Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Shakers slump in Devon

22 December 2013

Shakers go down at Home Park despite Sedgwick stunner

Bury slipped into the relegation zone in SkyBet League Two on Saturday afternoon after their 2-1 defeat at Home Park against Plymouth Argyle.



David Flitcroft made two changes to the team that started against Northampton with Danny Mayor and Andy Procter coming in for Shaun Harrad and Tom Soares.


The Shakers started the first half positively and created a half chance in the opening five minutes when the ball fell to Andy Procter on the edge of the area but he dragged his shot wide.


Brian Jensen was then called into action three minutes later as he first denied Lewis Alessandra before making a fantastic reaction save to deny Caolan Lavery from the resulting corner.


It wasn’t long before Lavery was in action again as he scored the opening goal of the game in the 10th minute. Luke Young played a long ball down the left hand side for him to chase after and he got there ahead of William Edjenguele. Lavery then brought the ball inside and fired in at the near post to give the Pilgrims the lead.


GOAL: Plymouth 1-0 Bury (Caolan Lavery 10)


Bury responded well to Plymouth’s goal and had a shot cleared after the line shortly after going behind. Plymouth attempted to get the ball clear but it fell to Procter on the edge again and his driven shot was cleared off the line by former Rochdale defender Neal Trotman.


Plymouth’s goalscorer Lavery then made a complete mess of a free header at the back post as he headed wide after Lewis Alessandra got to the byline and whipped in a cross.


Danny Mayor, who was making his first start since the 19th November, started to get involved in the game a lot more as the first half progressed and fired into the side netting from a Craig Jones cross in the 30th minute.


The Shakers were then forced into an early substitution as Marco Navas replaced Shaun Beeley, who looked to be suffering from a hamstring injury, at right back.


Mayor then found himself involved in two chances in three minutes. First he played a dangerous ball into the box which Luke McCormick spilled but the ball couldn’t fall to a Bury player and Plymouth cleared the danger.


He then had a goalscoring opportunity himself as Chris Sedgwick picked him out with a superbly weighted reverse pass. Mayor found himself one on one with McCormick but the goalkeeper stood tall and palmed his effort out for a corner.


Similar to the first half, Bury started the second half by creating a chance in the opening minutes. Danny Nardiello received the ball on the left hand side of the area and eventually made space for himself before seeing his low shot cannon back off the post.


The following minute, Bury were back on level terms after Chris Sedgwick scored from 25 yards. Craig Jones gave the ball to Sedgwick and he took one touch before seeing McCormick off his line and floating the ball into the top corner to give the 160 travelling Bury fans something to cheer.


GOAL: Plymouth 1-1 Bury (Chris Sedgwick 49)


Anton Forrester replaced Danny Nardiello in the 62nd minute as David Flitcroft looked to freshen up his front line and Forrester linked up well with Sedgwick but his shot from inside the area was straight at Luke McCormick.


Bury’s third and final sub came in the 66th minute when Shaun Harrad was brought on to replace Andy Procter as Bury changed formation to go to a standard 4-4-2.


Four minutes after that change, Craig Jones stayed down following a heavy challenge and a signal was made to the bench to take him off. Jones tried to run it off but was brought off by David Flitcroft to avoid any further injury and Bury had to play the last 20 minutes with ten men.


Plymouth got their winner thirteen minutes from time after Bury failed to clear their ranks. A diagonal ball was sent over to Lewis Alessandra, he brought it under control and took it to the edge of the box before sending a low ball into the six yard area for Reuben Reid to tap home.


GOAL: Plymouth 2-1 Bury (Reuben Reid 77)


After Plymouth’s second goal, Bury kept hold of possession very well but, with a man less than Plymouth, struggled to find the killer pass and the Pilgrims saw out the remaining time and five added minutes to send the Shakers back North with nothing to show for their efforts.


The result means that Bury now slip into the relegation zone after Torquay beat Dagenham & Redbridge and Accrington scored a 90th minute winner against Mansfield Town.


Bury team: Jensen, Beeley (Navas 33), Cameron, Edjenguele, Howell, Sedgwick, Procter (Harrad 66), Miller, Mayor, Jones, Nardiello (Forrester 62)

Advertisement block