Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth: Carlisle 1 - Bury 3

13 November 2013

The young Shakers extend their unbeaten run to 8 games...

In good conditions and on a good surface, Bury’s youth team continued their unbeaten run to 8 games. From the whistle Bury declared their intentions of taking the game to Carlisle and applied early pressure, pinning them back with Bury playing most of their football in the Carlisle half.

Time and time again Bury won possession with the strikers and midfielders tirelessly working their opponents, causing Carlisle to rush passes and give the ball away. The young Shakers kept the ball for long periods of time moving it quickly with attractive combination play and excellent movement to make Carlisle work and chase.

Carlisle had very few passages of play in or around the Bury 18yd box with Bury’s keeper and back 4 remaining solid and sniffing out danger early, limiting Carlisle’s chances.

Bury were creating chances at will with Sam Gibson, Brayden Shaw, Anthony Dudley, Navid Naseeri and Matty Cook all coming close with shots that could have broke the deadlock.

The pressure paid dividends when Navid Naseeri cut inside from the right wing beating his defender, then keeping his composure, he played a one two with Anthony Dudley, before smashing the ball with his left foot from 20yds high into the corner of the Carlisle goal leaving their keeper with no chance. 

26 minutes: Carlisle 0 – Bury 1  

From the restart, play continued with Bury dominating possession, keeping Carlisle on the back foot pressuring them into mistakes and committing them to desperate challenges which resulted in them giving away free kicks in dangerous areas.

Bury capitalised from one of the set pieces when Matty Cook was brought down 10yds outside the right hand side of the 18yd box on 35th minutes. Brayden Shaw whipped the ball over the wall and into the path of Matty Cook who volleyed the ball home from close range to take Bury 2-0 up.

35 minutes: Carlisle 0 – Bury 2

Bury played most of their football for the rest of the first half in Carlisle territory until they over committed in the 44th minute. Carlisle broke on a counter attack on their left flank resulting in the ball being crossed into the Bury 18yd box and landing at the feet of the Carlisle striker, and although being closely marked, he was allowed to turn and shoot resulting in the ball trickling into the bottom right of the goal.  

44 minutes: Carlisle 1 – Bury 2 

Half Time:

At the start of the second-half Bury were again dominating play and continued with territorial supremacy in Carlisle’s half. 

Quick, crisp passing by Bury denied Carlisle any chance of gaining the momentum they needed to press forward and they found themselves defending for long periods of time. The Bury midfield of Cliffe, Dickinson and Burgess constantly probed the Carlisle back four with incisive passes for the willing front men of Dudley, Shaw and Naseeri to run onto, which they did repeatedly causing confusion within the oppositions defence and midfield. Bury’s back five of Barber GK, Gibson, Cook, Poscha and Potter looked determined and resilient; it looked unlikely that Carlisle could turn the tide of pressure that was being forced upon them. 

Again, under extreme pressure, Carlisle conceded a third goal. On a recovery run from an offside position, Anthony Dudley was gifted with the ball from a defenders poor clearance and from 30 yds out he ran at pace towards the two central defenders, chopping from side to side and wrong footing them to calmly side foot the ball into the bottom left hand corner of the goal.

64 minutes: Carlisle 1 – Bury 3 

Throwing caution to the wind, and after making 2 substitutions, Carlisle changed formation and committed more players forwards adopting a more direct approach putting Bury under immense pressure. Carlisle constantly peppered Bury’s 18yd box with crosses and quality diagonal passes making defenders and midfielders back pedal and defend deep. Bury rose to the challenge and defended well, repeatedly heading balls clear and blocking shots, and when Carlisle were on target, Bury’s goalkeeper Barber was alert in goal pulling off some fine saves. 

The latter stages of the game were dominated by Carlisle but Bury showed great character and defended with great determination to bag a well-deserved 3-1 victory, taking them to 7th position in the league.

Full Time: Carlisle 1 - Bury 3

Advertisement block