Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Bury v Brentford

18 August 2012

Shakers held at Gigg Lane

Bury started their League One campaign with a frustrating 0-0 home draw, after a tough opening period against Brentford.

The visitors were first out of the traps which left the Shakers playing catch up in the first half, but once they found their feet, Bury were more than a match for the Bees.

Piling on the pressure in the second half saw Bury with numerous chances to break the deadlock, especially following the introduction of Mark Cullen, but it wasn’t enough to take more than one point from the game.

It was a busy opening ten minutes for the Bees, with Scott Baron shooting on 7 minutes following a cutting pass from Toumani Diagouraga which sliced the Bury defence in half, but Trevor Carson got down low to save.

Two minutes later, a needless push from Mark Hughes on Clayton Donaldson gave Brentford a free kick on the left of the box – Sam Saunders delivered the ball into the box, but Adam Lockwood was there to clear.

Bury’s first solid chance arrived on 14 minutes, when a low cross from Andrai Jones on the right pinged around a busy Brentford box before being cleared from just in front of the line for a Bury corner.

The visitors retaliated by piling on the pressure, as Donaldson crossed from the right on 22 minutes – it reached the head of Saunders but he was challenged by Lockwood to head harmlessly wide.

Goalkeeper Simon Moore had the away fans’ hearts in their mouths on 28 minutes as he appeared to almost roll the ball into his own net at the near post as he brought the ball under control, with Elford-Alliyu ready to pounce.

Adam Forshaw tried his luck from outside the box on 33 minutes, but his strong curling effort was met by a confident Carson, who took the ball into his chest. Bury reacted two minutes later with a calm clearance from Andy Bishop on the edge of the

Brentford box, which set David Worrall free to pace up the pitch, but after cutting inside from the right, he saw his journey stopped.

Joe Skarz found an unmarked Steven Schumacher waiting outside the box with five minutes of the half remaining  - his blasted shot looked to be going wide, but a deflection from inside a packed penalty area saw the ball sail just wide of the mark.

Half time – Bury 0 Brentford 0

The visitors were first out of the block again after the break, helped in part by a heavy tackle by Lockwood on Forshaw on the edge of the box on 54 minutes. Saunders stepped up to take the free kick, but blasted it into the Bury wall.

Bury yellow card on 54 minutes – Adam Lockwood

Bury substitution on 61 minutes – Mark Cullen on for Lateef Elford-Alliyu

Forshaw wasted a golden chance to take the lead for Brentford on 63 minutes – Shaleum Logan set him up just yards outside the box, but with the whole goal to aim at, he dragged the ball well wide.

Brentford substitution on 64 minutes – Farid El Alagui on for Sam Saunders

The introduction of Mark Cullen started to open up play for the Shakers, with two chances in as many minutes for the Hull City loanee.

His shot at the near post on 68 minutes was deflected away for a corner, before a cross from Worrall on the left found Cullen in front of goal, but a Brentford defender sneaked in front of him before he could pull the trigger.

Brentford substitution on 73 minutes – Kevin O’Connor on for Adam Forshaw

Bishop was played onside by a wayward Brentford pass on 80 minutes, but as he paced forward, he was joined by four Brentford defenders and he couldn’t find the space to tee up a shot.

Seconds later and Worrall was upended in the box, but the referee waved away the penalty appeals.

Bury substitution on 83 minutes – Lenell John-Lewis on for Andy Bishop

Brentford substitution on 87 minutes – Ryan Fredericks on for Scott Barron

Brentford’s defence became less confident as the game started to come to a close, when a poor clearance from Moore fell to the feet of Tony Craig, who almost put the ball in his own, empty net.

Four minutes of added time were equally as eventful for the both sides, with Donaldson hitting the side netting in the first minute, following some neat lead-up play from the away side.

The Shakers made the most of some shocking defending from Brentford in the closing stages – they were awarded a corner, but despite Mark Hughes getting up well to meet it, he headed Bury’s final chance of the match wide.

Full time – Bury 0 Brentford 0

Attendance – 2,659 (432 visitors)

Advertisement block