Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Scunthorpe United 1 Bury 2

20 November 2012

Scunthorpe United 1 Bury 2

Bury got Saturdays defeat at Colchester out of the way with a fantastic 2-1 win at Scunthorpe on Tuesday evening, but it could have been so much better with several chances spurned.


Bury got the game underway by immediately applying pressure on the home goal, a first minute shot on goal from Tom Hopper was fired straight down keeper Steve Mildenhall’s throat, the loose ball fell to the head of Troy Hewitt his looping header flew high over the Iron crossbar.


From the resulting goal kick, Bury moved the ball back forward quickly with Mark Hughes lobbing a floated effort into the box towards Tom Soares, but pressure from the home defence saw the ball smashed away from danger.


Another good chance on seven minutes when Troy Hewitt won a ball in the corner, a quick turn to leave former Shaker Tom Newey floundering before he delivered a stunning cross into the box for Tom Hopper to throw his forehead at, again though the Scunthorpe backline cleared quickly and looked to counter the shakers attack, but failed to get he ball over the half way line.


Troy Hewitt and David Worrall combined well a minute later to move the ball down the flank at pace, the ball into the box when it eventually came brought a headed clearance from Damien Mozika, but the returning header from Tom Soares on the edge of the Iron box was easily collected by the home keeper.


A David Worrall 9th minute cross following another good run down the wing, again found the head of Tom Hopper, this time though his flashed header rose above the cross bar and out of play, though Hopper was to be involved two minutes later.  He collected the ball five yards in front of the Scunthorpe box, but a heavy challenge from behind saw the Shakers awarded a free kick.


The free kick when it came was straight off the training ground with movement off the ball before the ball was touched.  Schumacher places the ball for the free kick then moved away, it looked initially that Skarz would take the free kick, he moved to one side allowing David Worrall to stand over the ball, he then moved to one side and ran across the face of the Scunthorpe wall before Schumacher suddenly and quickly re-positioned himself to fire the ball through the Scunthorpe wall and beyond keeper Mildenhall to give the Shakers a very deserved lead.


Goal:  Scunthorpe United 0 Bury 1 (Schumacher 12)


Within three minutes the Shakers had won another free kick, just slightly closer and wider from the previous successful effort.  The angle looked to be too acute for Schumacher to go for goal, but with a nervous looking wall ten yards in front of the Bury skipper, he did exactly what nobody expected – and went with a powerful drive at goal, unfortunately though the result was not the same as his previous effort as the Iron wall held up and the ball cannoned away to safety.


David Worrall was the next to sting the hands of the Scunthorpe keeper with a well-placed shot on 19 minutes, again though the shot appeared to be fired straight at the keeper.  Scunthorpe had their first real effort a minute later when he burst through the Bury back four.  With a goal looking the obvious outcome, Trevor Carson somehow managed to get a hand to the shot and turned it around the post for a home corner.


Former Shaker Damien Mozika was throwing himself into tackles and winning balls in a way that Bury fans had become to expect before his move to Scunthorpe two years ago.  One such challenge won the ball well on 30 minutes, but his cross into the box after moving into space brought much laughter from the visiting supporters as Mark Hughes easily cleared.

Mark Duffy attempted to get his side back into the game four minutes later, but the shot when it did come lacked both power and pace and was easily dealt with by Trevor Carson.


Bury had a chance on 37 minutes to double their lead when a Steven Schumacher shot on goal was well stopped by Mildenhall, the loose ball fell to Troy Hewitt but his shot on target just drifted around the wrong side of the Scunthorpe post.


Half Time:  Scunthorpe United 0 Bury 1


Bury started the second period as they had started the first half – at pace and with a chance on goal.  A good combination from Worrall and Thompson eventually saw David Worrall play a clever reverse ball into an over lapping Matt Doherty, he took the ball towards the touch line and angled his run towards the iron box before firing a palm stinging effort into the Scunthorpe side netting from close range.


Bury broke again on 50 minutes with Hewitt becoming a constant thorn in the home side, this time he released the ball wide to Tom Soares, he took one touch and sprayed the ball towards the Scunthorpe area, but a far too heavy touch saw the ball drift harmlessly out of play.


Scunthorpe got back into the game on 52 minutes when a Karl Hawley flick caught Ethan Ebanks-Landell napping.  Leon Clarke stole through the Shakers backline and fired a low crisp shot across Trevor Carson and into the opposite corner.


Goal:  Scunthorpe United 1 Bury 1 (Clarke 52)


Bury though were not to show any disappointment as within 60 seconds they were back in front.  A clever and stunning ball from Tom Soares flicked forward and into the corner of the outside of his right foot, fell perfectly to Tom Hopper.  He took the ball to the touchline before firing a crisp drive across the face of the goal.  Troy Hewitt took great pleasure in driving the ball into the back of an open goal from close range to grab his first career goal and give the Shakers the advantage.


Goal:  Scunthorpe United 1 Bury 2 (Hewitt 53)


Within six minutes, Bury had another excellent chance, a good ball into the box from Worrall saw Hopper shoot at goal, but a despairing challenge from McChrystal saw his effort deflect over the bar for a Bury corner.


Scunthorpe had a rare chance on 62 minute when Iron skipper Tom Newey delivered the ball into the box, with Leon Clarke bearing down on goal and with only Carson to beat, Joe Skarz threw his body at the ball and cleared the danger, though collected a neck injury in the process.  Lengthy treatment though saw the Yorkshire man continue to finish the game with no problem.


Tom Soares tried his luck from distance on 74 minutes, he cleverly turned a defender before firing at goal, but his shot rose high over the cross bar.   Some five minutes later and David Worrall could and should have sealed the victory.  A bursting run through the heart of the Iron defence saw him shoot from the edge of the box but fire his ball straight at the home keeper.


Another chance came on 82 minutes, Troy Hewitt had produced a master class performance for the entire game and deserved better with a shot on target.  A headed clearance a foot from the line saw his efforts thwarted though.  Tom Hopper followed the chance up but his shot was well held by Mildenhall.

Lenell John-Lewis made a welcome return from injury on 83 minutes and brought the return of the ‘Shop’ song on 90 minutes when he burst into the box to connect with a Worrall cross, though his effort looked to be going wide of the target, a defender touched the ball out for a Bury corner.


Finally after four minutes of injury time, referee Geoff Eltringham called time on the Shakers fourth, but well deserved victory.


Full time:  Scunthorpe United 1 Bury 2


Bury:  Trevor Carson, Matt Doherty, Joe Skarz, Ethan Ebanks-Landell, Mark Hughes, David Worrall, Tom Soares, Steven Schumacher, Zac Thompson, Tom Hopper (John-Lewis 83), Troy Hewitt (Sodje 90)


Subs:  Cameron Belford, Peter Sweeney, Craig Jones, Lenell John-Lewis, Mark Carrington, Efe Sodje, Andrai Jones


Scunthorpe United: Steve Mildenhall, Christian Ribeiro, Josh Walker, Damien Mozika (Ryan 78), Leon Clarke, Andy Barcham (Kennedy 67), Niall Donovan, Mark Duffy, Tom Newey, Karl Hawley (Ellington 67), Mark McChrystal


Subs:  Sam Slocombe, Callum Kennedy, Jimmy Ryan, Mike Grella, Robbie Gibbons, Callum Howe, Nathan Ellington


Gate:  3,027 (242)


Advertisement block