Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Shakers have to do it all again

1 December 2012

All square at Gigg Lane, replay at Roots Hall on Tue 11 Dec

Bury 1 Southend United 1

The Shakers were held to a draw in their FA Cup second round tie against League Two’s Southend United, forcing a replay at Roots Hall.

Bury took the lead with a converted penalty for Matt Doherty after 32 minutes, before Southend struck back just before half time with a great individual effort for Gavin Tomlin.

Both sides continued to press forward looking for the winner in the second half and the visitors looked seconds away from claiming it, hitting the woodwork twice in added time.

The opening period took a while to get going, but when it did, Bury’s first chance of note arrived on 22 minutes – Troy Hewitt latched onto a poor backwards header from the visitors, before crossing into the middle, looking for Lenell John-Lewis. Trying to turn and shoot, John-Lewis brought down Mark Philips instead.

Freddy Eastwood tried something special from distance on 25 minutes, but Trevor Carson had it covered in the Bury net.

The home side looked inches away from taking the lead on 27 minutes after David Worrall dinked a looping ball towards Hewitt, who nodded towards John-Lewis, but he couldn’t connect at the far post to bury it past Paul Smith.

GOAL! Bury took the lead with a penalty on 32 minutes, following a foul by Ryan Cresswell on John-Lewis. Matt Doherty calmly stroked the ball into the bottom corner of the net as Smith dived the wrong way.

Bury 1 Southend United 0

Bury yellow card on 33 minutes – Lenell John-Lewis

GOAL! Southend brought the game level on 41 minutes with a great individual effort from Gavin Tomlin. After dispossessing Ethan Ebanks-Landell on the right of the box, Tomlin took the ball along the line before slotting home past Carson.

Bury 1 Southend United 1

Bury yellow card on 42 minutes – David Worrall

Two minutes of added time were played out, before the teams left the field honours even.

Half time – Bury 1 Southend United 1

A cross from Worrall on the right after 48 minutes found the head of John-Lewis, skimming the ball into the path of Hewitt who tried an overhead kick which Smith had to tip over the bar.

Southend yellow card on 56 minutes – Mark Phillips

Gregg Wylde tried something special from distance on 64 minutes, forcing Smith to get his palms behind the ball for Sean Clohessy to clear the danger.

Southend substitution on 66 minutes – Elliot Benyon on for Freddy Eastwood

Wylde left Chris Barker for dead on the right hand side before getting a cross into the box on 76 minutes, but the ball was cleared.

Bury were back moments later, with John-Lewis taking the ball into the box. He had the option to pass to Worrall who was in space on the left, but he chose to take on two Southend players instead, before getting caught in possession.

Southend substitution on 78 minutes – Barry Corr on for David Martin

Bury continued to push forward looking for a winner – Ethan Ebanks-Landell threaded through a neat ball to Hewitt, but his shot was met at the near post by Smith.

Bury substitution on 86 minutes – Seb Carole on for Troy Hewitt

Carole made an instant impact, forcing a save from Smith with an effort from the edge of the box.

Three minutes of added time were very eventful for Southend, who hit the woodwork twice in as many seconds. Tomlin stepped up to try and claim his second but hit the post, before Corr hit both the near post and bar with his follow up effort.

The Shakers now face a long trip to Roots Hall for the replay.

Full time – Bury 1 Southend United 1

Attendance - 2,391 (340 visitors)

Advertisement block