Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 26/10/2013

26 October 2013

WYcombe 1 Bury 2

It’s just over 17 years since Bury recorded their first win at Adams Park, a warm Tuesday evening in August 1996 saw the Shakers take maximum points with a 1-0 win courtesy of a Ronnie Jepson free kick from around 35 yards, the ball took an awkward bounce just in front of the Wycombe keeper and flew into the back of the net.

Just two months before that game, a young baby was born in Manchester.   Where’s the link we hear you ask – That baby is Regan Walker, the very same youngster that sat on the bench at Adams Park on Saturday afternoon as Ronnie Jepson secured his first win as the Shakers Caretaker manager.

With news of Ronnie Jepson having been appointed caretaker manager until January, Bury were looking for their first win under their newly appointed manager at Adams Park.  Jepson made one change – bringing in Danny Mayor in place of Tommy Miller.  Whilst Miller found himself reverted to the bench, Tom Soares was back in centre midfield.  Soares pushed on whilst Andy Procter was told to sit back to keep an eye on the tip of Wycombe’s diamond – a job he did manfully and effectively.

The game however, was to become the proverbial game of two halves.  The first half chance of the game though fell to the Shakers; a Chris Sedgwick corner was lofted into the middle of the Wycombe area.  Jordan Mustoe, playing in what could be his penultimate Bury game, flicked the ball onto Shaun Harrad.  The Shakers striker snatched a shot off from the edge of the box but watched as his effort was deflected of a Bury shirt and into the hands of a grateful Matt Ingram.

Danny Hylton was the next Shaker try his luck from just inside the area, but his effort flew just wide of the post.  Moments later and Sedgwick again delivered a stunning ball down the flank to Tom Soares, his curling lofted cross brought Ingram scurrying off his line to clutch at the ball before a fast arriving Shaun Harrad at the back post.

Wycombe were the next to have a chance on 14 minutes when Josh Scowen collected the ball half way inside the Bury half.  His only intention was to fire the ball at goal from distance.  His effort stung the palms of Brian Jensen as he produced a diving save to tip the effort around the post for a corner.

From that resulting corner, Scowen delivered the ball high into the box; Lewis flicked the ball on at the near post to find an unmarked Anthony Stewart arriving through the six yard box before he rammed the ball into the back of the shakers goal from close range.  As the Wycombe players turned to celebrate, the inquest began as to how he had been allowed to ghost into the six yard box unmarked.

Goal: Wycombe 1 Bury 0 (Stewart 15)

Bury could, and should have put themselves right back in the game within a minute of the restart.  A stunning ball from Procter released Hylton down the left flank, with a quick drop of the shoulder, the on-loan Rotherham striker left his covering defender and drove a shot on goal from the corner of the box that flashed across the face of goal.

After giving the home side the lead, centre half Stewart fancied his chances form distance, this time collecting the ball around 30 yards out before lashing a ferocious drive on goal, thankfully though his effort rose high to slip over the Shakers crossbar.

From a Bury throw deep in the Wycombe half, the home side cleared their yardarm quickly and fed the ball forward.  The lively Paris Cowan-Hall got the ball into the box and managed to chip it over an advancing Brian Jensen – and over the top of the Shakers crossbar.

Bury were forced to make a change just before half time when Hylton went in for a crunching challenge with a Wycombe defender.  He badly jarred his right knee and was replaced with Anton Forrester.

Within seconds of Forrester coming back into the side, the Shakers had their best effort of the game so far.  Tom Soares floated the ball to Forrester on the corner of the Wycombe box; he took a touch to better the angle and attempted to place the ball into the opposite top corner of the goal, but failed to find the target by a matter of inches.  Forrester was already making a difference

Half Time:  Wycombe Wanderers 1 Bury 0

The second half started with the home side on the front foot.  Matt Bloomfield played an excellent ball over the top of the Shakers midfield to find Cowan-Hall.  He took the ball into the Bury box before attempting to slip the ball under an advancing Jensen, but this time the Shakers shot stopper managed to get a foot to the ball and diverted it away from danger.

Another chance came to the Shakers three minutes later when Sedgwick produced some clever footwork in the corner to deceive Arnold at left back.  His cross to the edge of the area found a charging Tom Soares.  Soares hit the ball first time, but stood watching as his effort again flew over the bar and into the empty stand behind the goal.

Just before the hour, Bury could have got back into the game when a Shaun Harrad cross was half cleared by Joe Kuffour inside his own six yard area.  The Wycombe striker seemed to try and clear but missed the ball completely.  Forrester had turned the other side of the Wycombe player and couldn’t react quick enough to get a foot on the ball before Ingram smashed the ball clear.

Wycombe should have doubled their lead moments later when a shot from a corner saw Jensen beaten, but a good block from Jordan Mustoe on the line prevented the ball from crossing the line, with Shaun Harrad on hand to smash the ball up the park.

Danny Mayor, who on Friday complained about his own form, almost brought Bury level on 63 minutes when a curling shot from the corner of the box drifted millimetres wide of the post and out for a Wycombe goal kick.

Eventually and with Bury applying more and more pressure, the Shakers got back into the game to score their first goal since 28 September.  A fantastic low cross from Danny Mayor into the area found Tom Soares. His first touch was to power the ball into the back of the net from close range to send the visiting 180 supporters into celebration mode.  The goal celebration from the players spoke volumes to those that made the trip and Bury were back in the game.

Goal: Wycombe Wanderers 1 Bury 1 (Tom Soares 69)

The Shakers turned the screw and shifted into high gear now with the home side more or less camped in and around their own area.  A Chris Sedgwick cross from the corner found the head of Shaun Harrad, but somehow Matt Ingram managed to claw the ball away with a one handed save.

Within two minutes, another Sedgwick cross fell to Harrad, though this time with back to goal he attempted the overhead kick from just inside the area.  The effort flew high wide and handsome – but the confidence was flowing through the Shakers as within seconds they were on the charge again.

Shaun Beeley came down the far side in an attempt to cross the ball into the box, but a late challenge from Matt Bloomfield had the Shakers defender rolling on the floor and referee Deadman producing a straight Red Card for the Wycombe player

Moments later, Shaun Harrad drove into the Wycombe box, confidently slipping past two defenders before driving a stern shot into the Wycombe side netting.  Danny Mayor was the next one in the queue as he again drove at goal, but his effort zipped out of play off a home defender from a Bury corner.

Sedgwick’s deep delivery fell perfectly for William Edjenguélé on the back post, and as he did at Burton Albion, powered a great header into the roof of the net to give the Shakers the lead and a glimpse at three points.  Again the celebration from the Shakers showed that team spirit and togetherness if quickly creeping back into the Shakers dressing room.

Goal: Wycombe Wanderers 1 Bury 2 (William Edjenguélé 88)

With minutes to go to the final whistle, Bury showed no signs of time wasting or running the ball into the corner, they went for another goal and Anton Forrester almost got one with a lot shot to the near post, but Ingram saved with a stretched foot.

Finally, after four minutes of injury time, the final whistle went and players celebrated with fans after a stunning second half performance.  Wycombe may have gone down to ten men, but in truth the Shakers were well on top of the game before they lost Bloomfield.

Final Score:  Wycombe 1 Bury 2

Gate:  3,550 (180 visitors)

Advertisement block