Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Shakers impress

24 August 2013

Shakers produce the goods at Burton, but come away with just a point

A comment from the press room at half time – ‘If you carry on playing like that, Bury will walk this league’ – such was the dominance for a large part of this game.  When this team gels together, they have a good chance of doing just that after an opening spell that contained some of the best football seen from a Bury side in years.

A strong performance from Bury saw them race into a 2-0 lead before they were pegged back by a late strike from Adam McGurk.  First half goals from Anton Forrester and William Edjenguele gave Bury the advantage before Michael Symes and then a 9oth minute McGurk goal denied the Shakers the three points.

Kevin Blackwell made four changes to the team that faced Accrington and handed debuts to William Edjenguele and Tommy Miller with Richard Hinds and Ashley Grimes dropping to the bench. Nathan Cameron returned to the team after serving a one match suspension and Danny Mayor replaced Tom Soares who failed to recover from an ankle injury.  There was also a shift in formation with Forrester playing the lone ranger role up front with Tommy Miller dropping in-between midfield and defence.

Bury started the better of the two sides with the midfield trio of Tommy Miller, Andy Procter and Jordan Sinnott controlling the tempo of the game. Sinnott had a chance in the first five minutes as his 30 yard screamer stung the palms of Burton goalkeeper Dean Lyness, though the shot stopper managed to grab it at the second attempt.

Bury took the lead on 16 minutes with a great strike from on loan striker Anton Forrester. Though the build-up play to the goal was the main talking point from the gathered media at half time with sublime one touch football involving Miller, Mayor, Jones, Sinnott and finally Forrester. 

Forrester received the ball on the edge of the area from Danny Mayor and took on Marcus Holness. He used one touch to take it outside his man and curled the ball round the defender into the top corner to give Bury the lead.

GOAL: Burton Albion 0 Bury 1 (Anton Forrester 16)

Burton had chances to make the scores level but good defending from Bury prevented them from doing so. Robbie Weir was put under heavy pressure at the back post and was forced into heading into the side netting before Alex MacDonald saw his shot go wide of the mark with two Bury defenders closing him down.

The combination of Edjenguele and Nathan Cameron bore more rewards soon after as they combined superbly to break down and clear q quick Burton Albion counter attack.  With both Miller and Edjenguele coming into the team this week, the Shakers suddenly look much stronger, the sooner this team gels together – the better for all.  It’s almost there, you can see it coming.

Anton Forrester was becoming one of the key figures in the game and went close with an effort in the 40th minute. Bury broke through Craig Jones’s direct run freed up space for Forrester on the edge of the area and when he received it from Jones his effort was deflected just wide of the Burton post for a Bury corner.

William Edjenguele got a goal on his debut from the resulting Jordan Sinnott corner. Sinnott swung the ball to the back post and Edjenguele arrived late to head in with Robbie Weir powerless to stop the thunderous header from going into the net.

GOAL: Burton Albion 0 Bury 2 (William Edjenguele 41)

Charles Breakspear, in his first season as a Football League referee, became card happy towards the end of the first half with Shaun Beeley and William Edjenguele receiving yellow cards for petty fouls.  The first half finished with a very impressive first half for Bury with a high standard performance.

Bury dominated the midfield with the trio of Andy Procter, Jordan Sinnott and Tommy Miller, playing a rough diamond, controlling the tempo of the game and pulling the strings for Bury’s attacking movements.

Half Time: Burton Albion 0 Bury 2

Rob Lainton produced a fantastic save to keep the score at 2-0 on 50 minutes and showed great agility in preventing Howe’s header going in with a diving one handed save. Lee Bell struck an effort from outside the area and as it seemed to be going wide, Howe directed the ball towards the goal and Lainton dived high to his left and tip the ball around the post for a Burton corner.

Burton’s Michael Symes wasted a chance to get a goal back shortly after he came on as a substitute. He peeled off Nathan Cameron at the back post but the pressure from Shaun Beeley forced him into a poor connection and the ball flashed wide of the post.

Michael Symes got another chance eight minutes before the final whistle and he took it well with his header being buried past Lainton. Adam McGurk curled the ball to the back post and Symes rose the highest to head home to get a goal back for Burton.

GOAL: Burton Albion 1 Bury 2 (Symes 82)

Ashley Grimes replaced Jordan Sinnott soon after the goal and slotted into the hole behind Harrad, he linked up well with Craig Jones to create a chance for Harrad. Jones found Harrad unmarked in the box but as he was about to connect with the ball, his standing foot went underneath him and his shot was sliced out for a throw in.

Burton got a dramatic late equaliser as the clocked ticked into added time. Adam McGurk intercepted a pass in midfield, got into the area and created space for himself to get a shot away. He hit a powerful effort towards the top corner which went in despite the best efforts of Rob Lainton.

GOAL: Burton Albion 2 Bury 2 (McGurk 90)

An impressive first half from Bury in which they dominated most of the possession but their second half efforts brought little reward.  There was disappointment from the Shakers faithful, who again made themselves heard throughout the game, but we’ve seen what this side can do and it bodes well for the rest of the season.

Final Score:  Burton Albion 2 Bury 2

Advertisement block