Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Dagenham 2 Bury 1

28 September 2013

Shakers undone at Dagenham & Redbridge

A late fight back from Bury wasn’t enough to rescue a point at Dagenham in a closely fought contest at the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham Stadium.

Dagenham took the lead late in the first half and doubled their lead through Rhys Murphy before a late Anton Forrester penalty spurred Bury on.

Kevin Blackwell made two changes to the side that faced Southend with Danny Mayor and Jessy Reindorf coming in for Tom Soares and Shaun Harrad.

The Shakers dominated much of the early possession and create a number of half chances with the best of those falling to Craig Jones. Danny Mayor sent over a deep cross and was met by the leaping Jones at the back post but Chris Lewington was equal to his header and the scores stayed level.

Danny Mayor was becoming a more increasing threat to the Dagenham defence as the first half progressed. First, his deflected shot caused Chris Lewington to make a smart save down low and then he sent over a looping cross for Jessy Reindorf but his header nestled on the roof of the net.

Dagenham took the lead against the run of play in the 42nd minute after Afolabi Obafemi chased down a long ball. He beat his man to the ball and turned back on himself to get inside the Bury area. He tried to curl a shot into the far corner but the effort deflected off a Bury defender and looped over Trevor Carson to give Dagenham the lead.

Heading into half time, Kevin Blackwell would have been wondering how his side went in losing after dominating most of the first half and Dagenham scoring with their first real effort on goal.

Dagenham extended their lead in the 56th minute as Rhys Murphy broke free from the defence. He picked up the ball on the wrong side of Gareth Roberts and attacked the penalty area before slotting past Carson to make the score 2-0 to Dagenham.

Three minutes later and Murphy was in action again with Carson producing a wonderful save to deny the former Arsenal youngster. Zavon Hines aimed a free kick towards goal but Murphy flicked the ball towards the bottom corner and Carson had to go full stretch to keep the Dagenham lead at two goals.

Following Trevor Carson’s double save, Bury made a double sub with Jessy Reindorf and Tommy Miller going off and John Rooney and Jordan Sinnott coming into the action.

Sinnott was involved pretty much straight away as he sent over a deep cross but Anton Forrester’s header lacked power and Lewington claimed the ball easily.

Minutes after Forrester’s header and the 192 travelling Bury fans thought they had pulled a goal back through Craig Jones. His cross was deflected over Lewington but he caught it as he was backpedalling towards the goal. The Bury supporters were adamant that the ball had crossed the line but the linesman didn’t give it and play went on.

Kevin Blackwell made his third and final change in the 64th minute with Chris Sedgwick coming on in the place of Danny Mayor.

In the 85th minute, Bury had another half chance with Jordan Sinnott stinging the palms of Chris Lewington. Sinnott’s corner found its way back to him and he unleashed a first time striker which was too hot to handle and palmed away by Lewington before being cleared by the Dagenham defence.

Bury found a way back into the game late on as Billy Bingham handled in his own area to leave Mr Malone no choice but to give Bury a penalty. Anton Forrester picked up the ball confidently and sent Lewington the wrong way to give Bury fans hope with three minutes left to play.

Forrester was involved again as the fourth official indicated there would be a minimum of four minutes added time. He found himself in space of the edge of the area and managed to get a shot away but Lewington was behind it all the way.

As the four minutes of added time was almost up, Bury almost got an equaliser through an unlikely source. Gareth Roberts received the ball unmarked on the edge of the box and fired a shot towards goal. It looked like it was going in until it took a deflection before hitting the post with Chris Lewington stranded in the middle of his goal. 

From the resulting corner, Nathan Cameron glanced a header across goal but no Bury player could put it in and the final whistle was blown to leave Bury 20th in the SkyBet League Two table.

Gate:  1,604 (192 Travelling Shakers)

Advertisement block