Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Bury v Newport County

5 October 2013

Bury 0 Newport County 0

Following a draw at home against Southend and defeat away to Dagenham the Shakers were looking to bounce back with a win at home against an experienced Newport side.


Kevin Blackwell brought in 22 year old loanee Jordan Mustoe in place of skipper Gareth Roberts, with Andy Procter being handed the armband in his place. Brian Jensen 'The Beast' made his first league appearance for the Shakers coming in in place of Trevor Carson who left the club on Thursday bound for league two rivals Pompey. Marco Navas also made his first league start.


Bury started the game well pressurising Newport at any opportunity within the 2nd and final 3rd with a series of creative passes and skilful play.


The first real opportunity of the first half fell to Bury. Tom Soares made a threatening run down the wing and struck a powerful cross across the face of goal. The ball looked to be swerving in on goal towards an advancing Anton Forrester, but the cross had too much behind it to reach target Forrester, with the ball falling into the hands of goalkeeper Lenny Pidgeley.


Marco Navas was making a mark on his league debut causing problems for Newport with his sharp, quick, skilful play on the right wing. Half way into the first-half the Spaniard was presented with the best opportunity of the game. He found himself 8 yards out and unmarked in the centre of the box on the receiving end of a perfect ball from Forrester. He took a dive towards the ball in an attempt to head it home but to his dismay the ball fell wide.


The 27th minute brought the first yellow card of the game with referee Richard Clark penalising Harry Worley for a push on an advancing Tom Soares. Jordan Sinnott stepped up to take the free-kick striking the ball over the Newport wall but it was comfortably dealt with by Lenny Pidgeley.


Newport came close to making a mark on the score sheet when a spell of dangerous play from a corner led to a well taken effort by Harry Worley at the far post but Tommy Miller quick to react just off Jensen's line lofting the ball out to safety.

Chances had haltered towards the end of the first-half. Bury could have been forgiven for going off the pitch feeling frustrated as they had been the better side and should have been going into half-time with a 1-0 lead, but the failed attempt by wing man Navas meant the Shakers were coming into the second-half searching for a goal to break the deadlock.


Half - Time – Bury 0 – Newport 0


Bury came into the second-half continuing to search for an opening goal. A deep corner from Jordan Sinnott was met by Andy Procter who managed to place the ball into the centre on the Newport box and onto the head of Tom Soares. Soares did well to get some ground on the ball but he failed to capitalise with his shot sailing straight over the bar.


48 minutes in saw Newport's best attempt of the game. David Pipe fired a right footed shot from the centre of Bury's box but it was easily saved by Jensen.


Bury came close once again with a snappy spell of play by the Shakers down the right side of the pitch from Forrester and Sinnott. Forrester had evaded the challenge of Andy Hughes and found Sinnott just outside the area. Sinnott played a great through ball to Soares who hit a right footed shot from outside the box only to see the ball fly high and wide to the right of the Newport goal.


A well taken goal kick by Brian Jensen was expertly brought down by Navas who managed to beat his man David Pipe and feed a nice cross to his near post. A well-positioned Tom Soares was quick to react with his right foot but he couldn't convert his effort poking the ball wide.


After a change of formation at half-time Newport had slowly started to make their mark on the game putting pressure on the Bury back four. Harry Worley came close to putting the visitors 1 up with a close range header from the centre of the box but it just missed the top left corner.


On the 72nd minute substitute Craig Jones made an advancing run down the wing on the counter attack. Jones played the ball wide to Beeley who managed to play a smart ball from outside the area to Soares inside the box. Soares weighed up the shot and struck the ball with some power but he was unable to keep the ball down; Soares could only watch as the ball flew high over the net and out for a goal kick.


With 10 minutes remaining Newport were awarded a corner after Nathan Cameron had played the ball out to safety. Some pushing and shoving inside the box left some space for Lee Minshull to step up for a header, which forced Jensen into making a quick reflex save over his bar.


Bury's final chance of the game fell to Sinnott. Craig Jones gifted Sinnott the chance after a fabulous run down the centre. Sinnott tried to loft the ball over an advancing Pidgeley, but his right footed effort was scuppered falling into the hands on the goalkeeper.


A strong and confident first-half performance was left un-capitalised by the Shakers, who allowed Newport to edge back into the game in the second-half. Newport had rarely threatened the Bury goal, looking as though they were happy to head back to Wales with a point. Bury came away with a point against a team sitting 9th in the table but were left feeling disappointed with the result.


Sponsors Man of Match: Shaun Beeley.

Attendance 3,093 (226)

Advertisement block