Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
24 February 2018 Venue The Energy Check Stadium at Gigg Lane Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League One

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

Match preview: Bury vs Gillingham

23 February 2018

Bury will host Gillingham on Saturday looking to start collecting points again following the defeat to Blackburn Rovers on Monday evening.

Goals from Danny Graham and the on-loan Adam Armstrong broke the Shakers’ resistance, a result that brought to an end a 5-game undefeated run under boss Ryan Lowe, after his side picked up 9 points from the available 15 before the game that was shown live on Sky Sports.

Neil Danns’ low drive gave Bury the lead at the Priestfield Stadium in November – a game that Ryan Lowe oversaw during his spell as Caretaker Manager.  The Gills grabbed a late equaliser through a lapse in concentration, something the gaffer is keen to ensure doesn’t happen too often: “We don’t want anything like that creeping in.  Everyone makes mistakes, we know that, but we try and not give too many mistakes away.  Ultimately, if we’re on it, we’re a match for anybody, as we’ve proved over the past 6-7 weeks.  What we’re trying to achieve now is staying in this division.  Mistakes will come but it’s how you react from them and our lads have reacted quite well from Monday night.  They were on the floor a little bit, we’ve picked them up, the place is bubbly and bouncing again and that’s us – that’s the new Bury going forward.  That’s what we’re about and ultimately we’ve got to get our fight and belief and passion back for Saturday afternoon and I’m sure we’ll have that”.

Gillingham will be without Callum Reilly for the game after permission for him to play against his parent Club was refused.  The Gills have slipped a bit in February after a very good January, but Lowe is only concerned with this game rather than the form guide: “Ultimately it’s 11 v 11 at the end of the day.  Steve’s (Lovell) done a great job there.  He was full of praise for us when we went there and they scored late on.  We’re in for an interesting game – it’s a game we feel we can win, and obviously a game Steve will probably feel he can win and we’ve got to go out there and look to get 3 points, simple as”.

Gillingham’s View

Click here to view the Gillingham website

Last Time Out

Match Coverage

Domestic iFollow subscribers can listen to live commentary of Saturday’s game by signing into their account and visiting the match centre.
Overseas subscribers can watch the match live by following the same instructions. We will also have updates over on our Twitter account: @buryfcofficial. There will be post-match reaction on the website, iFollow and our official YouTube channel, with highlights to follow.


Saturday’s referee is Lincolnshire-based Darren Drysdale. This will be Darren’s 36th game in charge this season. In his previous 35 games, he has issued 97 yellow cards and 5 red ones.  His last game in charge was on Saturday 17th February as Doncaster Rovers were 3-0 victors over Fleetwood Town at the Keepmoat Stadium.

We’ve Met Before

Monday’s game will be the 56th meeting between the sides in all competitions. The Shakers have 21 wins, Gillingham have 23, with 11 draws.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Bury 2 - Gillingham 1

24 February 2018

The Shakers managed to see out a 2-1 win against Gillingham in a thoroughly entertaining game at the Energy Check Stadium at Gigg Lane.

Neil Danns and Harry Bunn’s first-half goals sent the hosts into a 2-0 lead at the break, much to the delight of the home supporters.

Gillingham managed to pull one goal back on the 69th minute through Connor Ogilvie, but it was not enough to level the scores.

Ryan Lowe made two changes to his starting line-up following Monday’s 2-0 defeat at Blackburn Rovers: Rohan Ince and Jay O’Shea replaced Josh Laurent and the injured Danny Mayor in midfield.

After a slow and steady start to the game for both sides, Zeli Ismail came to life with a darting run down the right wing before cutting the ball onto his left foot and firing his shot wide of the left-hand post.

Two minutes later, Danns followed up on Ismail’s effort with one of his own after shifting the ball onto his left foot from 20 yards-out and smashing his shot past Gillingham goalkeeper Tomas Holy to open the scoring.

Bunn went on a surging run after 22 minutes as he continued to threaten the visiting defence, his left-footed shot across goal dragged wide of the target, while George Miller was only inches away from directing the ball into an unguarded goal.

On 25 minutes, the Shakers’ determination proved fruitful again as they extended their lead with a perfected pull-back from Ismail down the right byline, and Bunn was excellently positioned to double the scoreline.

However, Miller was unwilling to accept the 2-0 scoreline as he heaped the pressure on the away side’s goal with a run of his own, weaving between the defenders, before almost squeezing his shot into the left corner of the goal but for the quick reactions of Holy.

Five minutes into the second half, Miller capitalised on a shaky Gillingham defence as he broke free to fire toward goal, but his shot was saved by Holy, and the rebound from Bunn was expertly cleared off the line by Max Ehmer with a vital header off the line.

The visitors counter-attacked down the opposite end moments later as they attacked in numbers, the ball fell to Scott Wagstaff 12 yards out and his shot was wayward as it flew high over the crossbar.

On 69 minutes, Gillingham found themselves a lifeline as substitute Wagstaff delivered a deep cross to the back post where Ogilvie was waiting to head the ball past Connor Ripley and into the back of the net.

With just one goal to separate the two sides, the last 20 minutes was undoubtedly a nervous end to the match.

Mark Byrne went for glory from long range, but his shot was dragged wide of the right-hand post and did little to trouble Ripley in the Bury goal.

In additional time, the visitors piled on the pressure to find the equaliser, including Holy for a last-minute corner, he managed to find himself on the end of the corner, he turned and fired goalward, but his shot was quickly saved by Ripley in the last action of the match.

Attendance: 3,004 (184 travelling supporters)

Bury: Ripley, Leigh, Cameron, Clarke, Edwards, Ince, Danns, Bunn (Thompson 90), O’Shea (Tutte 84), Ismail, Miller (Hanson 88)

Unused subs: Murphy, Maguire, Dawson, Dai


Gillingham: Holy, Ogilvie, Nugent, Zakuani (Wagstaff 46), Ehmer, O’Neill, Hessenthaler, Martin, Byrne, Parker, Eaves (Wilkinson 42)

Unused subs: Hadler, Garmston, List, Nasseri, Moussa

Advertisement block

Advertisement block