Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth: Bury 1 - Rochdale 3

11 December 2013

The youth team suffered a second defeat in a week as they dropped out of this year’s Lancashire F.A Youth Cup at the hands of local rivals Rochdale.

After a magnificent win over Wigan Athletic in the previous round the young Shakers went into this tie confident of progressing even further in the competition.


The match was somewhat cagey to begin with as both teams looked to feel their way into the tie, this was the first time the two teams had met this season. Most of the action was in midfield and although both teams made forays in to the other team’s penalty box there was a distinct lack of quality in the final execution. Brayden Shaw came closest for Bury in the opening minutes with a free kick that flashed just past the post.

As the first half wore on and the teams settled there was more of a cup tie feel to the game. Bury right back Matty Cook started to venture forward and a couple of dangerous crosses tested the Rochdale rearguard for the first time.

The pressure was building as Bury started to play higher up the pitch, Marcus Poscha ghosted in at the back post on 27 minutes to meet a cross from the left only to steer the ball agonisingly wide.

As the first half came to a close Rochdale began to look stronger as the battle in the middle of the pitch began to ignite. Bury were lucky to stay level as a Jonathan Barber save landed at the feet of an on rushing Rochdale midfielder, only for his shot to sail over the bar.

HALF TIME: Bury 0 - Rochdale 0

The second half began at a high tempo with both teams aware of the semi final berth at stake. Bury’s three pronged front line continued to probe and look for the opportunity but the service forward was lacking as Rochdale’s powerful midfield began to stamp their authority.

A short free kick on the edge of the Bury penalty area was played out to the left and a searching cross found an unmarked Rochdale forward who comfortably headed in to the bottom corner.

51 minutes: Bury 0-1 Rochdale

Navid Nasseri entered the field for Bury as the Shakers searched for a solution to Rochdale’s midfield dominance.

Bury’s defence were taking constant pressure and struggling to get out of their half due to a lack of quality and composure in possession. It was not long until the Shaker’s defence was breached again, Rochdale’s centre forward brought down in the box and the resulting penalty was blasted home to see Dale double their lead.

63 minutes: Bury 0-2 Rochdale

Rochdale looked comfortable at this point as the Shakers struggled to make any impact in the final third. A header from Jake Cliffe on 80 minutes was a rare chance. It was Rochdale however who scored the next goal, a 25 yard effort from Callum Camps who had tormented Bury’s midfield all afternoon catching Jonathan Barber off guard.

85 minutes: Bury 0-3 Rochdale

The Shakers began to pile forward in numbers in the dying minutes of the game and exert some pressure on Rochdale’s back four for the first time in the second half. This last ditch effort paid off somewhat, a short goal kick was cut out by Nasseri who chipped the goal keeper to reduce the arrears for Bury.

90 minutes: Bury 1-3 Rochdale

It was too little, too late though for the Shakers who exit the competition and see Rochdale march through to the Semi Finals.

Advertisement block