Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Eight goal thriller

26 April 2014

Hallam Hope hits a hat-trick but shakers share the spoils with an eight goal thriller

Hallam Hope became the first Bury player since Ian Lawson in August 1999 to score a league hat-trick as Bury and Portsmouth finished level in an 8 goal thriller.

Andy Procter was the other player to score for the Shakers but they couldn’t hang on as Portsmouth completed a comeback in the last 10 minutes to see the game finish 4-4.

There was one change to the starting eleven that faced York on Easter Monday with the suspended Danny Nardiello being replaced by Clive Platt. There was also a few changes of the bench and with Danny Rose being recalled by parent club Barnsley, Ashley Grimes moved back into the match day squad. 

Youth team players Scott Burgess and Marscus Poscha were also rewarded with a place on the bench.

Bury took the lead early on with Hallam Hope getting his first goal in the 9th minute. Pablo Mills floated the ball towards Clive Platt and he flicked on for Hope to head over Trevor Carson, appearing against his parent club, in the Portsmouth goal.

GOAL: Bury 1-0 Portsmouth (Hallam Hope 9’)

Jed Wallace nearly got Portsmouth straight back into the game but his shot was palmed away by Brian Jensen. In the next Portsmouth attack Wallace fired the ball across the six yard area but no Portsmouth player could make contact and Craig Jones cleared the danger.

With 30 minutes on the clock Clive Platt suffered an injury and was replaced by Andy Procter. He went straight into centre midfield whilst Andrew Tutte moved to the right and Tom Soares playing off Hallam Hope.

Two minutes after the substitution a combination of Trevor Carson, the post and the Portsmouth defence somehow kept out a Pablo Mills header. Chris Hussey swung a free kick to the back post and Mills beat his man in the air and got an effort away towards goal. Carson tipped the effort onto the post and the ball rolled along the goal line before being cleared by the Portsmouth defence.

However it wasn’t long until Bury scored their second and it was Hope who doubled the advantage. Tom Soares played him in and Hope smashed into the back of the net for his second of the afternoon.

GOAL: Bury 2-0 Portsmouth (Hallam Hope 33’)

Hope could have had a first half hat trick in the 43rd minute after he made room for a shot inside the area but Carson saved his shot with his legs and the ball was cleared.

HT: Bury 2-0 Portsmouth

Three minutes into the second half Andy Procter added his name to the scoresheet with a diving header from 12 yards out. Danny Mayor held the ball up in the corner before taking the ball backwards and aiming a cross for the middle of the box. Andy Procter met the ball with a diving header and it skidded off the surface into the far corner.

GOAL: Bury 3-0 Portsmouth (Andy Procter 48’)

The goals were flying in at the JD Stadium but the next goal came from the opposition when Danny Hollands smashed in from close range after the Shakers didn’t clear the danger.

GOAL: Bury 3-1 Portsmouth (Danny Hollands 53’)

Following their goal Portsmouth came close to getting a second within minutes of the first but Brian Jensen saved from Adam Webster and then made a double save by denying Jed Wallace and Ryan Taylor.

After the two quick goals the game quietened down with Bury going closest from a long range Danny Mayor strike and it wasn’t until the 82nd minute when the action got interesting.

Substitute Patrick Agyemang brought the ball down from a long throw in and squared to Ryan Taylor for a tap in from close range to give Portsmouth a chance of gaining something from 3-0 down.

GOAL: Bury 3-2 Portsmouth (Ryan Taylor 82)

Hallam Hope then sealed his hat trick five minutes later and became the first Bury player to do so in a league fixture since Ian Lawson in August 1999 when he scored three goals in a 5-2 win. Hope picked the ball up on the edge of the area and got a shot away to the near post and the ball squeezed in despite Trevor Carson’s best efforts.

GOAL: Bury 4-2 Portsmouth (Hallam Hope 87’)

Bury fans may have been thinking the goalscoring was over there but another two goals went in during the final minutes at the JD Stadium. Another goal mouth scramble brought about Portsmouth’s third goal with the last touch coming off Sonny Bradley, a defender pushed up front by Portsmouth manager Andy Awford.

GOAL: Bury 4-3 Portsmouth (Sonny Bradley 88’)

Four minutes of added time were indicated at the end of the second half and David Flitcroft made his final substitution with Nathan Cameron coming on for Andrew Tutte to have an extra body at the back.
However he was unable to stop Portsmouth’s equaliser deep into injury time. Danny Hollands aimed a long throw in the box and it was half cleared by the Bury defence straight to Wes Fogden at the back post to tap into an empty net.

GOAL: Bury 4-4 Portsmouth (Wes Fogden 90’)

The full time whistle sounded shortly after and ended the final home league game of the season on a sour note. However the result meant that Bury were undefeated at home under David Flitcroft but the run stretches back to before he was appointed, with the last defeat at home coming on the 2nd November against Torquay United.

Bury: Jensen, Hussey, McNulty, Mills, Jones, Mayor, Tutte (Cameron 90), Sedgwick (Obadeyi 65), Soares, Platt (Procter 30), Hope

Advertisement block