Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Preview: Bury v Walsall

27 October 2012

Shakers rue missed chances

Following from their first win of the season on Tuesday night, Bury failed to capitalise on large stretches of possession and chances against a poor Walsall side.

The visitors took an early lead in disastrous circumstances, as Bury keeper Trevor Carson’s clearance rebounded off Will Grigg, who chased it down and took it over the line.

Bury struck back moments later with an impressive individual strike from Dominic Poleon – he waltzed the ball into the box before curling the ball around David Grof.

The Shakers went on to have plenty of chances to take the lead, with Tom Hopper turning and shooting twice, with one effort hitting the post.

Bury looked threatening from the start, with a shot on goal from Steven Schumacher after 35 seconds – shooting from the edge of the box, he forced a reaction save from David Grof to give Bury a corner.

Neat link up play from Dominic Poleon and David Healy on six minutes saw Healy blast the ball at Grof from ten yards out. The rebound fell to Poleon, but he sent the ball well over the bar from a difficult angle.

GOAL! The visitors took the lead against the run of play and in calamitous style on seven minutes, after a short back pass left Trevor Carson in a tricky spot. He tried to clear the ball, but as Will Grigg chased him down, Carson hit the back of him before Grigg pushed it over the line.

Bury 0 Walsall 1

GOAL! The Shakers struck back in style four minutes later, with a stunning individual effort from Poleon. Taking the ball past one player, then another, he struck from the left of the box, curling it past Grof and bringing Bury level.

Bury 1 Walsall 1

Walsall substitution on 26 minutes – James Chambers on for Andy Taylor

Schumacher tried his trademark long-range free kick on 27 minutes, after he was brought down 30 yards out. He got his laces behind the ball and struck it sweetly, with Grof just managing to get a hand to it at the far post.

Poleon was looking for his second goal on 37 minutes – hard work from David Worrall deep in the Walsall half saw him pick out Poleon on the left of the box, but his shot was headed off the line by Andy Butler.

Tom Hopper looked close to getting himself on the score sheet in added time, turning and shooting from the middle of the box, only for Grof to palm the ball out for a corner.

Half time – Bury 1 Walsall 1

A swirling shot from Jamie Paterson on 48 minutes forced Carson to block the ball with his chest, with Adam Lockwood clearing up the danger.

Hopper replicated his chance from late in the first half on 52 minutes, turning and shooting from just inside the box, but could only watch as the ball struck the far post.

Bury substitution on 65 minutes – Troy Hewitt on for David Healy

Walsall substitution on 65 minutes – George Bowermann on for James Baxendale

A swirling cross from Sweeney on 72 minutes found the head of Poleon at the far post, but his header was well over the bar.

A cross from the right found Hewitt’s head at the far post on 74 minutes – he headed it back across goal but nobody could make that final connection.

A whipped corner from Schumacher moments later skimmed in front of goal before Efe Sodje made contact with his head, sending the ball just wide.

Bury yellow card on 79 minutes – Dominic Poleon

Walsall substitution on 79 minutes – Ashley Hemmings on for Jamie Paterson

Bury substitution on 80 minutes – Craig Jones on for Dominic Poleon

Bury substitution on 86 minutes – Mark Carrington on for Peter Sweeney

The Shakers were awarded a free kick on the stroke of normal time as Hewitt was pulled down by Butler. Schumacher hit the ball low and on target, but Grof was there to gather in front of his line.

Three minutes of added time were soon over, with the sides leaving the field honours even.

Full time – Bury 1 Walsall 1

Attendance – 2,514 (318 visitors)


Advertisement block