Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Portsmouth v Bury

9 March 2013

SHakers hit rock bottom

Bury’s first trip to the South Coast this season looked to be on track for a decent result at half time, but a second half collapse brought a two goal defeat and a further slide down the table to rock bottom.
The match began with Bury looking bright, zipping balls about for fun, forcing mistakes from Portsmouth and generally looking slick, tidy and hungry – unfortunately during the spell on top of the game, we failed to test the keeper, though plenty of chances were not converted.

A fourth minute Bury free kick looked set for a Schumacher smash, but the Shakers over complicated the free kick with a tap from Skarz to Thompson, he stopped the ball and left it for Schumacher to smash – however, the time it took for the messing around with the ball allowed a defender to charge out of the Portsmouth wall to block any shot from Schumacher.

Bury had another chance on eight minutes, this time Craig Fagan doing well.  He received the ball on the corner of the box after some excellent work from Craig Jones.  One touch saw Fagan quickly turn with the ball to face the Pompey goal, his next touch took it past his covering defender and made the space to take the shot – however, when it did come, the shot lacked power and was safely held by keeper Eastwood.

Another chance fell to Fagan on 12 minutes, a good ball into the box from Worrall out wide again found the former Hull striker, though this time he managed to find the shot from close range, though he connected firmly with the ball, it flew harmlessly high over the bar from just inside the six yard box.

The next chance came from good work by David Worrall some five minutes later.  Receiving a quick pass from Fagan, Worrall took the ball past Moutaouakil and drove at goal from the corner of the Pompey box, though his effort drifted away from goal and harmlessly out of play.

Portsmouth’s resulting goal kick was quickly moved forward by the Shakers and eventually Schumacher collected the ball on the edge of the Portsmouth area, following one quick touch, he drove the ball at goal, though again, it flew high over the bar and into safety.

A 21st minute free kick for the Shakers brought the next chance,  Zac Thompson’s delivery into the box brought a good spring from Craig Jones, who got some good height into his jump and connected with a good solid header, however the chance was powered wide of the target.

More good football from Bury came on 26 minutes with a good passing move that involved just about the entire midfield and Craig Fagan.  It was Fagan who slipped the ball to Thompson just outside the box to Thompson, and although his shot had both power and pace, it was aimed straight at keeper Eastwood and allowed him to hold the ball comfortably.

A 30th minute Bury corner saw Skarz’s delivery cleared to Mark Carrington just inside the home box, but as with previous chances, his shot flew high over the Portsmouth cross bar and into safety.  Moments later another good flowing move from the Shakers saw the Pompey defence cut apart.  Worrall and Jones looked to be thriving from their time on the ball, but a foul by Craig Jones halted the momentum and allowed the home side to slow the game down.

As the first half came to an end, Zac Thompson was presented with another chance from outside the box, but as with previous chances, the home supporters high in the stand behind the goal saw the ball drop high in the stand as the ball sailed over the crossbar.

A minute of extra time was signalled by the fourth official, just as the home side had their first chance of any real threat.  David Connolly came alive on the edge of the Bury box and following a quick one two with Agyemang, fired their first shot on target straight at Trevor Carson who held the ball cleanly.

Half time:  Portsmouth 0 Bury 0

The opening goal came on 50 minutes.  David Worrall and Craig Jones were moving the ball forward quickly and closing in on each other on the edge of the area.  A quick ball from Jones to Worrall saw the Bury winger attempt to flick the ball back into the path of a running Craig Jones, but the home defence cleared quickly allowing the home side to move the ball into the opposite corner through Agyemang.  He showed great strength in holding the ball up well before rolling it to Wallace.  A quick look up and he saw Connolly in acres of space inside the box and with all four defenders chasing the ball into the corner, Connolly received the ball and shot hard and low, through Trevor Carson’s legs, and into the back of the Bury goal.

Goal:  Portsmouth 1 Bury 0 (Connolly 50)

The goal saw Bury heads visibly drop and the spring in the play all but vanished, in fact the spring in the performance thus far seemed to transfer itself into the home side as they visibly raised their game.

A second goal looked to be on the cards and it was no surprise when it did come some 15 minutes later.  A strong shot on goal from Johnny Ertl seemed to have been well saved by Carson, but the ball skidded away to the feet of Connolly and he again confidently stroked the ball home from close range giving the Bury keeper virtually no chance to stop the effort.

Goal: Portsmouth 2 Bury 0 (Connolly 65)

Bury looked to get back into the game and won a corner moments later, the delivery from Craig Jones found the head of Ashley Eastham in front of the 366 travelling Shakers.  His effort looked to be on target but a good block from Moutaouakil saw him push the ball away for a Bury corner.  From the resulting corner, the ball dropped into the six yard box and was easily held by the home keeper.

Bury attempted to get the ball down and play, but never really regained their fluidity that we had seen in the first half.  Passes were going astray, crosses into the box were being easily dealt with by the keeper and the home keeper wasn’t really tested following the second Pompey goal.

The result saw both sides swap places in the table, and Bury now sit rock bottom on goal difference.  

Gate: 11,493 (366)

Advertisement block