Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Six shooter Shakers

6 November 2013

Youth Team hit six to progress to the second round of the FA Youth Cup

Alan Moore’s youth team will play Rotherham United in the second round of the FA Youth Cup after a more than convincing 6-2 win against Guiseley AFC at Gigg Lane.  The emphatic in also extended the Youth Team's unbeaten run to eight games.

On a very heavy and wet pitch the Shakers FA Youth Cup campaign got off to the best possible start as they took the lead against Guiseley with just 70 seconds registered on the Gigg Lane scoreboard.  A free kick to the visitors was quickly cleared by the Shakers defence and fed forward to Regan Walker.  His defence splitting pass for Anthony Dudley saw the young striker calmly stroke the ball across keeper Crossley and into the far corner for the opening goal of the game.


Goal: Bury 1 Guiseley 0 (Dudley 70 Seconds)

Four minutes later and a clever turn and run from Liam Bickett almost brought a second goal for the young Shakers.  Collecting the ball just inside the Guiseley half, he charged and flicked the ball around two defenders before firing the ball straight at the visiting keeper who held firm.

Another Bury chance came three minutes later when Brayden Shaw played a high ball towards Sam Dickinson on the edge of the Guiseley box.  Dickinson took the ball on the chest and spun to connect full on the volley as it came down, but could only direct the chance wide of the target.

The heavy conditions began to affect the game with several clearances failing to bounce on the sodden surface, and one such occasion saw Ben Potter slice a clearance that he had top chase and tap away for a visitors corner.

Guiseley’s first chance in the game came on 14 minutes when a clever flick from Ben Whitfield laid to the ball at the feet of Redmond Lee.  His quick pace and close control left the trailing defenders behind and as he stole into the Bury box, he fired a shot that had keeper Barber beaten, but the chance thundered back into play off the post and cleared by Poscha.

Sam Gibson at left back delivered a stunning ball on 20 minutes that again split the visitors defence, though this time Shaw lacked the pace to catch the zipping ball through allowing keeper Crossley to collect.

A third Guiseley corner on 28 minutes saw Dalton’s short corner quickly cleared by the young Shakers, though Guiseley came straight back down the flank through Obere.  However a late challenge from Cook saw Obere crashing to the floor and a dangerous free kick that the Shakers defence quickly cleared.  

Bury doubled the lead on 32 minutes from a corner.  Brayden Shaw’s delivery into the box brought a stunning diving header from Matthew Cook that crashed into the back of the Guiseley goal.

Goal: Bury 2 Guiseley 0 (Cook 32)

Bury increased their lead again on 40 minutes with a stunning passing move.  Potter fired the ball towards the corner for Dickinson to chase, he got to the ball using blistering pace and fired a firm well struck cross into the Guiseley box where Anthony Dudley came crashing through to power the ball into the back of the goal.

Goal: Bury 3 Guiseley 0 (Dudley 40)

Guiseley got a goal back on 43 minutes with a stunning individual effort from Ben Whitfield.  He collected the ball on the edge of the area and danced through the Shakers defence before placing the ball across Barber and into the back of the net

Goal: Bury 3 Guiseley 1 (Whitfield 43)

Regan Walker looked to have been felled on 45 minutes by a stern challenge on the edge of the box, but instead of blowing for a free kick, referee Jones blew for half time.

Half Time: Bury 3 Guiseley 1

Guiseley produced the best moment of the opening moments when Ben Whitfield struck a thunderous shot at goal.  Keeper Jonathan Barber was beaten by the pace of the effort and the ball crashed off the crossbar and onto the line before Barber leapt on the loose ball to hold.

Anthony Dudley had a good chance on 51 minutes when he connected with a Brayden Shaw cross; Dudley’s crisp header though flew straight at the visiting keeper and allowed Crossley to hold the ball.

A Guisley free kick on 52 minutes following a challenge by Poscha saw Whitfield eventually strike the ball into the Bury wall, though their elaborate training ground routine failed to deceive the Shakers defence with two Guiseley players caught offside.

Bury had an excellent chance to increase their lead on 57 minutes when a long ball forward saw the visiting keeper race out of his area, Brayden Shaw tapped the ball around the advancing Crossley and took it to the touch line, he managed to whip the ball back to Walker, but his well struck header flew high over the cross bar.

Guiseley brought on Dale Spink on the hour to replace Dalton and his first touch of the ball was to fire the ball with some pace, straight into the midriff of one of his own players, causing the youngster to collapse in agony.

Bury made it 4-1 on 63 minutes when Regan Walker lofted a high ball into the box, a touch from Dudley saw the ball at the feet of Brayden Shaw and his rolled effort just crept over the line with the keeper back peddling in an attempt to collect

Goal:  Bury 4 Guiseley 1 (Shaw 63)

Bury made it five on 71 minutes with a well worked passing move.  Shaw found Nasseri on the corner of the Guiseley box, his quick flicked cross to the back post found Sam Dickinson who’s easiest task of the night was to guide the ball home

Goal: Bury 5 Guiseley 1 (Dickinson 71)

Guiseley could have grabbed a second goal on 80 minutes when the impressive Ben Whitfield used some trickery and close control to take the ball to the edge of the six yard box, his firmly struck shot was well saved by Barber before Poscha cleared and Bury broke quickly.  The ball eventually fell to Joe Brown and the youngster fired wide of the target from just inside the area.  Moments later, Jake Cliffe and Navid Nasseri combined inside the Guiseley area before Nasseri drove the ball high over the bar

Guiseley did get a goal back on 83 minutes,  a quickly taken throw in found Luke Porrit, his first touch flashed the ball home giving Barber no chance.

Goal:  Bury 5 Guiseley 2 (Porrit 83)

Bury should have made it six on 86 minutes when a clever one two between Burgess and Dudley saw a shot flashed at goal, but a good one handed save from Crossley saw the ball hit away from goal.

Antony Dudley claimed his hat trick in injury time by taking the ball around the keeper and slotted home to make it 6-2 following  another stunning pass from Brayden Shaw that again split the visiting defence right through the middle.

Goal:  Bury 6 Guiseley 2 (Dudley 90+2)

Overall a thoroughly professional performance from the Shakers youngsters, crisp passing despite the heavy surface and some excellent finishing saw them progress through to meet Rotherham United after their win on penalties against Fleetwood Town.  Details of the second round game will be announced once all have been confirmed.

Final Score: Bury 6 Guiseley 2

Bury:  Jonathan Barber, Matthew Cook, Sam Gibson (Brown 75), Liam Bickett (Cliffe 65), Marcus Poscha, Ben Potter, Scott Burgess, Sam Dickinson, Anthony Dudley, Regan Walker (Nasseri 69), Brayden Shaw

Substitutes:  Joe Brown, Connor Keane, Jake Cliffe, George Miller, Navid Nasseri

Advertisement block