Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Bury 1 Blackpool 1

24 July 2013

A typical pre-season game ends all square at Gigg Lane

Both sides fielded strong sides on a hot and sticky evening at Gigg Lane, and with lots of talent on show the game proved to be a good challenge for both sides with a fairly well contested game.


In the 3rd minute the first chance fell to Bury, A clever footwork on the outside the area between Anton Forrester and Shaun Harrad saw the ball loop in front of Harrad, but his volley on goal from just outside the area flew straight and narrow, but just inches over the bar.


After ten minutes Harrad was handed almost an identical ball, but once again he hit it sweetly only to see it rise far over the bar.


A 15th minute Blackpool free kick just outside the Bury area saw Caton hit the ball with power, only to see it hit the wall and slowly drift out for a Blackpool corner.


Blackpool had plenty of chances but with no reward.  Good efforts from former Bury Centre of Excellence player Nathan Eccleston and Robert Grant all went wide as Blackpool started to pile on the pressure.


Blackpool should have opened the scoring on 39 minutes, the ball was played forward to Grant and his first time shot, with power and accuracy, brought a good stop from Trevor Carson, but he could only parry the effort.  The ball landed directly in front of Eccleston who somehow missed the gaping goal with a diving header.


Bury started to get back into the game just before half time, Craig Jones left the Blackpool left back trailing and whipped in a stunning cross for Shaun Harrad, however with Harrad stretching to get the ball, his connection could not transfer the power and the ball looped gently into the arms of former Rochdale keeper Matt Gilks.


Half Time:  Bury 0 Blackpool 0


Kevin Blackwell made one half time change with keeper Rob Lainton replacing Trevor Carson.  Almost straight from kick off Bury won a free kick to the left off the box.  Craig Jones hit the ball into the middle, but Harrad could only loop the ball high in the air which was easily collected by Gilks.


Blackpool won a corner soon after, Grant’s delivery into the area was one of perfection for Kirk Broadfoot and his bullet header from just off the six yard line flashed beyond Lainton for the opening goal.


GOAL: Bury 0 Blackpool 1 (Broadfoot 54)


After the goal Blackpool stepped up their tempo slightly and the Bury defence coped very well with a five minute spell of pressure.  The usual raft of pre-season changes started on 60 minutes and all but slowed the game further.  Chances were at a minimum for both sides with the constant swapping of players from both dugouts.


A Bury free kick on 71 minutes saw the ball was placed around 25 yards from goal.  Tom Soares stepped up for the kick but his placed effort could not get past the Blackpool wall and zipped away for another Bury corner.


The Rooney chants began to ring around the stands just before the final whistle as Euan Holden broke free in the box, he took the ball deep and somehow managed to cut the ball across the six yard box where John Rooney did enough to slide the ball across Gilks and into the opposite corner of the goal.


GOAL:  Bury 1 Blackpool 1 (Rooney 87)


The atmosphere started to pick up as the Bury fans believed that the shakers could possibly seal the win in their final pre-season game and as Bury pushed for a referee Salisbury decided that a pre-season game did not warrant additional time and brought the evening to a close.


Full time: Bury 1 Blackpool 1


Attendance:  1,208 (237 visitors)

Advertisement block