Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth: Wrexham 1 Bury 4

30 August 2013

Youth team claim their first three points at the home of the Champions

Alan Moore’s Youth Team claimed their first three points of the season at the weekend with an excellent performance at current Youth Alliance champions Wrexham.


The youngsters got their campaign up and running with a convincing win, but although not at their best, Bury were stronger than their hosts all over the park.  Such was Bury’s dominance, that the Wrexham side had no answer to the pace and passing from the Shakers youngsters.


It took just 12 minutes to open the scoring when Regan Walker picked up the ball and from 25 yards out, he let fly with a stunning effort that flew into the bottom corner with the keeper nowhere near the ball as it sailed past him.


The early goal settled Bury and a second goal followed ten minutes later - and from the same source.  A Bury corner was dealt with by the home defence and cleared back to Navid Nasseri in the corner; he quickly crossed low and hard into the box for Walker to slot home from close range


With Bury on top of the game, Regan Walker had an excellent chance to seal a hat trick just before half time.  He worked the ball forward into a one v one opportunity with the Wrexham keeper but failed to find the target, whilst moments later Anthony Dudley missed another excellent chance by side footing wide of the mark from five yards.  Unbelievably there was still time in the first half for Matt Cook to bring a fantastic save out of the home keeper from another Nasseri corner.


Wrexham came out for the second half and applied pressure from the off, but a third Bury goal on 55 minutes killed the game as a contest.  Navid Nasseri broke down the right flank and his perfect cross into the box was met by Scott Burgess who finished with an excellent strike into the roof of the net to give the keeper no chance.


Soon after, Nasseri tried his luck from long range but stood as his excellent strike cannoned off the cross bar, Liam Bickett had a further two chances to increase the Shakers lead whilst Walker again had plenty of opportunities to claim a hat trick.


Eventually a fourth goal did come, but this fell came Wrexham’s way.  A set piece dropped into the six yard box and was stabbed home from close range by a Wrexham striker to make it 1-3.


Bury continued to spray the ball around their opposition with some stunning passing and close control and settled the game with the final kick of the game.  Anthony Dudley was brought down inside the area and Dudley himself stroked home a confident penalty to make the final score Wrexham 1 Bury 4


Bury:  Barber, Cliffe, Cook, Bickett, Potter, Poscha, Burgess, Dickinson, Dudley, Walker 2, Shaw (Nasseri 11)

Subs:Nasseri, Clews, Wordingham, Kennedy, Gibson

Advertisement block