Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Wadebridge Town 1 Bury 7

18 July 2013

Shakers grab another seven goals - 22 goals in two games

Shakers mini tour of Cornwall finished with another resounding win and another hat full of goals – though not as many as Tuesday’s 15-0 win over St Blazey.



Bury made six changes to the team that faced St Blazey on Tuesday with Rob Lainton, Gareth Roberts, Craig Jones, Euan Holden, Ashley Grimes and Shaun Harrad coming into the team.


Unlike the St Blazey game, it was a slow start with few chances created. Craig Jones had the best chance of the opening period but his unmarked header was high over the bar.


Bury had the ball in the net in the 24th minute through Ashley Grimes but the former Rochdale striker was ruled offside.


Wadebridge Town took a surprising lead three minutes later from a deep corner. Giles Reynolds arrived late at the back post and powered a header past Rob Lainton.


Ashley Grimes got Bury back on level terms ten minutes later following a flowing Bury move. Craig Jones came in off the right wing and played the ball to Euan Holden. Holden played a first time pass to Grimes, who took one touch to take the ball past the defender and then slotted it through the goalkeeper's legs.


Kevin Blackwell made no changes to the team at half time and Bury made a brighter start.


They took the lead in the 50th minute from a deep Jamie Lowry cross. Shaun Harrad brought it down on his chest and turned his man on the edge of the area before calming slotting home.


Wadebridge Town nearly had an equaliser from the next phase of play but the effort was ruled offside by the linesman on the far side.


The Shakers extended their lead in the next minute after good work by Aidan Chippendale on the left side. He sent a low cross across the face of goal which allowed Grimes to tap in at the back post.


Bury were starting to take a hold on the game now and had a few chances to score a fourth. Craig Jones was denied with a good save and then the rebound was put wide by Chippendale.


The fourth goal did come in the 70th minute though with Mark Randall getting on the scoresheet. His late run was timed perfectly and he met Jones's cross with a right footed effort which nestled in the bottom corner.


As the full time whistle approached, three goals flew in for the Shakers. First was Aidan Chippendale's goal as he curled an effort round the defender to score the fifth.


From the kick off, Euan Holden dispossessed the centre back and then rounded the substitute goalkeeper to make the score line 6-1.


The last goal of the game was scored by Craig Jones in the 87th minute after some fantastic footwork from Ashley Grimes. He used fast feet and few touches to get through three defenders before getting a shot away.


His shot was parried by the goalkeeper right into the path of Jones who had an easy tap in for seven.


The full time whistle followed shortly after that and ended Bury's pre-season games in Cornwall. Both were good performances and the team achieved what they wanted out of it - fitness.


Bury team: Lainton, Roberts, Hinds, Cameron, Lowry (trialist), Jones, Randall (trialist), Holden, Chippendale (trialist), Harrad, Grimes


Bury scorers: Grimes x2, Harrad, Jones, Randall, Holden, Chippendale


By Michael Henson

Advertisement block