Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 17:30 (UK)

05 May 2018 Venue The Cherry Red Records Stadium Attendance

Kick off 17:30 (UK)

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League One

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

Match preview: AFC Wimbledon vs Bury

4 May 2018

The final game of the 2017/18 season this weekend will see the Shakers make the trip to AFC Wimbledon for a 17:30 kick-off.

The end of what can only be described as a disastrous season will be a welcome sight for everyone connected with the Club.

The main positive from the season will be the continued development of the thriving Academy.  Callum Styles, Ryan Cooney, Saul Shotton, Tsun Dai and Joe Adams have all been named in the squad over recent weeks.  Throw in Academy graduate George Miller, who has contributed 7 goals since returning to the Club on loan in January, and Callum Hulme, who was named on the bench against Portsmouth, and it’s clear to see that the future is very bright.

Bury boss Ryan Lowe will also be encouraged by recent performances, after his side have picked up away draws at Doncaster Rovers and Shrewsbury Town, followed by a 1-0 victory over play-off hopefuls Portsmouth in the final home game of the season.  He wants his side to continue their recent form and has his sights set on another win “It’s the last game of the season, it would be nice if, in my tenure, we could accumulate 25 points in the games I’ve took.  It’s a target we’re setting ourselves, it’s another three points that we want.  Wimbledon have just guaranteed their safety so the pressure will be a little bit off them.  The pressure’s off us also and we want to go there with the right attitude, the right frame of mind and play the football we’ve been playing of late and hopefully create some good chances”.

Neil Danns, who has led by example since being given the armband by Lowe, says the players are keen to put in a final positive performance “All the lads know we’re not going to play football now for a good number of months, so it’s something that we’ll go and enjoy and savour and hopefully we can go and get the three points and finish what we all know has been a disappointing season unbeaten in four”.

He was also full of praise for the fans who have backed the side all season “The fans have been amazing.  Given the circumstances, we definitely owe our thanks to the fans.  At the game on Saturday, even though they knew our fate they were still there supporting and cheering and I’m just glad we got to give them a win on the last home game of the season”.


AFC Wimbledon’s View

Click here to view the AFC Wimbledon website

Last Time Out

Match Coverage

Domestic iFollow subscribers can listen to live commentary of Saturday’s game by signing into their account and visiting the match centre.

Overseas subscribers can watch the match live by following the same instructions. We will also have updates over on our Twitter account: @buryfcofficial. There will be post-match reaction on the website, iFollow and our official YouTube channel, with highlights to follow.


Saturday’s referee is Darren Drysdale.  This will be Darren’s 45th game in charge this season. In his previous 44 games, he has issued 137 yellow cards and 6 red ones.  His last game in charge was at The Crown Oil Arena on 24th April, as hosts Rochdale and visitors Plymouth Argyle plated out a 1-1 draw.  3 yellow cards were shown in that match.

We’ve Met Before

Saturday’s game will be the 10th meeting between the sides in all competitions. Of the previous 9, Bury have 3 wins to Wimbledon’s 4, with 2 draws.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

AFC Wimbledon 2 - 2 Bury

5 May 2018

Bury made the final trip of the season to AFC Wimbledon looking to finish the campaign unbeaten in four, and that they did, in a typical game of two halves, with the Shakers clawing their way back into the game after going two goals down in the first-half.

Neal Ardley's team had been the better side in the first-half and looked good value for their lead. Goals from Dean Parrett and Kwesi Appiah gave them the advantage going into the break, but in the second-half, a galvanised Bury refused to give up and fought their way back into the game with two superb goals from Neil Danns and George Miller.

Ryan Lowe made just one change to the side that faced Portsmouth at home last Saturday, with Tsun Dai coming in in place of Harry Bunn.

The Wombles almost had an early opener in the first minute, when Egil Kaja was brought down just outside of the box by Adam Thompson and was awarded a free-kick. Callum Kennedy fizzed the ball towards goal, but it was straight at Joe Murphy who held it comfortably.

Wimbledon continued to press and test the Shakers' defence as Lyle Taylor found himself with options at either side of him, but he took the ball forward and chose to shoot, but Murphy was quick to get behind it to push it away.

In the 12th minute, the home side's persisting pressure paid off. A long throw from the right went past Tom Soares to Dean Parrett on the left, he struck it sweetly on the volley and watched it cruise past Murphy.

Wimbledon went in search of a second as they set off on a counter, a long ball over the top found Kwesi Appiah and he did well to work the space for a shot, but it was just inches wide of Murphy's right post.

Bury's first real chance of the half came in the 23rd minute when a good interchange of passes between Zeli Ismail, Neil Danns, and Ryan Cooney, saw the young right-back send across a good ball into the box towards Jay O'Shea at the near post. He managed to get his head to it and directed it toward the far post, but he couldn't get it on target.

Minutes later, the Shakers broke quickly down the left, and a dangerous ball into the box almost found George Miller at the back post, but he couldn't divert the ball into the net.

On the half-hour mark, there was concern for Lyle Taylor who had gone down holding his ankle. After assessment from the Wimbledon physio, the stretcher was on, and he was carried off the pitch to a chorus of applause from both sets of fans.

Four minutes after the incident, the Wombles doubled their lead. Kwesi Appiah was on the right side of the box and found the space to drill a low shot past Murphy.

With just four minutes left on the clock before the half-time whistle, a fantastic long ball from Murphy found O'Shea just outside the Wimbledon area. He controlled it brilliantly and slipped Miller in, whose shot from a tight angle was parried away by George Long, O'Shea found himself on the end of it and tried his luck with a follow-up shot, but it was well blocked.

Half-Time: AFC Wimbledon 2 – 0 Bury 

The start of the second-half brought Ryan Lowe's first substitution as Tsun Dai was replaced by Andrew Tutte.

It was an encouraging start to the second-half from the Shakers. A long ball upfield fell at the feet of Miller who was lurking inside the box, he struck the ball well, but his shot was blocked.

It was all systems go for Bury at the start of the second-half, with chances coming in quick succession. A superb ball into the Wimbledon box was headed out to O'Shea, who hit it on the volley, but it was agonisingly over.

Bury were in search of a goal as Ismail fought hard to gather a ball from the Wimbledon midfielders and won the duel. He fancied his chances and hit a fierce shot that Long somehow managed to parry out for a corner.

The 56th minute brought a break in play with Ryan Cooney going down due to an aerial challenge with Kennedy that resulted in a clash of heads. As Cooney was receiving treatment for a head injury, the bench signaled Dougie Nyaupembe over to replace the young right-back who was stretchered off with what was said to be a fractured cheekbone.

Bury continued to go in search of a deserved goal. A high ball was played into the Wimbledon box, but Long and his defence couldn't claim it, the ball fell to Neil Danns who was unmarked to the left of the box, he struck a tantalising, looping shot which curled its way into the top corner of the goal!

Wimbledon's first real chance of the half came in the 75th minute, as the ball fell to substitute Joe Pigott just inside the Bury box, he struck it on the half-volley, but the crossbar denied his effort.

As the game was drawing to a close, the Shakers were still on the front foot despite the goal deficit, and with just five minutes of regular time remaining, George Miller stepped up to earn the Shakers a hard-fought point and put him level with Jermaine Beckford as the season's top goalscorer. Long had denied Ismail with a flying save, and a quick corner ensued, it came out to O'Shea on the left who floated the ball into the area onto the head of the young striker, who ensured the Shakers ended the season showing some fight and pride, that Ryan Lowe had asked for.

Full-Time: AFC Wimbledon 2 - 2 Bury 


Attendance: 4770 (Bury 225)

AFC Wimbledon: George Long (GK), Barry Fuller ( C ), Callum Kennedy, Paul Robinson, Darius Charles, Dean Parrett, Tom Soares, Jimmy Abdou, Egli Kaja (73' Lloyd Sam), Lyle Taylor (30' Joe Pigott), Kwesi Appiah (59' Andy Barcham)

Subs: Joe McDonnell (GK), Jon Meades, Deji Oshilaja, Alfie Egan

Bury: Joe Murphy (GK), Greg Leigh, Adam Thompson, Saul Shotton, Ryan Cooney (65' Dougie Nyaupembe), Neil Danns ( C ) (90' Joe Adams), Callum Styles, Zeli Ismail, Tsun Dai (45' Andrew Tutte), Jay O’Shea, George Miller

Subs: Scott Moloney (GK), Eoghan O’Connell, Chris Sang, Callum Hulme.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block