Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Taught a lesson

31 July 2012

Birmingham City smash Shakers with five first half goals

Lee Clark’s side began to show their championship pedigree just seconds into the game with some stunning crisp passing with a move that the Shakers half cleared, but only as far as Nathan Redmond on the edge of the box, his thumping shot at goal was equally thumped clear by Lenell John-Lewis .


Birmingham took just two minutes to take the lead with a swinging ball in from the right from Chis Burke, unfortunately turned into his own net by a sliding Mark Hughes – not the start Richie Barker wanted


Goal:  Bury 0 Birmingham City 1 (Mark Hughes OG 2)


A good cross field ball from Joe Skarz on seven minutes looked to have beaten the off side trap, and with David Worrall racing away, the linesman took an absolute age to flag the Shakers winger offside, resulting in a slightly angry chant from the main stand aimed at the liners decision.


Bury should have got back into the game on 12 minutes when a cross into the box brought a header from Marlon King that looked to nbe lopping towards the top corner of his own net, fortunately for the visitors though it sailed just wide.  The resulting corner brought a good hand ball claim from the Shakers that was ignored by the officials.  Joe Skarz whipped another good ball into the box that keeper Lucas was nowhere near to, and from the ball back into the middle, Shaun Harrad managed to get his head onto it, but directed it back into the arms of keeper Lucas.


A defensive slip up from the Shakers on 15 minutes saw Peter Lovenkrands steal the ball and with all the time in the world, he fired it across Trevor Carson to double the Blues advantage


Goal:  Bury 0 Birmingham City 2 (Peter Lovenkrands 15)


Birmingham should have made it three on 20 minutes when a long ball forward from Murphy looked to be heading for safety with Mark Hughes under it, but he failed to see Marlon King charging in,and only a last minute sliding block from Hughes stopped a third goal for Birmingham.


Good footwork from Sweeney and Worrall  on 23 minutes should have brought a Bury goal, but a deep ball into the Box was quickly cleared up the field before a good ball into an unmarked Peter Lovenkrands produced a third goal – probably the easiest of the night.


Goal:  Bury 0 Birmingham 3 (Peter Lovenkrands 23)


A 29th minutes run down the flank from David Worrall produced a good telling cross into the box from the corner, the ball fell nicely for John-Lewis who managed to leap above Murphy, but could only send a powerful header wide of the post.


A Joe Skarz cross on 35 minutes brought probably Bury’s best chance, with the ball swinging away from goal, it was left to Steven Schumacher to get his head to the ball, but was unable to keep his effort on target, gifting possession back to the visitors via a goal kick.


Birmingham made it four goals inside 40 minutes with another quick break down the right hand side.  The ball eventually fell to Chris Burke who showed a clinical touch just inside the box to make it four.


Goal:  Bury 0 Birmingham City 4 (Chris Burke 39)


The visitors made it five just three minutes later, a fierce drive from Nathan Redmond was pushed away by Trevor Carson, but only as far as Marlon King, who drove home from six yards.

Goal:  Bury 0 Birmingham 5 (Marlon King 42)


Half time:  Bury 0 Birmingham City 5


Bury made two changes at the break with Andy Bishop & Lateef Elford-Alliyu replacing  Shaun Harrad and Lenell John-Lewis.


The change made a slight difference to the flow of the game with Lateef causing a few problems, mostly with his jinking runs, but the first real shot of note came some eight minutes into the second half when Schumacher found Bishop on the edge of the box, his shot just lacked enough power to worry Lucas though.


Birmingham should have made it six on 56 minutes when a corner form the left found the head of Marlon King, but a good reaction save from Trevor Carson kept the score to five.  Steven Caldwell’s follow up drive flew harmlessly over the bar.  A Bury move forward on 62 minutes saw David Worrall curl another good ball into the box, the cross did find the head of Bishop and his glancing header flew inches wide of the target.


Another good chance for the Shakers came on 64 minutes when Lateef Elford-Alliyu laid the ball off at the feet of Schumacher, his shot from around the 25 yard range, stung the palms of keeper Lucas.


65:  Marshall, Jones & Sodje on – Lockwood, Sweeney and Picken off


Within minutes of coming on, Marcus Marshall should have pout the ball in the back of the net, A stunning ball from the left, curling away from the keeper, found Marshall – in space but his glancing header flew wide of the target.


Bury did get back in the game moments later when Lateef Elford-ALliyu collected the ball around 25 yards out and smashed a looping drive over the top of keeper Lucas, giving him no chance.


Goal:  Bury 1 Birmingham City 5 (Lateef Elford-Alliyu 67)


69 Carson off – Belford on


Shakers made a better fist of the second half with several half chances, though in truth they failed to test the keeper and were resorted to long distance efforts.  When a closer chance did present itself, wayward finishing kept the visitors with such a large advantage.


Bury had a good chance with minutes to go when Steven Schumacher drove at goal after cutting across the corner of the box, though again his chance failed to test the keeper


The pre-season campaign moves onto a visit from a Wigan Athletic development squad on Thursday night


Gate:  807 (126 from Birmingham)










Ref: Andy Madley

Asst: Mr. N Gibbons

Asst:  Mr. A Clayton

4th Off: Mr J Wilson

Advertisement block