Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 23/11/2013

23 November 2013

Ronnie Jepson made just one change to the team that faced Cambridge United on Tuesday night, with Nardiello making his first start for the Shakers in place of Shaun Harrad.


The opening salvo came after just two minutes when Chris Sedgwick fired a well-timed cross from the left wing to the outside of the box. The cross fell on the head of Nardiello and his well struck header arrowed into the arms of Dons keeper Ross Warner.


Wimbledon were granted an early chance to take the lead when George Porter latched onto a poor back pass from Danny Hylton.  With Edjenguele rooted to his spot in disbelief, Porter drove the ball forward, but a charging Brian Jensen did enough to kill the chance as Porter fired wide of the goal.


Wimbledon were challenging Bury's back four when Porter made a strong run past Howell.  The on loan Fleetwood man slipped just inside his own box as Porter nipped past him. Porter chipped the ball into the box but Michael Smith's header was cleared of the line by Edjenguele. The deflected ball fell to Smith who's right footed shot was well held by Jensen.


Bury were starting to find their feet when a header from Danny Hylton from the left of the Wimbledon box forced a fine fingertip save from keeper Warner.


Bury took the lead on 35 minutes when Sedgwick and Edjenguélé combined in the corner to keep the ball alive.  A stunning cross from Sedgwick brought a good leap from Danny Hylton, who looped a firm header over Warner to put the Shakers one up.


Goal:  Bury 1 AFC Wimbledon 0 (Hylton 35)


Bury could have doubled their lead within 60 seconds.  Craig Jones had intercepted a Wimbledon pass and charged three quarters the length of the JD Stadium pitch, his sublime cross into the box brought a firmly struck header from Danny Hylton, and his effort looked to be heading to for the top corner, but in the end drifted wide of the post.


Danny Nardiello thought he had grabbed his seventh Bury goal just before the break, after bursting into the box to slide the ball across Warner to find the back of the net, but an offside flag on the far side ruled his effort out


Half time: Bury 1 – Wimbledon 0


Within minutes of the second half starting, the visitors thought they had got back into the game when Michael Smith used power and strength to take the ball to the corner of the six yard area.  With Nathan Cameron tracking the striker, Smith fired a rasping shot that crashed into the side netting.


The next chance fell to Nardiello, who collected the ball after being slipped in by Sedgwick, his firmly struck shot from just inside the box brought a crisp save from Warner.


Andy Procter collected his fifth yellow card of the season soon after, booked for an obvious hand ball, the card will now see Procter watching Tuesdays game from the stands.


A long hopeful ball from former Shaker Peter Sweeney looked as though Cameron would clear the danger, but the centre half suddenly lost his footing and allowed Luke Moore to latch onto the ball as he entered the area, his first touch was to lash the ball past Brian Jensen and into the back of the Shakers goal for their equaliser.

Goal:  Bury 1 AFC Wimbledon 1 (Luke Moore 66)


Another half chance fell to Nardiello with ten minutes remaining, another good pass from Sedgwick, before being replaced by Harrad, found the Bury striker on the edge of the box and his quick shot at goal brought another save from Ross Warner.


The final chance of the game fell to the visitors in the dying minutes of extra-time when Frampton managed to skip through three white shirts and fire a powerful strike towards goal, but to the relief of the Shakers his effort flew wide of the mark, with Brian Jensen diving across his goal to prevent the strike from reaching home.


Final Score: Bury 1 AFC Wimbledon 1


Gate:  2,775 (387 Visitors)

Advertisement block