Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Cherries Shake Shakers

24 November 2012

A last minute equaliser stuns the Shakers

Bury took the lead twice with well-taken goals, but couldn’t finish off a Bournemouth side who kept bouncing back.

The Shakers first took the lead with a well-worked goal, with Peter Sweeney passing through to Matt Doherty whose cross was volleyed into the net by Troy Hewitt.

Bournemouth hit back in the second half as Lewis Grabban poked home, but David Worrall answered with a cheeky finish of his own soon after.

The away side broke Bury’s heart as the clock ran down, with substitute Brett Pitman catching Ethan Ebanks-Landell in possession and curling the ball home.

Simon Francis carved open the Bury defence on 12 minutes, crossing low to meet the feet of Lewis Grabban, but his shot from in front of goal went just wide.

GOAL! Bury took the lead in style on 14 minutes – a pin point cross from Matt Doherty on the right found Troy Hewitt in the right place to volley the ball home, leaving David James with no chance.

Bury 1 Bournemouth 0

A looping header from Hewitt in the middle of park saw Tom Hopper run onto the ball on 34 minutes, but he was brought down on the edge of the box by Miles Addison, who went into the referee’s book for his troubles.

Bournemouth yellow card on 35 minutes – Miles Addison

The free kick was nudged to Peter Sweeney by Zac Thompson, before Sweeney swung the ball towards goal, forcing James to tip the ball out for a corner.

Bury were inches from extending their lead on 40 minutes, thanks to a corner on the right which met the head of Doherty, but his strong effort struck the post.

Half time – Bury 1 Bournemouth 0

Bury were destined to face a Bournemouth penalty on 54 minutes, after the referee pointed to the spot after seeing an apparent handball. After consulting with his assistant on the far side, the referee changed his mind, giving the away side a corner.

Bournemouth yellow card on 55 minutes – Harry Arter

GOAL! The away side claimed an equaliser on 59 minutes, after Charlie Daniels crossed the ball for Lewis Grabban to stroke over the line at the far post.

Bury 1 Bournemouth 1

The game turned into an end-to-end contest following the equaliser, with Bury going close before Bournemouth had a chance from Addison cleared off the line by David Worrall on 65 minutes.

Bournemouth substitution on 73 minutes – Brett Pitman on for Matt Tubbs

GOAL! Worrall pushed Bury into the lead on 78 minutes with a cheeky finish – after making space for himself on the right of the box, he squeezed in between the last defender and James to neatly poke the ball over the line.

Bury 2 Bournemouth 1

Bury substitution on 79 minutes – Lenell John-Lewis on for Tom Hopper 

A dangerous Bournemouth corner on 81 minutes caused chaos in the Bury box, forcing another clearance on the line to keep Bury’s lead.

Bournemouth substitution on 82 minutes – Donal McDermott on for Josh McQuiod 

Bournemouth substitution on 87 minutes – Eunan O’Kane on for Tommy Elphick 

GOAL! Bournemouth brought the game level for the second time as the fourth official announced there would be five added minutes. Ethan Ebanks-Landell was caught in possession and Brett Pitman took the ball from him, curling it out of Trevor Carson’s reach.

Bury 2 Bournemouth 2

Five minutes of added time failed to reap rewards for either side, despite Marc Pugh rattling the cross bar from distance.

Full time – Bury 2 Bournemouth 2

Attendance 2,541 (259 visitors)

Advertisement block