Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 02/11/2013

2 November 2013

Bury 1 Torquay United 3

Bury were defeated 3-1 by Torquay United on Saturday afternoon as former manager Alan Knill took all three points at a stormy Gigg Lane


Nathan Cameron got the goal for Bury but goals from Aaron Downes and two from Paul McCallum sealed the victory for Torquay.

Ronnie Jepson made one change to the starting team that played Wycombe with Anton Forrester coming in for the injured Danny Hylton. With Hylton missing out, Ashley Grimes returned to the bench after injury whilst John Rooney missed out as Craig Jones returned.

Bury were the better of the two sides in the opening ten minutes as they created two half chances. First, Anton Forrester nearly connected onto a cross from Shaun Beeley before he was clear of the defence after Andy Procter played the ball over the top. Forrester hesitated with his shot and that allowed Aaron Downes to get back into position and dispossess the Blackburn Rovers loanee.

Three minutes later and another back post cross caused Torquay a problem but Danny Mayor’ diving header was the wrong side of the post and into the side netting.

Brian Jensen was called into action in the 14th minute when he punched out a cross. However, it fell to the feet of Lee Mansell and Jensen reacted quickest to deny the Torquay captain.

Torquay then took the lead as Aaron Downes headed in at the back post. Kevin Nicholson floated a corner to the back post and Downes rose highest to head past Brian Jensen to make it 1-0 to Torquay.

The goal sparked a positive reaction from the Shakers and were back on level terms five minutes after the Torquay goal. Chris Sedgwick put a ball into the middle and William Edjenguele headed it back to Nathan Cameron. Cameron brought the ball down on his chest and fired a low effort past Martin Rice in the Torquay goal.

The game wasn’t level for long though as Torquay grabbed a second in the 29th minute from a similar routine to the first. Nicholson swung a corner to the back post and Paul McCallum headed in past Brian Jensen to give Torquay the lead for the second time in the game.

The action packed first half continued with another chance for Nathan Cameron when Chris Sedgwick’ corner found a way to him in a goal mouth scramble. Cameron swivelled and got a shot away but it was blocked and cleared by the Torquay defence.

Shortly before half time Shaun Harrad nearly had his first league goal of the season but Rice produced a smart save at his near post to deny him.

Rice was in action again early in the second half as he produced a magnificent save to deny Nathan Cameron. Andy Procter hit a volley on the edge of the area and Cameron flicked it on towards the goal. It looked like it was destined for the top corner but Rice produced a wonderful one handed save and it went out for a corner.

Torquay extended their lead in the 56th minute when McCallum fired in his second of the game. Elliot Benyon chased a ball down the right and cut it back for McCallum to fire into the top corner to make it 3-1.

Six minutes after Torquay’s third goal, Regan Walker was brought on for his debut as he replaced Anton Forrester up front.

As the storm started and rain poured down, Nathan Cameron headed just past the post in the 74th minute from Chris Sedgwick’ corner and then Ashley Grimes was introduced to the game in the place of Shaun Harrad.

Bury made their third and final chance in the 78th minute when Craig Jones came on for Chris Sedgwick. Another sub, Ashley Grimes, headed just wide moments after the sub was made after a near post cross from Shaun Beeley.

Torquay’s Jak McCourt hit the post late on before Brian Jensen was forced into making a reaction save from Lee Mansell’ close range effort.

Five minutes were added on at the end of the second half but Bury couldn’t get back into the game and Torquay head back down South with all three points. 

Advertisement block