception door.
Tickets left for collection can be collected in the ticket office window on Gigg Lane, immediately to the right of the club shop.
Ticket prices for the 2016/17 season can be found here
5. Programmes The matchday programme, 72 pages, can be bought from the entrance to the club on Gigg Lane, either of the ticket office windows, the club shop or at main reception – cost is £3.00
6. Food and Drink: The Bury FC Social Club will be open on match days for home and away supporters. Non-members are charged £1.00 for entry. Two fully stocked bars are available with hot food also available. A ‘Burger Van’ is also available in the car park on Matchdays offering hot food and drinks. Catering is also available from all four stands during the game offering the usual matchday fayre.
7. Club Shop:
The club shop on Gigg Lane is open throughout the week (9am to 5pm) and on Matchdays. The club shop also operates an online service at (Click here
8. Seating: Gigg Lane is a 11,640 all seater stadium. There are no standing areas within the ground.
The main stand is the first stand you see on entering the ground and is used for home supporters only. This stand also houses the Family Stand
The Cemetery End (Left hand side of the main stand). Used for away supporters
The Ratio Law Stand (Right hand side of the main stand). Used for home supporters only
The Les Hart Stand (Opposite the Main Stand) is accessible through turnstile numbers? to? and is used for home supporters only.
Please note that on occasions, the club will switch the away stand to another stand depending on expected numbers of travelling supporters. Notification will be made on our website (www.buryfc.co.uk
) and via local media. The opposition will also have details on their own website.
9. Club Mascot: The Shakers ‘Club Mascot’ is the loveable ‘Robbie the Bobby’. Named and created after one of the town’s famous residents Sir Robert Peel, former Prime Minister and founder of the British Police Force. Robbie the Bobby was chosen from a competition amongst supporters many years ago. Robbie will be around before the game, make sure you get a photo with him and send it to us for use in our matchday programme.