Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Southend United v Bury

11 December 2012

Shakers out on pens

With the referee stating the pitch as ‘crisp’ but perfectly playable, Kevin Blackwell named four changes to the starting line up with Tom Soares coming in to replace Gregg Wylde along with Mark Hughes also back into the starting eleven along with Steven Schumacher. 


An early run down the flank from David Worrall brought a quick clearance from former shaker Ryan Cresswell that saw the ball pushed out of play.  Moments later a collision between Barry Corr and Efe Sodje saw the Southend striker on the floor clutching his chest, though the referee saw the incident as a harmless collision.

The home side forced a corner inside three minutes that the Shakers defence cleared with some ease.  Bury moved the ball forward with Skarz and Thompson combining well but the Southend defence managed to drive the ball clear.

A foul by Mark Hughes on Tomlin just inside the Bury half brought a free kick to the home side.  Hurst’s delivery though was pushed clear by the Shakers, but only to Tomlin, his shot from the edge of the area was well saved by Carson at the near post.

With both sides attempting to sound each other out, Zac Thompson attempted to get the ball forward but his surging run towards the Southend box was stopped with a push on a Southend defender.

Bury’s first real chance came on 20 minutes when Bishop clipped the ball to a charging David Worrall.  His pace took him into the box and around Chris Barker, but he took one too many touches and the ball escaped his control, allowing the home side to smash the ball clear.

Efe Sodje almost put the ball into the Southend goal soon after with a good strong header from a Bury free kick.  Although he got his effort on target, the Shrimpers keeper was more than a match to the effort.

Bury took around 25 minutes to get their passing game going with Thompson and Schumacher passing the ball through the middle, but a wayward pass from Thompson towards Doherty saw the ball spin away on a ‘crispy’ surface and out of play.

Moments later a lunging challenge from Ebanks-Landell brought down Timlin half way inside the Bury half.  The free kick from Hurst found Cresswell but his effort on goal was well held by Trevor Carson.  A David Worrall cross on 27 minutes found the head of Andy Bishop, although the Shakers striker connected well, the officials raised the offside flag as Bishop rolled the ball home.

Matt Doherty was the next to try with a stinging shot on target on 32 minutes, his drive from the edge of the box brought a good stop from keeper Bentley.  The resulting corner was also well dealt with by the home side.  Doherty again tried his luck from a similar position minutes later, with pretty much the same result and keeper Bentley managing to hold onto the effort.

David Worrall continued to threaten the home defence, and cut inside Barker on 33 minutes before finding Tom Soares on the edge of the area, but his shot at goal looped over the bar and out of play.  With conditions worsening, getting colder and the fog looming players showed signs of slipping, especially Southend keeper Bentley as he chased a long Bury ball forward.

Bury broke with five minutes before half time, Andy Bishop turning quickly before feeding the ball to Tom Soares, but his shot at goal failed to reach the target or test the keeper.  As Steven Schumacher prepared to take a corner, referee Oliver Langford blew for half time, bringing a very cagey first half to a close.

Half time: Southend United 0 Bury 0

Neither side made any changes at the break, though concern was rising about the conditions with the surface showing signs of frost and a looming and lowering fog bank.  Within moments of the restart, Zac Thompson found himself shooting at goal from the edge of the box, but Southend keeper Bentley pulled off a stunning save to deny the Shakers midfielder.

Southend suddenly showed some energy and burst forward through Tomlin though a lunching challenge from Doherty saw the ball pushed out of play.  With the home side raising the tempo, the Shakers back five, six including the keeper, suddenly found themselves busier but they seemed to be holding strong.

A Southend corner on 55 minutes saw Cresswell and Barker come forward, but the delivery from Clohessy failed to get past the near post and Hughes smashed the ball away from danger.  A quick ball back into the Bury box saw Cresswell unmarked, but the delivery flew over the top of him and with the former Shaker struggling to stop on a freezing surface, his only option was to vault the pitch side fence into the stand.


A David Worrall cross just after the hour was cleared to Schumacher outside the area, his first time drive at goal though flew harmlessly over the bar.

Bury took the lead just inside the hour from a mistake from Ryan Cresswell, a ball across the back fell to Zac Thompson and he simply dinked the ball over the home keeper to put the Shakers into the lead.

GOAL: Southend United 0 Bury 1 (Thompson 59)

Within three minutes, the home side were back in the game, a cross into the box found the head of Tomlin, and he had the easiest task to head beyond Carson to make it all square.

GOAL: Southend United 1 Bury 1 (Tomlin 63)

Troy Hewitt replaced Andy Bishop soon after the Southend equaliser, with the home side spraying a free kick into the Bury box.  Bury cleared the ball well through Sodje and his header found Hewitt, the on-loan striker charged at goal before releasing the ball to Tom Soares, his drive at goal brought another good save from the home keeper to tip it over the bar.  Suddenly the game became a little livelier, a cross from David Worrall again fell to Soares, and his shot was cleared by the home defence and away for a Shakers throw. 

A shot from David Martin on 70 minutes brought an easy save for Trevor Carson, but his clearance came straight back into the box where Martin hit the ball over the Shakers bar.  Kevan Hurst was the next to try from distance, but again he hit the shot that flew into the crowd behind the goal.

Hewitt found Steven Schumacher on 76 minutes and the Shakers skipper’s shot flew very high and very wide of the target.  As the ball was being retrieved, Ebanks-Landell was replaced by Peter Sweeney.

Zac Thompson was shown a yellow card nine minutes from full time for a challenge on Timlin, the resulting free kick saw Trevor Carson collect and quickly clear.  Thompson sprinted clear and fired the ball across the face of goal but the home side cleared the ball and countered the Bury attack with no real end result.

Gregg Wylde replaced Tom Soares with 84 minutes on the clock.

Southend had a good chance on 86 minutes when Tomlin and Timlin combined well to get the ball into the Bury box.  Sodje was on hand though to thwart his former club and cleared the ball away for a corner.

A Southend free kick in the final minute saw the entire home side sprinting towards the Bury box, Hurst’s delivery saw Doherty flick the ball onto the roof of his own net for a home corner.  The corner from Eastwood brought a foul by Cresswell and a free kick to the Shakers.  Extra time is looming….

Southend had a big chance deep in injury time as Tomlin shot on goal, but watched as his effort flew just wide of the target.  A very late Bury free kick saw Steven Schumacher’s free kick hit the Southend wall and pushed away for a Bury corner, via a shot from Sodje.

Sweeney’s delivery was cleared just as the referee blew the final whistle and the game went to Extra Time

Full time:  Southend United 1 Bury 1

Extra Time - first half:  Southend changed shape slightly by pushing three up font at the start of the first period of extra time.  A shot from Clohessy was deflected out for a home corner within a minute of the restart, though the Shakers defence headed clear through Sodje.


Barry Corr attempted to get forward eight minutes into the first period, the ball was picked up by Eastwood from a half hit pass, and his fierce shot on target was held by Trevor Carson.  From his clearance, Schumacher found Gregg Wylde on the corner of the home box, his first time shot though was well held by keeper Bentley.

Moments later a quick break from the Shakers saw Doherty release the ball to the feet of David Worrall, with the goal bearing down, he somehow turned his shot well wide of the target and away from danger.

With two minutes of the first period remaining, the home side attempted to get the ball forward but again the Shakers defence held strong and cleared the danger.  Another shot from Freddie Eastwood produced the same result as his last effort, wide of the target.

Extra Time – Half time:  Southend United 1 Bury 1

The second period got under way with Southend attempting to pass the ball forward through Cresswell, but Sodje got his head to the ball and played a controlled header forward.  The ball came back straight away with Eastwood, who was brought down by Doherty for a home free kick.  Timlin’s delivery was quickly cleared for a throw by Hughes.  A shot from Hurst brought a good block from Joe Skarz and Bury attempted to get the ball up the field.

David Worrall was brought down soon after and Bury earnt a free kick just inside their own half.  Carson’s delivery though was easily dealt with by the Shrimpers defence.

A David Worrall cross soon after brought a Bury corner after going out of play thanks to a deflection off Prosser.  Sweeney’s deep delivery was quickly cleared by Eastwood and away for a Bury throw.

With four or five minutes of extra time remaining, just one chance for either side would win the game. 

A Worrall cross found Thompson but his shot was cleared and the home side broke with Tomlin, but his shot brought a clearance and the ball cleared.  It certainly looked like an excellent chance for the home side, but failed to materialise.

Southend replaced Barry Corr with Elliott Benyon with five minutes of extra time remaining.

With minutes to go, a Joe Skarz throw found Sweeney.  Chris Barker felled the Shakers midfielder giving Bury a free kick from the half way line.  The free kick dropped onto the head of Sodje inside the Southend box and found keeper Bentley.  From his clearance, Benyon shot from distance and Carson was forced to tip the ball out for a corner.  The delivery from Hurst found Eastwood but his header was wide of the target.


David Worrall went down with cramp with seconds to go and for some reason seemed to lash out at Michael Timlin.  Referee Oliver Longbridge showed Worrall and Timlin a yellow card each.

A Matt Doherty throw found Peter Sweeney, but his delivery was quickly cleared down the field as the full time whistle went, sending the game to penalties.

Final Score (After Extra Time): Southend United 1 Bury 1


Schumacher (Bury):  Scores (0-1) 
Eastwood (Southend):  Scores (1-1) 
Doherty (Bury):  Scores (1-2) 
Clohessy (Southend): Scores (2-2) 
Worrall (Bury):  SAVED  (2-2) 
Hurst (Southend):  Scores (3-2) 
Hewitt (Bury):  MISSES (3-2) 
Tomlin (Southend):  SAVED (3-2) 
Hughes (Bury): SAVED (3-2)

Bury:  Trevor Carson, Joe Skarz, David Worrall, Steven Schumacher, Andy Bishop, Efe Sodje, Mark Hughes, Matt Doherty, Zac Thomson, Ethan Ebanks-Landell, Tom Soares

Subs: Cameron Belford, Peter Sweeney, Lennel John-Lewis, Troy Hewitt, Andrai Jones, David Healy, Gregg Wylde

Gate: 3, 043 (101)

Advertisement block