Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Shakers defeated at Gigg Lane

24 July 2012

Plenty of positives, very few negatives

Shakers continued their pre-season on a baking hot evening and with the new Gigg Lane sprinklers resplendent in the evening sunshine.

Passing football from Bury saw Lateef and Marshall combining down the right hand side, a second ball from Lateef released Marshall, but the pace of the ball defeated him and rolled away out of play.  From the resulting free kick, Burnley came forward before Charlie Austen curled a ball away from goal and out of play – a fair amount of rustiness from both sides inside the first six minutes.

The best chance of the opening eight minutes came from the visitors, a good firm cross from Mills found the head of Austen, but his close range header was over the bar.  Bury’s response was again the pass the ball forward, and only more signs of rust prevented Harrad picking up a good ball from Elford-Alliyu.

Bury tested the Burley keeper through Steven Schumacher on eight minutes, more passing football down the left hand side saw Schumacher burst through a crowd of players – but with defenders chasing hard, the Shakers skipper launched his shot early straight into the clutching arms of Brian Jensen.

Another good chance came to Stephen Schumacher on 14 minutes, a good ball into the box from Worrall brought an excellent dummy from Lateef, he stepped over the ball and allowed Schumacher to drive the ball at goal, but the shot in the end flew high over the bar when a goal looked certain.

 Bury created another good chance on 17 minutes with a quick clearance from Hughes at the back, his ball fell to Worrall who swept it forward and wide for Marshall to chase, but a soft push in the back saw him stumbling before he eventually went to ground looking for a free kick, but referee Mathieson was having not of it and waved play on.

With 22 minutes gone, it was still the Shakers playing all the football, a great cross field ball from Schumacher found the head of David Worrall, his little header fell to Lateef, the former West Brom player took one touch and attempted to place the ball into the goal from the corner of the area, but brought an easy save from the veteran keeper Jensen.

A Phil Picken free foul in the corner of the box saw Wallace go crashing to the ground.  After being spoken to by the official, Stanislaus curled the ball towards the near post, but just missed the target despite the sprawling dive from Carson.

Burnley began to take a hold on the game with half an hour gone and a long range drive from Trippier stung the hands of Trevor Carson, but stop it he did before clearing quickly.  That clearance released Worrall who was then clinically brought down.  Moments later a good cross into the box fell to Harrad, his first time shot brought a good stop from Jensen.

The game suddenly erupted on 36 minutes with Burnley attempting to lob Carson, but the big man managed to claw the effort away, before releasing Lateef at the other end.  However, perhaps he took too much time as a defender came charging through to clear as he considered his options going forward.

Burnley were becoming more and more reliable to the long range efforts, and none were finding the target.  More football from Bury on 43 minutes saw Lateef burst forward, only for his little side ball to find Harrad in an offside position.  As the half time whistle went, Wallace fired a good shot behind the goal and out of play.

Half time:  Bury 0 Burnley 0

Burnley changed their entire eleven at the break whilst the Shakers came out with the same starting eleven that started the game.

A Kevin Long shot cannoned off the Bury defence, allowing the Shakers to break with Lateef, his quick ball wide fell to David Worrall who took it forward, eventually winning a corner.  Schumacher’s delivery brought a good punched clearance from Grant before going out for a deep Bury throw.  A Burnley corner on 48 minutes saw Danny Ings attempt to glance the ball home, but his effort was wide of the mark and flew away for a Bury throw on the opposite side of the field.

Burnley almost took the lead on 53 minutes when Martin Patterson somehow got a shot off on target, but an acrobatic punched clearance form Trevor Carson kept the ball out of the net.  

Good one touch passing from the Shakers almost saw Worrall carve open the Burnley defence, but his challenge on Long was ruled as unfair and the move was killed dead by the referee.

More good football from the Shakers with Worrall the chief of it all, this time on 57 minutes won another Bury corner.  Schumacher’s delivery saw Lafferty get above Sodje and away for another corner.  Sweeney’s delivery found the head of Mark Hughes and his bullet header was inches wide of the target, though perhaps Sodje could have pushed his head an inch forward to connect with the ball as it came past.

Burnley should have scored on the hour when Patterson slid the ball into the box, but a lunge from Sodje saw the ball out of play for a corner, that the shakers easily dealt with 

Subs for Bury:  Bishop, Carrington, Lockwood, John-Lewis and Jones – on - Hughes, Schumacher, Marshall, Harrad and Sodje – off 60 mins

A good turn inside the area from John-Lewis on 67 minutes brought another Bury corner, this time Sweeney’s delivery swung out of play, allowing possession back to the visitors.

Subs for Bury:  McLaughlin, Boswell, McCarthy, Melia, Belford – off – Carson, Worrall, Elford-Alliyu, Picken & Sweeney off 72 Mins

Burnley took the lead with nine minutes of the game remaining, a long cross field ball from Treacey found Patterson in full gallop; he took the ball into the box and clipped it over a despairing Cameron Belford to take the lead.

Bury had a half chance minutes later with Bishop breaking forward, but with defenders closing him down quickly, he was crowded out and Burnley cleared the ball.

Final Score:  Bury 0 Burnley 1
Gate: 1,981 (1,116 Burnley)

Advertisement block