Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Bury 2 Scunthorpe United 1

16 April 2013

Bury 2 Scunthorpe United 1

Already-relegated Bury condemned Scunthorpe United to a steep uphill climb for survival with a resounding home win.

With only two players on the bench, the Shakers plodded through a meagre first half and went in at the break 1-0 down after Karl Hawley glanced a header past Cameron Belford on the stroke of half time.

But it was a second half renaissance for the Shakers – Jonson Clarke-Harris curled a stunning free kick past the outstretched Eirik Johansen on 67 minutes, before Nicky Ajose wrapped up the points after sweeping the ball past the keeper moments later.

Neil Canavan spent some time on the deck on 8 minutes, after a clash of heads – Cameron Belford put the ball out of play for him to receive treatment.

Scunthorpe United substitute on 10 minutes – David Mirfin on for Neil Canavan

A searching cross from Tom Soares on 20 minutes was destined for the head of Jonson Clarke-Harris, but the striker couldn’t quite connect in front of goal.

Moments later and at the other end, Matt Godden beat the offside trap to find some space for himself just inside the box – with only Belford to beat, he blasted the shot well wide.

Mark Carrington found himself with time to shoot from the edge of the box on 27 minutes, but his curled effort was tame and Eirik Johansen gathered up the ball with ease.

Nicky Ajose picked out Zac Thompson with room to shoot on 29 minutes, but the on-loan midfielder could only blast the ball into the hands of Johansen.

A foul on Ajose gave Bury a free kick just outside the box on 42 minutes – Clarke-Harris curled the ball towards the far post, before it was deflected just wide.

GOAL! The visitors took the lead within the first minute of first half stoppage time. A well-taken glancing header from Karl Hawley was enough to beat Belford and see Scunthorpe take a slim lead into the break.

Bury 0 Scunthorpe United 1

Half time – Bury 0 Scunthorpe United 1

Mark Duffy was picked out by a searching ball from goalscorer Hawley on 54 minutes, but he could only blast the ball wide of the near post.

David Worrall did the hard work on the left on 59 minutes, before crossing low to Ajose in front of goal. All it needed was a poke past Johansen from close range, but Ajose passed it into his hands instead.

GOAL! Bury were back on level terms in style on 67 minutes as Clarke-Harris powered home a curling free kick past Johansen.

Bury 1 Scunthorpe United 1

Scunthorpe United substitute on 68 minutes – Mike Grella on for Anthony Forde

GOAL! The Shakers took the lead moments after bringing the game level – Carrington fell on the edge of the box but the loose ball fell to Ajose, who swept the ball into the back of the net.

Bury 2 Scunthorpe United 1

Scunthorpe United substitution on 70 minutes – Akpo Sodje on for Karl Hawley

Clarke-Harris struck the side netting with just over 6 minutes of the game remaining, as the Shakers piled forward in numbers once again.

Ajose struck the side netting moments after his strike partner, after turning and shooting on impulse.

Four minutes of added time saw Mike Grella shoot from the edge of the box, but Belford had it covered.

Full time -Bury 2 Scunthorpe United 1

Attendance – 1,567 (248 visitors)

Advertisement block