Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Bury 3 Yeovil Town 2

27 April 2013

Bury 3 Yeovil Town 2

Bury 3 Yeovil Town 2

The Shakers went out of League One with a bang, comprehensively beating a Yeovil Town side who’d already cemented a play-off place

All the action was in the first half for Bury, with Jonson Clarke-Harris seeing himself looking for a hat trick after just 25 minutes – a scuffed effort on five minutes and a free kick twenty minutes later left the Shakers in a jubilant mood.

Nicky Ajose made it three before the break, coolly slotting home form the left of the box after chasing down the ball.

The visitors weren’t down and out, pulling two goals out of the bag. On 57 minutes, James Hayter buried an Edward Upson corner at the near post before Kevin Dawson made it two in the dying seconds.

Paddy Madden managed to somehow miss an open goal after just 14 seconds of the game played – he chased down a Cameron Belford clearance but completely missed an open net from close range.

GOAL! Bury took the lead after five minutes of play, thanks to a scuffed effort from Jonson Clarke-Harris, which left Marek Stech rooted to the spot as it bounced past him and into the net.

Bury 1 Yeovil Town 0

The Shakers should have had a second moments later, but Clarke-Harris sent the ball just wide of the right post from the middle of the box.

Sam Foley found himself with plenty of space on 23 minutes, pacing forward with the ball before shooting from the right of the box - Belford was in the right place at the right time to keep it out.

GOAL! The Shakers doubled their lead on 25 minutes with a second goal for Clarke-Harris – a foul on Nicky Ajose gave Bury a free kick just outside the box and Clarke-Harris stepped up to send it into the bottom right hand corner.

Bury 2 Yeovil Town 0

GOAL! Bury had their third goal on 32 minutes, courtesy of a well-taken effort from Ajose – he carried on working to keep hold of the ball on the left of the box while under pressure, before coolly slotting it past Stech.

Bury 3 Yeovil Town 0

Two minutes of added time saw Bury keep a firm grip on their lead – it was the first time all season they’d scored three goals.

Half time – Bury 3 Yeovil Town 0

Clarke-Harris had his hat trick in his sights and tried his luck from distance on 46 minutes, but Stech had it covered in the Yeovil net.

Yeovil Town yellow card on 56 minutes – Luke Ayling

GOAL! James Hayter hit back for the visitors on 57 minutes, burying a close range header past Belford from a whipped corner from Edward Upson.

Bury 3 Yeovil Town 1

Joe Edwards had time to compose himself and shoot on 68 minutes, but his volleyed effort was saved by Belford.

Yeovil Town substitution on 73 minutes – Gavin Williams on for Joe Edwards

Double Yeovil Town substitution on 80 minutes – Richard Hinds on for James Hayter, Angelo Balanta on for Paddy Madden

Euan Holden found himself with the space and time to tee up a shot from just inside the box on 83 minutes, but he blasted it well over the bar.

Bury substitution on 86 minutes – Ashley Eastham on for Euan Holden

As the board went up to display four added minutes, Clarke-Harris sent in a low cross for Tom Soares, but he couldn’t poke the ball past Stech.

GOAL! Yeovil pulled another goal back in the dying moments, courtesy of a blasted effort from Kevin Dawson from just inside the box.

A tussle between Belford and Lewis Young saw them both booked, moments after Craig Fagan was booked for obstruction. Goings on in midfield then saw Soares, Upson and Dawson also booked.

The visitors claimed a corner in the dying seconds, which prompted goalkeeper Stech to get up in the box. Bury cleared the danger and piled forward ahead of the retreating Stech, but Ajose’s final touch was pushed off the line.

Full time – Bury 3 Yeovil Town 2

Attendance - 2,440 (401 visitors)


Advertisement block