Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Cambridge United 2 Bury 1

3 December 2013

Two Luke Berry goals, either side of a crisp Shaun Harrad header, were enough to put the Shakers out of the FA Cup after a tense affair at Cambridge United on Tuesday evening. 


Ronnie Jepson was forced into making changes for this FA Cup with Budweiser 1st Round Replay.  With Danny Nardiello and Scott Harrison both not being registered for the original game – neither could take part in this game at the R Costings Stadium.  To further complicate matters, Shaun Beeley’s knee injury saw the on loan Fleetwood defender left up North with Nathan Cameron reverting to right back allowing Richard Hinds to step in at centre half.

Bury carved out the first chance of the game with Andy Procter shooting from distance, the ball deflected kindly for Shaun Harrad but a good challenge from the home defence pushed the ball clear as Harrad pulled the trigger.  Moments later Cambridge came forward at pace and a good challenge from Cameron pushed the ball away for a home corner.  Dunks delivery along the floor eventually fell to Hughes and he blazed the ball high over the bar from the edge of the area.

A lofted ball into the box on 5 minutes from Dean Howell saw the home defence head clear – straight to the feet of Danny Hylton inside the area, but his first time shot cannoned off the same defender and away to safety.

A late Tom Soares challenge on Berry on nine minutes handed Cambridge on free kick, Tait’s delivery was cleared with a strong header from Edjenguele on the six yard line but possession was quickly conceded with another free kick towards the half way line that the Shakers defence again dealt with ease.

Bury carved out a half chance on 17 minute with a Brian Jensen goal kick.  Shaun Harrad won the ball with a strong header wide to Sedgwick and his delivery back into the box saw Harrad head the ball towards goal, but high over the cross bar.

Cambridge spurned a good chance on 19 minutes when Appiah burst through the Shakers defence, but after doing all the good work, the striker fired the ball high over the bar from close range.  Another free kick to the home side a minute later, following a heavy challenge from Tom Soares saw the home side deliver the ball into the box.  Jensen rushed off his line to punch clear but failed to connect, with the ball lobbed over him towards goal, Edjenguele managed to get the ball away and up the field.

Bury had another half chance on 34 minutes when Nathan Cameron swept a half clearance into the Cambridge box.  Danny Hylton rose to connect with the ball but directed the effort high and wide of the upright.

Richard Hinds, already on a yellow card, had a free kick awarded against him on 41 minutes after bringing down Cunnington on the edge of the Bury box.  From the resulting free kick, Hughes powered the ball through the Bury wall and out of play, but following a deflection off Shaun Harrad, out for a corner.

Another looping cross from Nathan Cameron on 44 minutes saw Craig Jones out-jump the Cambridge centre half and keeper to head the ball towards goal, but with the effort lacking power the home defence managed to clear the ball before it approached the goal line.  Moments later Danny Hylton did virtually the same and with the keeper seemingly losing sight of the ball his covering defenders managed to smash he ball clear from Hylton’s header as it approached the line.

Half Time:  Cambridge United 0 Bury 0

A 50th minute Bury free kick saw Sedgwick deliver the ball into the box, Hylton flicked the ball on but the home defence managed to get to the second ball and clear, that clearance brought a high challenge from Tom Soares which the referee deemed as illegal and awarded a free kick to Cambridge and a yellow card for Tom Soares for his reaction.  Seconds later another challenge from Soares brought a stiff talking to form the official for another late challenge.

Another Bury free kick on 56 minutes, following a push on the back of Danny Hylton, saw Chris Sedgwick’s delivery easily dealt with by the home defence. 

Cambridge should have done better on the hour when Appian burst through the Bury back four, he cut the ball across the box that the Shakers defence half cleared, but the home side cleverly worked the ball back into the box for Luke Berry to smash beyond Jensen for the opening goal.

Goal: Cambridge United 1 Bury 0 (Berry 61)

The lead lasted just one minute as Bury got back into the game when good work from Andy Procter in the corner found the head of Shaun Harrad, his bullet header had Maxwell beaten from the moment it arrived on his head as his header found the back of the net

Goal:  Cambridge United 1 Bury 1 (Harrad 63)

A 66th Minute Cambridge corner from Tait sailed across the Bury box to find the head of Berry, but his powerful header flew straight at Brian Jensen

Bury should have taken the lead on 69 minutes when Procter floated an excellent ball towards the back post.  A clever dummy from Hylton allowed a free header from Craig Jones, but he failed to hit the target and his chance zipped into the side netting.

Another excellent chance came Bury’s way on 72 minutes, a clever run into the box from Jones saw him deliver the ball to the head of Hylton, and his strong connection saw the ball come back into play off the crossbar.  Cambridge managed to half clear before Harrad took a long swing at the ball in the box but could only put the chance wide of the target.

Craig Jones got to the by-line again on 77 minutes and delivered another excellent hanging cross. But the referee’s whistle blew again as Hylton rose to meet the ball for a push on his covering defender.

Cambridge went back in front with five minutes of the game remaining; a Tait corner was met by the simplest of headers from Luke Berry, who had managed to leave Tom Soares, as he charged across Jensen to head home from close range.

Goal:  Cambridge United 2 Bury 1 (Berry 85)

Euan Holden had the Shakers last chance with a long range drive that zipped through the home defence, but straight at keeper Maxwell.

Four minutes of additional time were played out with neither side managing to test either keeper, but it was the home side that progressed to Sunday’s televised meeting with Sheffield United.

Final Score:  Cambridge United 2 Bury 1

Gate:  3,342 (105)

Advertisement block