Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Preview: Bury v Cheltenham Town

31 August 2013

Bury 4 Cheltenham Town 1

Expectation and confidence was high before the game after hitting three goals past Premier League Norwich City in midweek.  Although the Shakers slipped to an unfortunate early own goal, they took just eight minutes to reply with three excellent strikes to take a 3-1 half time lead in a game they totally dominated from the fourth minute until the final minute.  The quality of the football though was the main talking point from many of those leaving on full time


Kevin Blackwell made just one change to his starting eleven that faced Norwich, with Trevor Carson coming off the bench for the first time this season in the place of Rob Lainton who was out with a shoulder problem.


Bury faced a setback just four minutes into the first half when ex Aldershot winger Jermaine McGlashan broke down the right wing playing a fast ball outside the area to Terry Gornell, who took the ball into the box and managed to sneak it past an advancing Trevor Carson. The ball looked as though it may have just crept around the outside of the post but Andy Procter slipped as he attempted to clear the ball and his touch took the ball into the back of his own net.


GOAL:  Bury 0-1 Cheltenham (Andy Procter OG 4)


Bury didn't let their heads drop, in fact it was exactly the opposite as they stepped up their power and pace. Their first chance fell to Andy Procter just moments after putting through his own net.  Danny Mayor won the ball just wide of the box, and skipped past two Cheltenham defenders to play the ball outside the area to Marlon Jackson. Jackson struck the shot but the ball hit Cheltenham centre back Jason Taylor. The deflected ball fell to the chest of Andy Procter who brought it down and hit it on the half volley only to see his effort sail over the bar.


On the 9 minutes Tommy Miller won the ball from McGlashan and went on to drop a perfect ball to a free running Danny Mayor. Mayor controlled the ball well sprinting past Sam Deering and spinning past Keith Lowe before hitting an absolute screamer into the top left hand corner of Brown's Net from just outside the area. The Goal of the Season race had gained a new entry!


GOAL: Bury 1-1 Cheltenham (Danny Mayor 9)


By the 12th minute Bury were in the driving seat – and in the lead.  A clearance from centre half Steve Elliott brought the first Bury corner.  Craig Jones whipped in a trademark ball on a sixpence to find Andy Procter.  The former Preston skipper put his forehead through the ball and drove it into the top left hand corner - making up for his own goal 9 minutes earlier.


GOAL Bury 2-1 Cheltenham (Andy Procter 12 mins)


Bury's start was proving to be too strong for the visitors within five minutes of taking the lead, it was extended further.  An Anton Forrester cross from the corner was quickly pushed away for another Bury corner.  The delivery from Jones was cleared by the Cheltenham defence, but back towards Jones in the corner.  Though his first attempt at crossing, he reclaimed the ball from an attempted challenge and quickly whipped a low cross to the near post.  Nathan Cameron who had remained in the area from the corner managed to stab the ball home underneath keeper Scott Brown to make it three goals for the Shakers in eight minutes.


GOAL Bury 3-1 Cheltenham (Nathan Cameron 17 mins)


Bury had dominated the opening 20 minutes and continued to press, Forrester in particular was doing well in holding the ball and allowing numbers to swell in and around the box, and he did so again on 23 minutes before feeding it to Marlon Jackson.  Jackson showed good close control on the edge of the box but his stern drive at goal was blocked by the visiting defence


Just half-time Danny Mayor broke down the left wing passing Jason Taylor. The on-loan Sheff Wednesday winger took the ball deep before cutting back towards goal and powered another shot at goal, this time though the ball zipped across the face of the Cheltenham goal, needing just a touch to send it goal wards, but the touch never came and it drifted out of play.


Half time eventually came after four minutes of added time and brought a deserved standing ovation from the Shakers faithful, with Bury looking a serious threat from all directions – especially down both flanks, the left the field with a thoroughly deserved 3-1 advantage.


Half Time:  Bury 3-1 Cheltenham


Bury began the second half very brightly and a good pass to Craig Jones wide of the box by Anton forester set Jones up. The former TNS winger charged into the corner and played it across the floor to Danny Mayor just outside the area who attempted a curling placed shot on goal, but his effort didn't trouble Scott Brown who saved the ball comfortably.


Cheltenham had notably upped their game in the second half, and with the Shakers expecting the kitchen sink to come at them, a focused Bury continued to dominate play.   As time wore on the pace of the game dropped but the entertainment levels remained high with the Shakers supporters gripped by the football on offer from Bury.


Just on the hour, Tommy Miller won the ball in the middle of the park. He hit a strong diagonal side footed ball out to Shaun Beeley that again brought applause from the fans.  Beeley took the ball straight past Keith Lowe before playing a low cross into the feet of Craig Jones.  He produced a clever flick to find Andy Procter but his snap shot on goal flew over the Cheltenham bar.


New cult hero Jessy Reindorf was introduced on 68 minutes, replacing Marlon Jackson.  His first touch of the ball saw him take it forward and from 40 yards out the home supporters begged for another shot with cries of ‘shoot’ coming from three sides of the ground.


His second goal for the shakers would come eight minutes after coming off the bench.  Gareth Roberts and Danny Mayor zipped the ball between themselves in the corner, before Mayor managed to manoeuvre into space.  His cross into the box looked to be sailing over everyone, until Jessy Reindorf uncoiled his legs and rose like a leaping salmon to connect with the ball and loop the ball over keeper Brown and into the back of the net.  The goal brought the biggest cheer from the home supporters as Jessy lead the celebrations in front of the south stand.


GOAL:  Bury 4-1 Cheltenham (Jessy Reindorf 76)


Bury showed no signs of slowing down and actually increased the pace of the game. The last chance for the Shakers fell on the 84th minute as Reindorf won the ball from Keith Lowe. He played it wide to Craig Jones who crossed the ball to the edge of the box to find Jordan Sinnott; the on-loan Huddersfield midfielder took a shot on goal.  His shot was deflected off the back of Sido Jombarti and fell in front of Shaun Beeley.  Beeley stoked at goal but saw his shot fly wide of the post.


As the final whilst came, three stands rose and gave the lads another deserved standing ovation.  It just makes you wonder what will happen when this side really gel’s together…


Final Score:  Bury 4 Cheltenham Town 1


Attendance: 2,910 (167)

Sponsors Man of the Match:  Danny Mayor

Advertisement block