Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 22/10/2013

22 October 2013

Bury 0 Mansfield Town 0

An unchanged Bury line up stepped out to face a Mansfield Town side that have worked their way up League Two and into the play-off positions. Ronnie Jepson stepped out as Bury caretaker manager for the second time in 3 days attempting to lead Bury to their first win in 7 games.

The first real chance of the game fell to Mansfield 10 minutes in. Samuel Clucas played a nice 1-2 near the halfway line causing Mansfield to break down the middle. Colin Daniel took a low shot to the left of the box but his shot didn't have the enough power behind it to cause any problem for Brian Jensen.

Bury's opening chance came when a long ball from Nathan Cameron managed evaded the Mansfield defense. The ball fell to Danny Hylton who line up a shot on goal but his effort had too much behind it resulting in the ball falling wide of Alan Marriott's goal. 

The opening 20 minutes had proved to be an even contest. Both teams had experienced good spells of good play but neither side had proved to be a real threat on goal. 

A mix up between William Edjenguele and Brian Jensen nearly led to a goal for the Stags. Both Jensen and Edjenguele came to meet Lee Beavers, but both failed in the efforts to clear the ball to safety with the ball falling just to the edge of the box. Jensen was quick back to his feet to get back to his line with Edjenguele left covering Blake but somehow Blake managed to whip in a cross finding the head of Rhead, but to the relief of both Jensen and Edjenguele he only managed to knock the ball over the bar.

Bury were beginning to step up the tempo and get themselves on the front foot. Danny Hylton played a perfect ball to the feet of Tom Soares who did well to skip past a couple of challenges from the Mansfield back men. As Soares lined up to take the shot he seemed to slip causing himself to lean back. He could only look on as his 12 yard effort flew over the bar. 

28 minutes in Andy Procter had a low powerful shot just on the edge of the box. It was a good effort from the Bury captain but Marriott was quick to stop the shot ensuring that he held onto the ball as a parried effort would have dropped to a lingering Danny Hylton. 

Jensen prevented Mansfield from taking the lead on 40 minutes with a quick reflex save on Colin Daniel's left footed shot. 
Bury broke on 41 minutes; Chris Sedgwick won the ball from the feet of Matthew Rhead and played down the centre managing to evading the on coming blue shirts. Sedgwick played the ball wide to Shaun Beeley who smartly cut past John Dempster and hit a low cross from the right wing to a advancing Shaun Harrad. Harrad struck the ball towards the low right corner but his effort was brilliantly saved by a fast reacting Alan Marriot.

A very even half came to an end. Either team could have gone into half-time a goal to the good but neither side had taken the advantage.
Half-Time: Bury 0 – 0
Substitution: Danny Mayor on for Tommy Miller

The opening 15 minutes of the second–half lacked any threat from either of the two sides. 

Bury were given an advantage on the 63rd minute when John Dempster was shown a red card for a dangerous challenge on Shaun Harrad leaving Mansfield down to 10 men. Shaun Harrad had been trying to win the ball as he had all night. Harrad had won the ball fairly, but Dempster slid in on the slippery surface with the dangerous challenge that the referee had no choice but to deem as red card worthy. 

64 mins substitution: Ritchie Sutton on for Ollie Palmer

The first chance of the second-half fell to Bury. A mis hit clearance by Mansfield fell to Harrad who turned on the ball and fired a powerful shot but fell straight to the arms of Marriott. 

Minutes later Chris Sedgwick delivered a ball that was the perfect height for Danny Mayor to step up to for an headed effort from 6 yards out but it shot over the bar. 

Bury had hit the ground running in the second-half. Jordan Mustoe played a great through ball to an advancing Danny Mayor and with a quick turn on the ball Mayor was off down the wing. He attempted a low cross from the wide left corner of in box which forced a double save from the keeper. 

72 minutes substitution: Godfrey Poku on for Martin Riley

Bury were searching for a well deserved goal. A long range right footed shot from Tom Soares came close to giving the Shakers an advantage, but Marriott stopped the shot with a good save. 

75 minutes substitution: Anton Forrester on for Chris Sedgwick

Mansfield's Matthew Rhead managed to win a free-kick close to the right corner flag. The cross was driven deep into Bury's crowded box towards Jensen's back post. Jensen rose high to punch the ball out to safety.

Tom Soares came close once again forcing great one handed save from Marriott with a great right footed shot from 25 yards out. Bury's corner resulted in headed effort by Danny Hylton but as he struck the ball he found himself leading backwards which meant he was unable to get any real power behind the ball.

82 minutes substitution: Calvin Andrew on for Matthew Rhead

The referee signaled that there was going to be 7 minutes of extra-time after what had been a heated and tense end to the game. Bury continued to push forward throwing in everything but the kitchen sink. Cross after cross and shot after shot flew into Mansfield box but the luck just wasn't there for Shakers. 

Bury were disappointed with only managing to bag a point after a winning second-half performance. Bury had been the sharper team continuously threatening the Mansfield goal causing them to place every man behind the ball in order to prevent what seemed like an inevitable Bury goal. Despite not being able to pick up a win the Shakers efforts couldn't be faulted. 

Sponsors Man of the Match: Shaun Beeley 

Advertisement block