Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Swindon 0 Bury 1

26 February 2013

Swindon Town 0 Bury 1

Kevin Blackwell made two changes to the side at Swindon Town with Craig Fagan getting a full debut replacing an ill Andy Bishop.  David Worrall dropped back to right back with Carl Regan dropping to the bench with Mark Carrington slotting into midfield.  The shakers received a good omen for the night as both teams came out to the sound of Elbow – Bury’s second best export…

Bury won a quick throw after a strange kick clear from Wesley Foderingham, though the home side were quick to clear the Bury throw.   A third minute McEveley cross tested the Shakers back line, but with Collins off the pace, Trevor Carson collected the ball comfortably.

Bury showed some promise on seven minutes when Tom Soares floated a good ball to Nicky Ajose, his first touch brought down the ball and as he was about to pull the trigger, McEveley managed to knock it out for a Bury corner.

A De Vita cross on ten minutes again tested the Shakers defence, but a good headed clearance from Ashley Eastham had the ball clear quickly.  Swindon came forward again with Navarro but a good interception from Carrington had the ball away for a Reds throw on the half way line.  The throw when it did come, went straight out for a Bury goal kick.

Bury won a free kick on 12 minutes when Roberts brought down Nicky Ajose half way inside the Bury half.  Both referee and linesman awarded the free kick.  The delivery from Ebanks-Landell was quickly dealt with by the home side and cleared.  A Williams cross minutes later, following a foul by Schumacher, saw Eastham rise to head the ball out for a home corner, but again the Bury defence cleared the danger from the delivery.

Bury came forward again on 16 minutes with Schumacher finding Nicky Ajose, his quick shot on goal was blocked by the home defence, but David Worrall followed up on the edge of the box and fired a shot just wide of the target.

Bury took the lead on 21 minutes with Soares finding Joe Skarz, who flew down the wing on an overlapping run, his ball into the box found the Shakers skipper and he had the easiest job is side footing the ball home from close range to score his 25th Bury goal.

GOAL: Swindon Town 0 Bury 1 (Schumacher 21)

Bury got their passing football going again on 24 minutes with the lads spraying the ball across the pitch, but a wayward pass from the back saw the home side clear.  Moments later a cross from Ebanks-Landell into the box had Fagan stretching, he just couldn’t stretch to connect and Swindon cleared quickly.

A 32nd minute counter attack from Bury saw them move the ball quickly to Craig Fagan, his ball into the box looking for a charging David Worrall was just pushed away from the Bury player.  Swindon moved the ball quickly with Williams bearing down on goal but Ebanks-Landell produced a stunning block to deny him with the home fans baying for a penalty, but the officials waved away any such protest.

A Swindon corner on 39 minutes, following an Eastham headed clearance, brought a very deep delivery that the Shakers easily dealt with.  The ball eventually fell to Nicky Ajose playing deep into the Bury half and his clearance brought a loud sign of frustration from the home fans.

Another home corner a minute later was again delivered into the box, as the ball came in Aden Flint rose superbly, but could only head the ball over the Shakers bar.

A Carrington cross into the box on 44 minutes saw McEveley head the ball clear, as Flint chased the loose ball, a challenge from Tom Soares was deemed to be unfair and the home side were awarded a free kick.  Bury cleared again through Landell and he just managed to get the ball to Ajose who looked to move the ball forward quickly.

Half Time:  Swindon Town 0 Bury 1

Neither side made any changes at the break, and as expected Swindon came at Bury quickly with the Shakers defence holding firm.  A cross into the box seemed to skim the head of Tom Soares and it flew away for a Swindon corner.  The delivery from Miller was again too deep for his team-mates and Bury allowed the ball to roll out for a Bury goal kick.

Bury broke down another Swindon attack on 53 minutes by taking the ball from Navarro and passing through midfield to defence to Carson.

A good challenge from Steven Schumacher won the ball from the feet  of Swindon’s McCormack, but his second touch wasn’t the best and the home side regained possession, though not for long following an excellent challenge from Skarz on Navarro.

The home side continued to apply pressure to the Shakers back four, but thus far kept the home side out.  A long clearance from Joe Skarz found Craig Fagan, the Shakers debutant held the ball well and won a free kick in the Swindon corner.    The free kick was well dealt with by the home defence and again they looked to break the Shakers down by moving it forward quickly.

Swindon were throwing plenty of high balls into the Bury box, but the two centre halves for the Shakers were dealing with all that came there way.  With the knowledge of what happened on Friday night at Notts County fresh in their minds, the lads seemed to be holding firm.

Joe Skarz received a yellow card after he took an age to take a throw deep in their own half.  Moments later, a challenge from Skarz on Roberts had hearts in mouth as the referee took a good look at the challenge.  Thankfully he received a talking too from the official and the Swindon free kick.  Again the Shakers dealt with the delivery and cleared.

Good play from Swindon on 67 minutes saw De Vita deliver the ball into the box, Eastham initially cleared but the ball came back quickly and deflected off David Worrall for a Swindon corner.  Adam Rooney came on to replace De Vita before the Reds took the corner.   Miller’s delivery brought a good header from Roberts but Ebanks-Landell and Carrington combined to get the ball away and win a Bury throw.

Tom Soares received a yellow card following a reckless challenge on 71 minutes, the free kick when delivered though saw a header come through a packed penalty area and high over the bar.  With the home crowd getting restless and Carson still to be tested, the Shakers remained strong at the back.  Another Rooney came on for Roberts for Swindon, to the delight of the home fans. 

A Bury 77th minute free kick was taken by Trevor Carson, his ball found Craig Fagan but his header couldn’t find Carrington and Swindon cleared down the field quickly.  Swindon broke quickly on 78 minutes but a rash challenge from Carrington brought another yellow card. 

The dangerous free kick brought an attempt on goal from Luke Rooney but Trevor Carson was more than a match for the shot and held the ball easily.

Kevin Blackwell made a double substitution on 81 minutes with Craig Jones replacing Tom Soares and Jonson Clarke-Harris replacing Fagan.  Moments later Trevor Carson made his first serious save of the game by saving from Collins, the header came in from point blank range.

Clarke-Harris was booked for needlessly kicking the ball away after Swindon won a free kick.  Carson again saved the ball as it dropped into the box.  Soon after, Craig Jones gave another free kick and was again booked for the challenge.  The free kick dropped into the Bury box and Eastham was quick to head clear for a Swindon corner.

Bury moved the ball forward through Ajose on 85 minutes, with Clarke Harris showing some pace, but his final ball to Clarke-Harris was pushed clear.  Nerves amongst the 95 travelling supporters were at the point of collapsing.

The fourth official added to frustrations by adding five minutes injury time to the game and a Bury free kick taken by Steven Schumacher saw the home keeper tip the ball away for a Bury corner.

Trevor Carson came to meet a ball and unbelievably the ball rolled under neath him, thankfully Luke Rooney’s poked effort flew into the side netting.  A Swindon corner deep in injury time was poorly delivered and quickly cleared by the Shakers.  A challenge from Worrall cleared the ball out for a throw before Bury won a goal kick and managed to slow the game down.

Finally with the nightmare of Friday cast aside and Ashley Eastham named the Shakers Player man of the match, three points were collected for a vital away win for Bury.

Final Score:  Swindon Town 0 Bury 1

Gate:  7,508 (95 Away fans)


Advertisement block