Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Shakers soar with Soares

9 February 2013

A Tom Soares stunner and a Nicky AJose header bring a point home

Kevin Blackwell named an unchanged side, and added David Worrall to the bench to increase numbers available to six.
Bury started the game the brighter of the two sides, and quickly earnt themselves an early corner.  The delivery from Skarz though brought a good clean punch from keeper Simon Moore. Moments later a Moore clearance rebounded of one of his own players, Bishop saw a half chance but couldn’t get into position to force the effort at goal.
Former Oldham loanee Tom Adeyemi had Brentford’s first chance soon after when he flashed a header at the Bury goal, but his chance drifted wide of the target.
Marcello Trotta burst into the Bury box on eight minutes, the challenge from Zubar did move the ball and you have to credit Trotta because the player could have gone down, but Bury did get the ball clear and away from danger.
Brentford carved another chance out moments later with Trotta and Forshaw combining well, the ball into the box was eventually dealt with by the Shakers back four and quickly got the ball moving forward through the midfield.
Trotta again caused problems on 12 minutes when he received a cross from Bidwell, Trotta fired the ball at goal on his first touch, but thankfully smashed the ball into the back of Stephane Zubar, before Skarz cleared the ball up field.  Adam Forshaw had the next chance for the home side but blazed his effort high over the bar on 15 minutes.
A sign of frustration from the home supporters as another Brentford raid down the left from Forrester is well dealt with by the Shakers defence on 20 minutes.  A rare move forward involving Tom Soares, Nicky Ajose and Zac Thompson saw the on loan Leeds player fire the ball at goal, but his effort drifted wide of the Brentford post.
Harry Forrester produced a good surging run for the Bees on 26 minutes, but his run was superbly stopped by a challenge from Schumacher, allowing the Bury back four to mop up the loose ball.
Brentford won a corner on the half hour, following a headed clearance from Eastham.  Forshaw’s delivery was quickly cleared by Ajose, but the clearance lacked distance and Adeyemi fired the ball wide of the Bury goal, with Carson scrambling across his six yard area to cover.  Moments later Trotta found himself in space in the box, but to the delight of the travelling Bury fans, volleyed the ball high over the Bury bar.
Harry Forrester produced another run forward on 35 minutes but Ebanks-Landell produced another great challenge to thwart the Brentford player, allowing the Shakers to clear the ball down the field.  Moments later, a clash of heads between Andy Bishop and Harlee Dean saw the Shakers striker laid out before the referee stopped the game.  Bishop eventually sprang to his feet and got on with the game.
Brentford again attempted to get the ball forward with Logan and Forrester causing problems, but could not find a way past the Bury back four.  A quick clearance from Eastham on 40 minutes saw Ajose chase, but the home defence win the race to clear any danger.
Just before the break, Bury carved themselves out a quarter of a chance when Ajose attempted to slip the ball forward for Bishop, but the pass was slightly off target and Logan cleared quick and hard down the field.  Donaldson latched onto the loose ball but was unable to find the target with a cross come shot that drifted out of play.
Half time:  Brentford 0 Bury 0
Neither side made any changes at the break, and it was the Shakers that got the second period underway with Zubar playing a poor ball and conceding possession, though again the back four quickly dealt with any move forward from the home side.  Ethan Ebanks-Landell collected a yellow card soon after following a heavy challenge on Adeyemi. 
Brentford eventually took the lead following a high ball into the box from Logan, Forrester got his head onto the ball and sent it across Carson into the back of the net
Goal:  Brentford 1 Bury 0 (Forrester 52)
Brentford broke again on 56 minutes with Forrester, but a stunning challenge from Zubar saw the ball cleared away for a throw.  From that throw, Eastham rose above Donaldson to head the ball away for a home corner.  The delivery to Donaldson saw some trickery from Clayton Donaldson, but his effort was well held by Trevor Carson.
Moments later, a Steven Schumacher free kick from a long way out, brought a good save from Simon Moore, Thompson chipped the ball back into the box but a foul from Soares killed the move dead.
Another Schumacher free kick minutes later brought a delivery into the Brentford box, with the travelling supporters claiming a handball and penalty, Brentford got the ball away for a Bury throw.  Regan’s throw was simply smashed down the field by the home side and away from danger.
A Brentford free kick on the hour, following a Joe Skarz challenge, saw Forshaw deliver the ball into the Bury box.  Stephane Zubar rose above Harlee Deen to clear the ball of a Brentford player and away for a Bury throw.
Five minutes later Bury got back into the game, a stunning through ball from Schumacher found Tom Soares.  With only the keeper to beat, Soares smashed the ball home on the half volley for his first Bury goal.
Goal:  Brentford 1 Bury 1 (Soares 65)
Brentford retook the lead three minutes later.  A well driven shot on goal from Adeyemi, following a corner, brought a stunning save from Carson, but the ball fell kindly to Trotta who fired home from close range
Goal:  Brentford 2 Bury 1 (Trotta 68)
Kevin Blackwell made his first change of the afternoon soon after with Worrall replacing Ebanks-Landell and the change had an immediate affect with Nicky Ajose rising high to meet a Tom Soares cross to head home and put the Shakers back into the game
Goal:  Brentford 2 Bury 2 (Ajose 76)
Bury’s game suddenly brightened up and only a lack of a better pass prevented Andy Bishop from stealing in for a chance on goal.  Brentford also took Logan off after a torrid second half against Tom Soares.
With the home side showing some signs of frustration, Trevor Carson fired a Bury free kick forward but Deen cleared with a well-timed header as Bishop rose to meet the ball.
A Brentford free kick just inside the Bury half was chipped into the Bury box, but easily dealt with by Ashley Eatsham before Soares smashed it away and up the field.  Andy Bishop chased the ball but Harlee Deen held him off and cleared.
Finally, after three minutes of injury time, and with a well earnt point, the Shaker left the capital heading north with the unbeaten run now stretched to four games
Final Score:  Brentford 2 Bury 2
Bury:  Trevor Carson, Joe Skarz, Ashley Eastham, Steven Schumacher (c), Andy Bishop, Nicky Ajose, Carl Regan, Stephane Zubar, Zac Thompson, Ethan Ebanks-Landell, Tom Soares
Substitutes:  Cameron Belford, Craig Jones, Mark Carrington, David Healy, David Worrall, Sebastien Carole.
Brentford:  Simon Moore; Shaleum Logan, Harlee Dean, Tony Craig, Jake Bidwell; Jonathan Douglas, Tom Adeyemi; Clayton Donaldson, Adam Forshaw, Harry Forrester; Marcello Trotta
Substitutes:  Richard Lee, Lee Hodson, Rob Kiernan, Scott Barron, Sam Saunders, Toumani Diagouraga, Paul Hayes

Advertisement block