Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Bury 2 York City 1

29 December 2013

The final game of the worst calendar year on record for the Shakers brought relief and smiles all round as Bury stormed into a 40 second lead with a sixth goal of the season for a recalled Anton Forrester, whilst Nathan Cameron grabbed his fourth by seizing on a sloppy catch from the York City keeper.  York pulled a goal back deep in the second half but a passing Bury side held on for all three points to raise smiles all round for the new year


David Flitcroft made two changes to the side that claimed a point off Scunthorpe on Boxing Day, with Anton Forrester in place of Shaun Harrad whilst Richard Hinds replaced William Edjenguele.


Shakers got off to a perfect start with the opening goal after just seconds.  Danny Mayor collected the ball from a Sublime Chris Sedgwick pass, before feeding it wide to Danny Nardiello, who flew into the corner before driving a stunning ball into the six yard box where Forrester crashed it into the back of the York goal to leave the visitors somewhat dumbstruck at the speed of the Shakers opening move.


Goal:  Bury 1 York City 0 (Forrester 43 Seconds)


The early goal saw the confidence ooze out of the Bury side and they continued into the opening five minutes with some stunning one touch passing football that carved the visitors open on a number of occasions.  York's only real threat of the opening 20 minutes fell to winger Josh Carson who took a right footed shot from the centre of the box, but it didn't test Brian Jensen with the ball falling wide of the left post.


On 18 minutes, York’s Josh Carson conceded a free kick in Bury's half after an ill-timed challenge on Danny Mayor. Chris Sedgwick stepped up to take the free kick and curled in an accurate delivery into the crowded York box. The ball fell to Danny Nardiello who headed the ball down towards the bottom left hand corner of goal, keeper McCarey looked to have initially held the ball but seemed to lose control and fumbled the effort.  Nathan Cameron who had gone into the box for the free kick saw the fumble and managed to wrestle the ball loose before rolling it over the line to double the Shakers advantage.


Goal: Bury 2 York City 0 (Nathan Cameron 19)


Bury had been causing problems for York on the right wing from the off, and no more so than when Anton Forrester made a quick run up the right wing past his man and laid on a perfect ball to Danny Nardiello inside the Ministermen's six yard box, but the Shakers striker was unable to get his foot fully behind the ball, and flashed his effort just wide of the post.


York's best opportunity of the half fell to Lanre Oyebanjo just 5 minutes before the break, the defender struck a nice right footed effort just inside Bury's box but it failed to trouble Jensen who dealt with the effort comfortably.


Bury had started the game brightly and with a new found confidence, and playing an attractive brand of passing football, were easily breaking down York's midfield and defence almost at will. On the rare occasion that York threatened to push forward Bury's back 3 of Cameron, Howell and Hinds remained solid and resolute.


Half Time: Bury 2 York City 0


The visitors made a double substitution at half time as attempted to make some strides back into the game, but it was the Shakers that had the first chance when the ball fell to Richard Hinds.  A delivery into the box from the impressive Chris Sedgwick saw Hinds head the ball at goal from close range, but narrowly put the chance wide of the upright.


Bury had started the second-half in a much more cautious manner, which led to York's first dominant spell of the game, with the visitors causing Bury some problems and threatening them in the final third. Michael Coulson came close to brining his side back into the game with a well taken right footed shot from the centre of the box, but Jensen was quick to react with a well-executed save in the centre of the goal.


Bury were starting to pick up where they had left off in the first half. Nathan Cameron played a stunning ball through to an advancing Anton Forrester, he made a well-timed run on goal, but he was blocked out by keeper McCarey, but Forrester managed to get a foot back onto the loose ball and struck a right footed shot from close range but it only got as far as the side netting.


Moments later Forrester came close again when he turned on his man inside the box and made room for a powerful right footed strike but it had a little too much behind it sending the ball just over the bar.


Despite the Shakers upping their tempo again later in the half, York had continued to push for a goal to bring them into the game and in the 72 minute their efforts paid off when substitute Michael Coulson's close range right footed shoot sailed into the bottom left hand corner of Bury's goal.


Goal Bury 2 York City 1 (Coulson 73)


Chris Sedgwick was given the opportunity to seal the deal for the Shakers after Ashley Grimes was felled, giving the Shakers a free kick from a good position.  Sedgwick curled a right footed shot from outside of the box but it was just a little too high and flashed onto the roof of the net.


The final chance of the game fell to Shaun Harrad.  Following another stunning passing move from the Shakers, Nardiello slipped the ball through for Harrad to chase.  Keeper McCarey read the situation and the race for the ball was just won by a hairs width by Harrad, but he was unable to divert the ball on target, and just flashed the ball wide of the post.


The final whistle saw the JD Stadium erupt in delight and relief as the Shakers claimed their first win since Hartlepool at home on 26th November.  It wasn't just the well-earned 3 points that the Shakers fans were delighted with it was also sight of Flitcroft's new methods and a more relaxed and attractive style of play coming into fruition.


Final Score:  Bury 2 York City 1


Sponsors Man of the Match: Richard Hinds


Gate: 3,706 (925 visitors)

Advertisement block