Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

A Boxing Day Cracker

26 December 2013

Shakers take a point from ten man Scunthorpe

Shakers produce a Boxing Day classic, coming from 0-2 down and after seeing the Iron reduced to ten men, did enough to snatch a point from the game with the final kick of the match

It proved to be an afternoon to forget for Scunthorpe’s Sam Winnall, as he left the JD Stadium with two goals and a one game suspension following two yellow cards, but the Shakers produced some of their best football of the season to get back in the game.  First Chris Sedgwick scored his second in two games before Danny Nardiello latched onto an Anton Forrester through ball to slide it under the keeper and in to the back of the net.

The first chance of the game fell to Scunthorpe's Dave Syers after Eddie Nolan laid him on at Bury's near post. Syers brought the ball down on his chest and drove a strike at Jensen's goal that flew high over the crossbar.

Soon after the Shakers produced their own half chance when he danced past former Shakers loanee Sean McAllister before hitting a shot at goal, his effort though was deflected out for a Bury corner after Ribeiro managed to get a toe on the shot.

Danny Nardiello and Chris Sedgwick combined for another half chance on 11 minutes. Nardiello drove a quick ball from the left corner of the box straight across the face of the Iron's goal towards an advancing Chris Sedgwick, but the pass had too much behind it for Sedgwick to connect with.

Chris Sedgwick came close to taking the Shakers in front on 19 minutes when Shaun Harrad picked him out unmarked deep inside the box. Sedgwick was given just enough time to line up a shot, but he could only look on as his effort skimmed over the bar.

The visitors should have gone in front on 23 minutes, when Terry Hawkridge charged into the Bury box.  He drove a low powerful strike to the right of Brian Jensen, but a quick reaction fingertip save from 'The Beast' knocked the ball onto the post and out for a corner.

Sedgwick stepped up to take a Bury corner soon after, driving it deep into the Iron's box.  A good touch from David Mirfin attempted to clear the ball to safety but the ball fell straight into the path of William Edjenguele who found Shaun Harrad just on the edge of the six yard box, but his shot fell just wide of the mark.

It was the visitors who went in front on 37 minutes when Ribeiro slipped the ball past Edjenguele before driving a good ball into the shakers box, Sam Winnall had the easiest of tasks to side foot the ball across Jensen and into the back of the net from close range.

Goal: Bury 0 Scunthorpe United 1 (Winnall 39)      


The Shakers attempted to claw a goal back before half time with Danny Mayor fizzing a shot into the box, but various deflections killed the pace of the ball before the visitors smashed it clear.  Soon after referee Eltringham brought the first half to a close

Half Time:  Bury 0 Scunthorpe United 1

David Flitcroft made one chance at the break with Richard Hinds replacing Edjenguele.  Soon after the restart, the impressive Winnall stole through into the Shakers box.  As Nathan Cameron got in a strong challenge, the Iron striker went to ground and brought an immediate reaction from the referee, with Winnall shown a quick yellow card for simulation.

Bury were stepping their game up and looked stronger across the park, with Chris Sedgwick terrorising with his skilful raids down the flanks, one such raid on 55 minutes almost got the Shakers back into the game with a good delivery to the far past that evaded both white and orange shirts.

Scunthorpe doubled their lead on 68 minutes when Hawkridge moves his way beyond the Shakers defence before cutting the ball back to Winnall who used a fair degree of power to drive the ball into the back of the Shakers goal.

GOAL: Bury 0 Scunthorpe United 2 (Winnall 68)

Winnall’s celebration though did not go down well with the officials, as the Iron striker was shown a yellow card for celebrating with the visiting supporters.  The second yellow card saw the Iron’s goal scorer heading for an early bath before Bury had restarted the game.

Manager Flitcroft made a large tactical change two minutes later with Gareth Roberts being replaced by Ashley Grimes.  Nathan Cameron moved across to the right with Grimes joining Nardiello and Forrester at the sharp end as the Shakers reverted to plan b and a 3-4-3 formation that was to prove successful minutes later.

In fact it took just six more minutes for Bury to get a finger back into the game.  Another Sedgwick raid down the flank saw him deliver the ball to Ashley Grimes inside the Scunthorpe box, Grimes took one touch and curled a stunning effort towards the top corner of Slocombe’s goal, only for the Iron keeper to somehow stretch and dive to palm the ball away, but only as far as the impressive Sedgwick who gleefully smashed the ball home from an acute angle.

GOAL:  Bury 1 Scunthorpe United 2 (Sedgwick 75)

The goal injected confidence into the Shakers side and both flanks produced raids into the Iron box, but a resolute Iron back 10 – or so it seemed as the Shakers had pushed them that deep, looked comfortable in handling the onslaught from the Shakers.

An appearance from the fourth official produced five minutes of additional time.  With Bury still looking for an equaliser, their fast raids into the Scunthorpe half was being broken down and resulting clearances taking an age as the visitors looked to slow the time down and waste a few seconds.

Suddenly and with literally seconds to go, Anton Forrester collected the ball from Dean Howell on the half way line.  He held the ball before quickly turning and playing a sublime ball over the top for Nardiello o chase.  It became a two way race with the Iron keeper showing some hesitation before he joined the race for the ball.  That hesitation cost him dear as the Shakers on loan striker connected first and slid the ball through his legs and into the back of the net for a very deserved equaliser.

GOAL:  Bury 2 Scunthorpe United 2 (Nardiello 90 +5)

The goal was so late that as soon as the game was restarted, the referee brought the afternoon to a half with the final whistle.  Maybe, just maybe, this result will go a long way into turning a very sharp corner.  The celebrations following the final whistle from a now very noisy JD Stadium were a joy to see – more needed on Sunday please.

Final Score:  Bury 2 Scunthorpe United 2

Sponsors Man of the Match:  Danny Mayor

Gate:  3,277 (477 Visitors)

Advertisement block