Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth: Burnley 2 - Bury 1

10 December 2013

Shakers concede two penalties in poor playing conditions against local rivals Burnley...

In wet, blistery conditions the Shakers travelled to face local rivals Burnley in a friendly. 

The game started well with both sides playing some good football on the soft wet pitch, with the ball moving quickly on a slippery surface making the timing of challenges essential.
Burnley’s first venture into Bury’s 18yd box on the 8th minute highlighted this point when Joe Brown opted to go to ground when challenging for the ball and as a result conceded a penalty. The ball was struck firmly into the bottom right hand corner of Bury’s goal giving the Clarets an early advantage.

8 minutes: Burnley 1 – Bury 0

The majority of the first-half was a frustrating affair with the wind being a major factor, sailing the ball out of play frequently, but both teams persisted in trying to play a quick passing game with chances being created at both ends of the pitch. 

Henry Wordingham and Connor Willis came close to bringing the Shaker’s level, forcing two good saves from Burnley’s keeper.

Eventually Bury brought the tie level in 44th minute when in a crowded Burnley 18yd box Connor Willis had a shot deflected wrong footing the keeper with the ball ending up in the back of the net.

44 minutes: Burnley 1 – Bury 1

Half time: Burnley 1 - Bury 1

With the match being a friendly both teams had a choice of using 5 subs. Bury made 3 subs at the break bringing on fresh legs for the second -half. This had an immediate effect on the game with Bury taking the play to Burnley and playing long periods of time in the Clarets’ half.

After a clever phase of play, Scott Burgess unleashed a 25yd left foot effort which hit the Burnley woodwork leaving the keeper rooted to the spot.

Bury were pushing for the winner in the second-half with Regan Walker, Anthony Dudley and Brayden Shaw all having shots on target but they were evaded by Burnley’s keeper.

But on in the 75th minute Burnley hit the young Shaker’s on the break down the left flank. The Clarets winger cut inside Bury’s 18yd box which forced a clumsy challenge from Matty Cook, which led to Burnley’s second penalty of the game, from which Burnley capitalised to bring the game to 2-1.

75 minutes: Burnley 1 – Bury 1 

Burnley were once again penned into their own half straight from the kick-off and were put under pressure for the remainder of the game but the Shaker’s failed  to capitalise on their dominance in possession.

Full time: Burnley 2 - Bury 1

Advertisement block