Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Shakers back from behind

21 December 2012

Steven Schumacher rescues a point for the Shaker with a late header


Bury 2 Shrewsbury Town 2

The Shakers rescued a point at the death after falling behind twice at home to Shrewsbury.

It was a nightmare start for Bury, who conceded within the first 40 seconds to an Aaron Wildig effort from close range, but they answered back nine minutes later, with a well-worked goal for Matt Doherty.

The visitors took the lead against the run of play on 68 minutes, as Jon Taylor eased past Joe Skarz with a forward run, polished off by squeezing the ball between Trevor Carson and the near post.

But Bury weren’t finished – Steven Schumacher scored his second goal in two games with a near post header to finish off a corner from Gregg Wylde as normal time came to a close.

GOAL! Shrewsbury had the ideal start to the match, taking the lead inside the first 40 seconds. Efe Sodje lost his footing, allowing Marvin Morgan to pace forward with the ball. His shot was blocked, but the loose ball fell to Aaron Wildig, who buried from close range.

Bury 0 Shrewsbury Town 1

GOAL! After a nightmare start, Bury struck back on 10 minutes with a well-worked goal for Matt Doherty. He passed the ball out wide to David Worrall before taking the ball back from him and poking the ball past Chris Weale.

Bury 1 Shrewsbury Town 1

The Shakers had the perfect chance to take the lead on 30 minutes – a snap shot from Gregg Wylde was blocked by Weale, but the Shrewsbury keeper spilled the ball in front of himself. David Healy looked to follow it up but lost out to Jermaine Grandison.

The away side looked close to going in on top at half time as one minute of added time ticked away, but Morgan’s shot from the right of the box was deflected wide.

Half time - Bury 1 Shrewsbury Town 1

Shrewsbury substitution at half time – Rob Purdie on for Paul Parry

Wylde picked up a loose ball on the left of the box on 50 minutes, but his shot was deflected onto the post by Darren Jones.

Bury substitution on 53 minutes – Troy Hewitt on for David Healy

Shrewsbury substitution on 60 minutes – Ryan Doble on for Luke Rodgers

A nice cross from Worrall on 63 minutes was crying out for a tap in from Tom Hopper at the near post, but he just couldn’t stretch far enough.

Bury yellow card on 65 minutes – Joe Skarz

GOAL! Shrewsbury took the lead for the second time in the match on 68 minutes – a quick run forward from Jon Taylor was polished off as he squeezed the ball in between Carson and his near post.

Bury 1 Shrewsbury Town 2

Bury substitution on 77 minutes – Tom Soares on for Tom Hopper

Shrewsbury substitution on 81 minutes – Joe Jacobson on for Jon Taylor

Bury substitution on 85 minutes – Lenell John-Lewis on for Mark Hughes

Zac Thompson tried his luck from distance on 87 minutes, only to watch his effort skim just wide of the post. Weale punched a Bury corner clear moments later, only to watch the ball ping around the box before his defenders cleared the danger.

GOAL! Bury brought the game level in the final minute of normal time, as captain Steven Schumacher headed home a corner from Wylde at the near post.

Bury 2 Shrewsbury Town 2

Four minutes of added time saw Bury press forward in numbers, but to no avail.

Full time - Bury 2 Shrewsbury Town 2

Attendance - 2,536 (379 visitors)


Advertisement block