Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth:Burnley 1 - Bury 3

18 November 2013

The young Shakers battle it out with Burnley to extend their unbeaten league run...

Bury FC youth team stretched their unbeaten league run on Saturday with a hard fought win against a strong Burnley side. The win takes the young Shakers above the Clarets and Preston North End to 5th in the league.

On a windy morning the Shakers started the game with the advantage of having the wind to their backs. It took just two minutes for Bury to test Burnley with Brayden Shaw playing Anthony Dudley for a one v one, but his effort was fired straight at the keeper.

The game failed to gain any real momentum early on as the both sides battled it out in midfield and showed one another a little too much respect.

Bury managed to create another good chance on 20 minute mark when Scott Burgess’ effort was thwarted by the home keeper.

This sparked the home team into life and after a good bit of play on the right wing a cross was tucked away at the near post to give Burnley the lead on 26 minutes.

Burnley 1 – Bury 0

Bury had another two great chance before the break when both Dudley and Burgess again had shots saved but the score was to stay 1-0 to the home side in what was a fairly uneventful first-half.

The second-half with Bury playing into the strong wind was a complete contrast as Bury attacked in numbers out running and out working Burnley on all areas of the pitch.

It took just 5 minutes from the restart for Brayden Shaw to show everybody what he is capable of as he picked the ball up 40 yards out. Shaw drove forward and let fly with a twenty five yard rocket into the bottom corner of the net to bring the young Shakers level.  

Burnley 1 – Bury 1   

Bury had their heads up after the equaliser. Two minutes later Anthony Dudley broke forward cutting inside two defenders and found the same bottom corner as Shaw with his seventh goal in four games since returning from injury.

Burnley 1 – Bury 2

After the goal the game settled into a midfield battle once more for a spell. Burnley then started to take more chances later in the game but failed to really test Bury’s Connor Keane in goal. Bury looked to exploit this by hitting Burnley on the counter attack which created more goal scoring chances.

One of Bury’s chances paid off for Navid Nasseri as he broke from Bury’s half cutting inside the box and striking the ball into the far top corner to complete the scoring on the 84th minute.

Burnley 1 – Bury 3

The young Shakers displayed a solid second-half that saw them take all three points after a somewhat under par first have.

The youth team now look forward to the FA youth cup second round game away to Rotherham on Tuesday evening.

Advertisement block